Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help please 93 sc400 prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 08:54 PM
bad93sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please 93 sc400 prob

Im new to this forum but not new to the sc400 models but anyway i have a 1993 the ive been having some serious problems with it and here they are when i first got it it had a real bad miss which i belevied to be caused by the mass air flow meter not being hooked up so i hook it up and it ran worse and would shut off if my foot wasnt kept on the gas peddle so i disconected it and it runs alot better no stalling out anyways but then about four days later 250 miles running it with out the maf i got to the gas station and put half a tank in it the all of the suddon it its missing like crazy reaks of exhaust gas enough to burn your eyes and wouldnt go over 35mph so i limp it home and start to test the ignition coils and one was bad at that time so ii shut it off then started it back up and it ran for abt 10 min while i checked other things out and it just died and now both coils were burnt out so i get two brand new coils and it runs again but not great so i figured from what i believed that it was running rich so i pulled all 8 plugs and they where in perfect shape not fouled out at all also checked the gap all 8 set at 0.44 so plugs were not the prob so i checked all plug wires both coil wires all were good so i cleaned the throtle body and ivac valve start it up runs and then it runs even worse so after searching this forum i believed that the guy i bought the car from miss aligned the timing belt when he replaced it and my conclusion was right it was two teeth off on the drivers side cam gear so i corrected that and it ran great well at least for abt 20 miles then it started to run worse than before now it wont hardly rev past 2500rpm its running really rich but plugs still look great both cam sensors are good and crank sensor to even checked the wiring to all three both igniters are good both coils are good its firing on all eight cyl and distributor caps and rotors buttons are in good shape and triple checked the timing maks and its perfectly aligned still but it just wont run right still missing really bad wont hardly rev up even worse in gear just cant figure this one out so any help would be appreciated also checked the codes cause the light was on only getting 24-31-71 iat maf and egr but 24-31 are because maf and iat are disconected and egr is not stuck open its fully closed so its not that either please help me with this one guys
Old 05-09-12, 11:05 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

not to play grammar ****, but perhaps editing your post to not be a wall of text would help us be able to read and follow your post
Old 05-10-12, 05:00 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the MAF is still disconnected and you cant figure out why it runs bad? older cars usually dont or cant run without a MAF, Only obd2 can sometimes get away with it.
Old 05-10-12, 05:37 AM
bad93sc
Driver School Candidate

so you think i could be running that way because of the maf being disconnected.but why did it take over 20 miles to start doing it after i had fixed the missaligned timing belt.cause it ran great for a good 25 min but then back to same old crap just worse.