Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could this actually do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 12:01 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this actually do anything?

Here a site that shows a fairly innovative idea. They took a Garrett turbo and used a high powered electric motor hooked up to two car batteries and made a weird supercharger.

http://www.xsturbos.com/

What does anyone think of this? If it gains as advertised, it'd be well worth it.

I've heard it works from some people and there are always those naysayers that say this won't work without really looking at it. I'm after more informed opinions that explain WHY it wouldn't work, or WHY it would work? The concept makes sense.
Old 05-04-12, 12:32 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Wont work,

It makes sense, but in reality it doesnt. Think about it like this most superchargers than run that same amount of PSI/boost are run off the engine serpentine belt. Knowing that you should already know an electric motor which looks no bigger than the size of a wiper motor will not be able to produce any effects, most likely produce worse then not having that installed. It will hinder or slow down intake flow, from my point of view along with putting more of a drain on your electrical system.
Old 05-04-12, 12:38 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
Wont work,

It makes sense, but in reality it doesnt. Think about it like this most superchargers than run that same amount of PSI/boost are run off the engine serpentine belt. Knowing that you should already know an electric motor which looks no bigger than the size of a wiper motor will not be able to produce any effects, most likely produce worse then not having that installed. It will hinder or slow down intake flow, from my point of view along with putting more of a drain on your electrical system.
Would the electrical drain still occur given that it uses two batteries? It seems like it would still have ample charge if that's the case.

I'll see what I can find out on the motor they use. If what they say about the motor, that it does 628CFM at 6PSI, is that enough to feed our V8 moreso than a BFI?

I'm still curious for other answers.
Old 05-04-12, 01:33 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a high powered leaf blower.
Old 05-04-12, 01:43 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by fried_rice
Get a high powered leaf blower.
A leaf blower does not create compression, this SUPPOSEDLY does. I've seen that article on the Corvettes that actually had gains from using leaf blowers, which is partly what piqued my curiosity here. Sine a leaf blower is not an air compressor and can still generate measurable gains, wouldn't this do a better job if the motors are comparable?
Old 05-04-12, 02:06 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Here's an article that is very odd.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...r/viewall.html
Old 05-04-12, 03:32 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

WILL NOT WORK. You see here.... The compressor fins etc is coneected to a shaft, this shaft spins at very very high rpms and is balanced. This shaft is oil and coolant cooled usually, at least oil.

That compressor with a pos electric motor on the back, has no shaft will not be in balance, and has no lubrication. As far as I am concerned that thing will last about 10 minutes before the blades dig into the inducer.
Old 05-04-12, 03:37 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

O and the leaf blower article... 1 pound of boost.... you might as well not even bother unless you can push 5. By then it would have been cheaper and easier to buy a turbo or supercharger to begin with,.
Old 05-04-12, 09:12 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Can somebody give me the link to the 1000hp moped I've been looking 4. LOL

Just put a real forced induction device stop looking up medicine man fixes. Sorry but the wheel is already created.
Old 05-04-12, 09:50 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Can somebody give me the link to the 1000hp moped I've been looking 4. LOL

Just put a real forced induction device stop looking up medicine man fixes. Sorry but the wheel is already created.
By your logic, we'd still be using Zack Morris or Gorden Gekko phones.

Look, Subaru and BMW are using electric turbos in new cars. Obviously, there is some truth to the technology. Thomas Knight has had one in production for years and had real results. Brushless motors apparently are something that are supposed to have enough oomph to make something like this work.

It seems you didn't really read the original post. I'm not looking for "opinion" one way or the other, I want to dissect the technology and explore the possibilities of what would work about this idea and what wouldn't. I'm looking for a serious discussion on why this idea would or would not work, IE it doesn't produce enough CFM to feed the V8 or it does, something maybe on fluid dynamics, the conservation of energy, SOMETHING besides "durrrrr, that won't work because I said so, durrrrrr." WHY wouldn't it work, what might make it work, let's have a REAL conversation on the subject. I have spoken to a few people who have used these and the people who plop it in and expect it to work with no other modifications tend to be against it and those that make modifications like using deep cycle battery banks with farad capacitors to power the thing say that they do work. That's the kind of discussion I'm interested in having.
Old 05-04-12, 10:06 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Well since BMW and others are using it as you stated then it must be good Like the Ford Pinto, All the Chrysler K cars ETC. ETC. but in case you haven't noticed we live in a very EPA controlled world and although in principle the idea has merit Like drilling off the coast of Florida for energy it at the end of the day is simply just trying to recreate the wheel. FYI I am a Engineer but the electric motor in this particular application has a life span of a mosquito now lets have the engine produce electrical energy like in a ocean liner, the US navy ships or even a locomotive now you have something or just bolt on a turbo like all those 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder Trucks have been doing for years moving there 40ton loads around with and powering our commerce with for generations.

The idea has some validity but not efficient on a car maybe a lawnmower start small and improve from there.
Old 05-04-12, 10:07 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Here is another example here:

http://www.superpowercharger.com/index.htm

Here's also a much better discussion of the idea:

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/techn...-(a-real-one)/

http://hondaswap.com/forced-inductio...316/#linkbacks
Old 05-04-12, 10:13 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Well since BMW and others are using it as you stated then it must be good Like the Ford Pinto, All the Chrysler K cars ETC. ETC. but in case you haven't noticed we live in a very EPA controlled world and although in principle the idea has merit Like drilling off the coast of Florida for energy it at the end of the day is simply just trying to recreate the wheel. FYI I am a Engineer but the electric motor in this particular application has a life span of a mosquito now lets have the engine produce electrical energy like in a ocean liner, the US navy ships or even a locomotive now you have something or just bolt on a turbo like all those 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder Trucks have been doing for years moving there 40ton loads around with and powering our commerce with for generations.

The idea has some validity but not efficient on a car maybe a lawnmower start small and improve from there.
What about replacing the motor with a brushless motor, or taking the turbo and fabricating a way for it to become belt driven? What about a Kollmorgen Industrial Brushless Motor type thing, or something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEG-MODICON-...#ht_1221wt_790 ?

I think there are possibilities here of some sort and I'd like to explore the idea more.
Old 05-04-12, 10:15 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

BTW the Chrysler K cars could be beat to death and they'd drive forever. What kind of an engineer are you specifically? What do you work on?
Old 05-04-12, 10:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
Your second link the zukiworld is a Trojan horse so suggest you check you anti virus settings

Quick Reply: Could this actually do anything?