Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tuning for dummies???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 09:48 AM
2j300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for dummies???

I am new to turbo/ injected/ECU run cars, What I mean is that the extent of my knowledge of tuning is on Carb; Pretty basic stuff. I am always open to acquire more knowledge about my car though. What suggestions do you have for reading material whether internet or paper based for tuning. Assume I have minimal knowledge about the subject. Thanks in advance, any info helps!!!
Old 05-04-12, 10:23 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

OP if your seriously looking to either become a tuner/tune your own car, or just really want a good bit of knowledge, I suggest looking into the EFI 101 classes put on by EFI university and taught by Ben Schrader

Last edited by Knuckleup; 05-04-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 10:45 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

lol^ thats if hes looking to make money and have a certificate.

first you need a wideband and common sense. watch the wideband and take out fuel or add it accordingly. in boost i would stay between 10.5-12.5, cruising id say 13-15 but 14.7 is ideal.
Old 05-04-12, 10:58 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

The class could offer him a good bit of knowledge he may not have. I didn't suggest it so that he could make money. If someone has never tuned before, and you gave them a wideband, a little bit of common sense, and a dyno, would you let them tune your car Bryan? Because I know I wouldn't. Telling someone what AF's to shoot for is one thing. Showing them how to do it properly is another. Just my opinion.
Old 05-04-12, 11:06 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tuning is a trade of sorts, so that means a lot of guys who use this trade are about as willing as telling you how to do it, then the 60-year old tech with 100k in snap on letting you use his tools.

Bryan has good points as a generalization, but it all boils down to 3 things:

Boost, timing, static compression.

Pick two.

If you have a lot of boost, you can't have a 11.0:1 Compression ratio and lot of timing advance.

If you have a lot of static compression, you can't have a lot of boost or timing advance.

If you have a lot of timing advance, you can't have a lot of Boost or Compression.

That and the fuel available (91, 93, E85) to you are all things to keep in mind when tuning your car.

Things needed:

-Wideband

-Programmable Engine management box. (Mega-squirt Series, SAFC, AEM FIC, MAP ECU)

-A Brain

Common sense is a big part of it, a lot of the time green comes in the shortly after, blown pistons.

I mean, if the MODS wanted to start a "Tuning" sub-forum...

Last edited by spoolxexo; 05-05-12 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 11:13 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

I agree. There definitely needs to be a tuning sub forum. I also agree with tuning being a trade of sorts.
Old 05-04-12, 12:40 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Start here.

The wideband that someone else mentioned is kind of a prerequisite before you do ANYTHING. At the very least, it teaches you what a "normal" ECU does when just driving around.
I know I personally freaked out and shat my pants years ago when I first lifted off the throttle in gear and saw my AFR's jump past 22:1. The standard "oh 14.7 is perfect" response really doesn't cover much of tuning at all. Pick up the book and you'll learn when 12.8 is a good number, when you should see 14.7 or even when its safe to see 16.2.
Old 05-05-12, 09:00 AM
2j300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Managem...6160157&sr=1-2

Start here.

The wideband that someone else mentioned is kind of a prerequisite before you do ANYTHING. At the very least, it teaches you what a "normal" ECU does when just driving around.
I know I personally freaked out and shat my pants years ago when I first lifted off the throttle in gear and saw my AFR's jump past 22:1. The standard "oh 14.7 is perfect" response really doesn't cover much of tuning at all. Pick up the book and you'll learn when 12.8 is a good number, when you should see 14.7 or even when its safe to see 16.2.
Wow... This has turned in to quite the thread. Anyways I know that no book is going to have all the answers I need for my car, and I don't want someone to just give everything to me, I bought the car as my project and I want to learn all that I can. Basically I was looking for something I could read that had general knowledge for tuning and tips on how the ecu works in relation. Simple enough question I thought. It appears that I have finally found what I am looking for though, Thanks!
Oh by the way, I'm looking at running Map Ecu3 with 750cc. I have a denso 280lph pump a Turbonetics t66 and other than that the 2JZ-GTE is all stock. I think I'm forgetting something...
Old 05-05-12, 11:40 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2j300
Wow... This has turned in to quite the thread. Anyways I know that no book is going to have all the answers I need for my car, and I don't want someone to just give everything to me, I bought the car as my project and I want to learn all that I can. Basically I was looking for something I could read that had general knowledge for tuning and tips on how the ecu works in relation. Simple enough question I thought. It appears that I have finally found what I am looking for though, Thanks!
Oh by the way, I'm looking at running Map Ecu3 with 750cc. I have a denso 280lph pump a Turbonetics t66 and other than that the 2JZ-GTE is all stock. I think I'm forgetting something...
Good luck with the project, you just need time, brains and money and all will work out of course not necessarily in that order.

Time we all could probably use more of.
Brains are sometimes the key along with some practical engine knowledge as all engines are really just large air pumps so the basics are constant air, fuel,timing and of course egt's .
Money is something that you can be sure you will be lighter on after going boost.

Just have fun with your project and don't lose sight of the enjoyment.
Old 05-05-12, 06:42 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guy please stop, we are all here to help/learn form each other.

OP, GL with your project.