Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The dreaded "Click" from the starter - 1jzgte A340LE

Old 05-03-12, 02:21 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded "Click" from the starter - 1jzgte A340LE

Soo this is more of a rant then anything.

So i went to go look at a new apartment today. I arrived at the complex and talked to the lady for a little bit, then went to go see the town house. Came back and tried to start my car, and at first it tried to start. Like one last valiant effort from a dying man. However it wasnt enough to turn the motor completely over like it had in the past few weeks (car would hesitate to start, but have enough *umph* from the starter to turn the motor over after a moment of nothing).

A resident of the complex was near by so i asked her to see if shed let me get a jump. She accepted almost immediately and threw me her keys to turn her car around and hook everything up.. this was kinda strange since i have no idea who she was, and i could have stolen her car - i live right outside the city.. (i guess she thought i was cute?). So, i hooked everything up, let it sit for a few minutes. Try to start it and *whomp whomp whomppppp* nothing. I called my friend to give me a ride since i had a appointment in a hour to see another house. After about two hours of letting the car rest I come back and try to start it. Nothing again, of course. We tried jumping it again with his camaro, still nothing. All of my accessories turned on, electric fans switched one..etc. but nothing from the starter. My last thought, *read as hope* was that the battery had the volts to run my electronics but not the amperage to start the car. Took the battery out that i purchased this past December, and drove to where i purchased it, my local Advanced auto. He ran the test and it came out perfect, so i know my alternator is charging my battery.. and my battery is good! Sooo its the starter, well from what i read, the starter solenoid.

Luckly, I have a friend who works at napa and got me a new starter for 100 bucks. and il have it tomorrow! Saturday another friend is coming over with jackstands and a jack and a few sockets so i can pull the starter out at my apartment.. as long as i can get it started tonight just to drive it home. if so ill park it and use my gf's car to go to work in the morning.

I swear, nothing ever just.. WORKS.

/rant
Old 05-05-12, 02:22 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

new starter in place.

just so you all know, the ALL USDM and JDM 2jzgte starters are the same weither its from a auto or manual.
HOWEVER

1) the usdm 2jzgte starter is alot bigger, it looks like it wont fit, and it doesnt have a nose that goes into the transmission like the jdm aristo starter has (its also smaller in size) however it will fit the same, and you will be able to use it!

2) the starter lead will not snap into place, i just used zipties to hold it on. what you can do is cut it off and crimp a spade connector on and slide it on there... either way works.

happy motoring
Old 05-05-12, 06:36 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I got lucky...my starter gave up the ghost in the garage after I had driven it the night before
Old 05-05-12, 07:07 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, This is nothing... Wait till one day you own a DSM... you will look back on this and feel like a little kid.

DSM, where swapping heads, and blocks is a weekly procedure to drive to mexican store for fajita mix,.
Old 05-05-12, 08:58 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I had a 94 eclipse...in the 3 years I owned it I had nowhere near as many problems as I have with the sc lol