Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with temp gauge needle.

Old 05-03-12, 02:15 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with temp gauge needle.

So I recently picked up my 1995 sc400 dwp with almost perfect interior. My 4th sc but first 400. Neway today I way driving and notices the my temp needle was all the way hot, I almost ****** myself. I immediately pulled over and popped the hood. It was a little low on water, I walked almost two miles to a gas station to get some water. By the time that I got back at least two hours had gone by I filled it up with water and turned the car to the on position the needle read normal. I let it run for about five mins and the temp stayed stable. I turned around and proceeded home. I stopped at a light and when I took off the temp gauge when back up to hot as I let off the gas the needle came back down as if it was crossed with the rpm gauge. At another light I took off and the same thing happened I tapped the cluster and it when back to normal temp. It happened again and now the gauge is stuck on hot. Has this ever happened to anyone and what do I have to do the fix it. Seeing that gauge all the way hot freaks me out.
Old 05-03-12, 03:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

When the temp gauge goes up, go disconnect the ECT and see if temp goes down, of not you could have a bad gauge or a shorted wire in the ECT
Old 05-03-12, 03:50 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, thats pretty interesting. if anything my gauges dont start reading until i give them the good ol' sc love tap ontop the cluster.

as for your temp gauge not working, is it a stock motor? just curious because if your swapped, you need to jump a wire to make it read correctly or itll be all the way to the top
Old 05-03-12, 04:45 PM
flsc300
Rookie

I'm sorry not to familiar with the 1 uz where is that I searched but can't seem to pin point where it's at. Thank you guys for your quick responses and help.
Old 05-03-12, 07:08 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is your hydrolic fan working?

do you have any coolant leak?

how does the thermostat looks like?

it could be alot of things.

it will overheat if you have air in the system .
Old 05-04-12, 04:56 PM
flsc300
Rookie

I dont believe the car is over heating I think it's a gauge issue. I'm not sure what can I do to make the gauge work correctly.
Old 05-04-12, 09:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flsc300
I dont believe the car is over heating I think it's a gauge issue. I'm not sure what can I do to make the gauge work correctly.
Try what i told you to do.
Old 05-07-12, 04:34 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Ok I did wha you said and he temp needle did go down so I bought a new coolant temp sensor and also the other sensor thats next to it. I replaced them both and it was still reading hot. I switched the car off and let it sit for a bit. When I turned it back on there its reading all the way cold and airbag light is on WTF........ I figured there is something wrong with my cluster. When out and bought another cluster came home plugged it up same thing airbag light is on and no temp reading. Idk what is wrong it's really frustrating is there any kind of fuse or any other wiring that I can check. I checked the cluster harness and all the wires are secured. Please I'm beyond frustrated right now. Thank you again for all of your help guys
Old 05-07-12, 08:43 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flsc300
Ok I did wha you said and he temp needle did go down so I bought a new coolant temp sensor and also the other sensor thats next to it. I replaced them both and it was still reading hot. I switched the car off and let it sit for a bit. When I turned it back on there its reading all the way cold and airbag light is on WTF........ I figured there is something wrong with my cluster. When out and bought another cluster came home plugged it up same thing airbag light is on and no temp reading. Idk what is wrong it's really frustrating is there any kind of fuse or any other wiring that I can check. I checked the cluster harness and all the wires are secured. Please I'm beyond frustrated right now. Thank you again for all of your help guys
When you disconnect the ECT did you try to wiggle the wires? I'm not sure if your car has a seperate temperature sensor for the gauge or not. Try that. If all tests fine, and car is really not overheating, I think you got a bad gauge. But you must do the wiggle test and find out if you got a seperate temp sensor of the gauge.
Old 05-08-12, 03:01 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Ok so I figured it out my car does have a separate sender for the cluster. Today I was so tired of dealing with it I figured that I'm just gonna return the parts I bought from autozone being that it wasn't the problem. I took out the gauge ect first and was like lemme just check if the old one works so I put the old one back in and it cluster started working. I was like thanks autozone you made me spend 200 on a new cluster and two days of frustration because their part wasn't working. ...... I went back to autozone and they didn't want to take it back cause it had already been installed I ripped them a new a** and finally they returned it. So the ect had to be replaced thanks you guys but the cluster ect didn't. I just figured as I'm already in their why not. Moral "don't fix it if it ain't broken". Thanks again guys for all your help.
Old 12-15-13, 03:19 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Coolant sender gauge

If you are looking for the sensor that the gauge takes its readings from, it is called the "sender gauge" or the "coolant sender gauge". It has just 1 pin on the connector plug. Not 2 pins on the plug like the typical coolant temperature sensor. You can type "gs300 coolant sender gauge" on ebay and they are around 13$ each