Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny Flush???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 10:19 PM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Flush???

Hey All,

Just got a 95 SC400 with 130k. I don't believe the tranny has ever been flushed. Not even really sure when or if the fluid has ever been changed. Should get a professional flush performed or should I just drain and fill? Either way I have a new filter in hand already.

Thanx
Old 04-30-12, 10:26 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Preferably flush.

Here is how to change the filter;
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...anschange.html

And here is how to do a flush;
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html
Old 05-01-12, 09:59 AM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny Flush

Thanx, awesome instructions. Should I do the filter and then flush or flush and then filter? Should I use any type of tranny flush product like the Amsoil tranny flush or just flush with new fluid?

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Preferably flush.

Here is how to change the filter;
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...anschange.html

And here is how to do a flush;
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html
Old 05-01-12, 10:04 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Follow the way he did the flush. Through the cooling lines. I wouldn't recommend using any tranny flush fluid as I've never tried using one. Just drain, remove the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, refill lost fluid, then do the flush. 12 quarts of ATV IV was enough for me when I did mine.
Old 05-01-12, 11:40 AM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny Flush

OK thanx man. Will be doing this weekend. I appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Follow the way he did the flush. Through the cooling lines. I wouldn't recommend using any tranny flush fluid as I've never tried using one. Just drain, remove the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, refill lost fluid, then do the flush. 12 quarts of ATV IV was enough for me when I did mine.
Old 05-01-12, 11:56 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

dont do it!!! slippage will occur. i would just drain/fill then again at 10k till fluid becomes cleaner. auto trannies need the metalic material in the fluid that has been there for years prior for the clutch packs to function properly since service hasnt been normal. i always go against full flushes with customers and tell them why. i refuse to do this service on cars that havent had it done on service dates. some of them would get it done at other shops but eventually come back to have the trans changed
Old 05-01-12, 04:22 PM
dtLS400
Driver

Originally Posted by chingpo05
dont do it!!! slippage will occur. i would just drain/fill then again at 10k till fluid becomes cleaner. auto trannies need the metalic material in the fluid that has been there for years prior for the clutch packs to function properly since service hasnt been normal. i always go against full flushes with customers and tell them why. i refuse to do this service on cars that havent had it done on service dates. some of them would get it done at other shops but eventually come back to have the trans changed
ive heard this from other people too that doing a flush will cause problems, maybe the type of flush youre talking about is different... ie; power flush, that is what ive heard to stay away from when it comes to lexus autos. i follwowed the flush through the trans fluid cooler lines and stopped when the fluid coming out was nice and red instead of the brown that had been there since factory. i poured in the same amount of fluid that came out. new fluid of course (toyota t-iv @ 64.95 for 12 qts.) i drove it about 100 miles with the new fluid and i felt a difference in the way the transmission downshifts into first, a lot smoother and i dont hear any clicking... the next day i decided to do the pan gasket and filter. it drove even smoother
Old 05-01-12, 04:48 PM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny Flush

My research has told me to definitely to stay away from a power flush. But the majority consensus is that a complete drain and fill until clean fluid comes out is what should be done. IE: A gravity flush if you will. Especially if the fluid is really old. Which makes total sense to me. I can't see how leaving any old and broke down fluid in the tranny is good in any way. But I'm still learning so I have until this weekend to make my final decision. I do respect everyone's opinion and I appreciate any and all help.

Originally Posted by dtLS400
ive heard this from other people too that doing a flush will cause problems, maybe the type of flush youre talking about is different... ie; power flush, that is what ive heard to stay away from when it comes to lexus autos. i follwowed the flush through the trans fluid cooler lines and stopped when the fluid coming out was nice and red instead of the brown that had been there since factory. i poured in the same amount of fluid that came out. new fluid of course (toyota t-iv @ 64.95 for 12 qts.) i drove it about 100 miles with the new fluid and i felt a difference in the way the transmission downshifts into first, a lot smoother and i dont hear any clicking... the next day i decided to do the pan gasket and filter. it drove even smoother
Old 05-01-12, 05:18 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Only thing I cam say is, don't compare a Lexus/Toyota A/T to any other car brand. There are a lot of other car brands that has real major problems with their transmissions. So if you're working on a Lexus tranny, do a Lexus tranny research and not other car brand research and comparing. Good luck.
Old 05-02-12, 04:10 PM
LEX56
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had tranny flush service performed on my GS at 90K for $260 at the Lexus dealership. I'm not sure if they performed a power flush or not but the rep. told me that over 8 quarts came out and the oil was black. I would notice occasional downshift slippage before especially from 3rd to 2nd gear but it seems to have disappeared after the flush. The tranny is downshifting very smoothly now. There would also be minor slippage when quickly shifting from R to D without coming to a complete stop which I have not yet experienced post flush. So far I'm extremely happy with the flush service. This service is recommended at 120K but I decided to get it done at 90K since I plan on keeping the car for a while.
Old 05-02-12, 09:35 PM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I'm gonna do it this weekend. Got a new filter and gasket. Gonna pick up a case of fluid Friday.
Old 05-10-12, 07:03 AM
rcgo88
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for everyone's help. I got it done last weekend and it went pretty smooth. I went with a Beck/Arnley filter. Cleaning off the old pan gasket was the longest part of the process. Stripped a couple bolt holes for the pan due to the holes on the rubber gasket being a bit small and causing the bolt to cross thread. No big deal, the ole tap and die set paid for itself again. The magnets had very little debris and the old fluid was dark but not black at all. Overall I feel very good about the condition of the tranny.