Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blown head gasket or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 01:47 PM
Yambeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket or something else?

I get a lot of white smoke at start up but goes away as car is idling. Never had white smoke while driving and never overheats. When I start the car after driving a while there is no white smoke. White smoke has a fuel smell to it. Does this sound familiar to any of y'all?
Old 04-29-12, 02:22 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a leaking injector that will pool fuel in the cylinder, might also be a valve seal going. when the seal starts to deterierate it will cause oil to seep past when it is cold and upon startup you will see a puff of smoke.

is this a cold or hot engine concern?
Old 04-29-12, 02:25 PM
Yambeezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nova
could be a leaking injector that will pool fuel in the cylinder, might also be a valve seal going. when the seal starts to deterierate it will cause oil to seep past when it is cold and upon startup you will see a puff of smoke.

is this a cold or hot engine concern?
It only happens on cold starts and when not started for a couple hours or so. Temp never gets past half way mark. If its a valve seal how crucial is that to fix? Is it a must fix now?
Old 04-29-12, 02:29 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

valve seal will continue to cause oil to seep and if you dont keep on top of it there is the possiblility of consuming enough oil to blow the motor.

so if that didnt scare u u could always just check the oil level. valve seal replacement is an indepth job though so i would take the later advice.
Old 04-29-12, 02:33 PM
Yambeezy
Driver School Candidate

valve seal will continue to cause oil to seep and if you dont keep on top of it there is the possiblility of consuming enough oil to blow the motor.

so if that didnt scare u u could always just check the oil level. valve seal replacement is an indepth job though so i would take the later advice.
I hav been checking oil level and it's not consuming oil. I was just reading a thread about white smoke and power steering and I just looked under the car and I see trans fluid on the alternator. Mayb my pump and acv is bad?
Old 04-29-12, 02:41 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

are you working on a sc300 or sc400?
Old 04-29-12, 02:52 PM
Yambeezy
Driver School Candidate

are you working on a sc300 or sc400?
I'm working on 92 sc400
Old 04-29-12, 08:32 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

hopefully someone with a 400 can chime in for ur tranny fluid question then i only have experience with the 300
Old 05-01-12, 06:59 AM
invasion
Driver School Candidate

prob. looking at a valve stem seal issue based on your description of the symptoms. it will not consume tons of oil but a few drops +- every evening there fore keeping track of the oil( not going to lose a qt. in a day). check it atleast once a week and you should be fine. This could lead to fouled plugs later down the road and the leak will slowly get worse. This is all based on the info you have provided and is only my opinion of a likely possibility.
Old 05-04-12, 06:05 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i got quoted 800-1200 to do the valve seals in my car. i decided if i was going to pay that much JUST for labor i might as well get a rebuilt head and put it in.

this is what we found when i decided to replace my valve seals.. but ended up replacing the head. good thing i made that choice:

but like you said, it only happens on cold start ups and sometimes after restarting the car after coming to a quick stop to get gas. it would smoke WHITE! next time you go to start your car and you know itll smoke. as soon as you start it run back to smoke and smell it. if it smells like gas or oil its the valve seals.. if it smells sweet then you have a headgasket issue

Last edited by bryan767; 05-04-12 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 06:51 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bryan767
i got quoted 800-1200 to do the valve seals in my car. i decided if i was going to pay that much JUST for labor i might as well get a rebuilt head and put it in.

this is what we found when i decided to replace my valve seals.. but ended up replacing the head. good thing i made that choice:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^many years of poor oil changing schedule^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but like you said, it only happens on cold start ups and sometimes after restarting the car after coming to a quick stop to get gas. it would smoke WHITE! next time you go to start your car and you know itll smoke. as soon as you start it run back to smoke and smell it. if it smells like gas or oil its the valve seals.. if it smells sweet then you have a headgasket issue
^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck!!!!!
Old 05-04-12, 07:09 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

I know right. Previous owner neglected it..

Good luck
Old 05-04-12, 07:14 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Send the old heads to the machine shop get them hot tanked and surfaced change the seals and guides, bead blast the valves confirm straight an resell them to recoup some of your money.

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-04-12, 07:16 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Only issue with reman heads is now you need HG's and studs.
Please don't reuse the factory Torque to yield bolts.
Old 05-04-12, 07:53 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i used a 2jzgte headgasket and arp headstuds and retorqued the head after 500 miles. i sold that head already to a friend whos actually building it. my new head was 350 bucks but i had to get it machined and tanked (it had some oil still in it, but it was clean). runs better then ever and no puffs of smoke

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket or something else?