Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lextreme Torque Converter and WHP

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 10:55 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lextreme Torque Converter and WHP

What amount of drivetrain loss would the Lextreme unit diminish, and what effect would it have on WHP?
Old 04-20-12, 12:53 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask lextreme maybe?
Old 04-20-12, 01:45 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Ask lextreme maybe?
They have a disclaimer on power, I was hoping someone here had a dyno or some other idea.
Old 04-20-12, 02:03 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
What amount of drivetrain loss would the Lextreme unit diminish, and what effect would it have on WHP?
None.
Just lets you get into the proper powerband quicker.
Old 04-21-12, 01:40 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
None.
Just lets you get into the proper powerband quicker.
Yes, but would the dyno be any higher since more is at the wheels earlier?
Old 04-21-12, 03:42 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Should be exactly the same. The gear they dyno in is locked up so the number will not be changed. Overall, in the span of a 1/4 mile (or whatever distance you want to compare), your car will lay down more average horsepower to the ground (so to speak) but not actually higher peak numbers. Best way to measure this? I say do a few 1/4 mile times if you're looking to quantify just how much faster your car is now.
Old 04-21-12, 05:11 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off the line will be better since everything below the stall speed (~2800 rpm) is multiplied. It should give you real traction problems with an open diff.

My rear main seal is shot and when I get the $$ to fix it I'll grab their torque converter too since it's all got to come out anyway.
Old 04-21-12, 05:22 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Dont know much about toyotas yet, but from what I have seen of f-bodies/mustangs the dyno numbers read lower with high stall tq converter
Old 04-21-12, 09:44 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

OK, what does it do to the 0-60 times? I'm sure it doesn't dip into the 5 second range, but what is the usual measured improvement?
Old 04-21-12, 10:40 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

a torque converter doesnt add horsepower. itll bring more acceleration in, earlier on your power band. if you can keep full traction youll quarter mile will go down slightly.
Old 04-22-12, 01:02 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by bryan767
a torque converter doesnt add horsepower. itll bring more acceleration in, earlier on your power band. if you can keep full traction youll quarter mile will go down slightly.
Well, maybe...... I do have a modded custom exhaust......High flow cats, x-pipe, Magnaflows......and of course the free BFI. It should still run a decent quarter mile.

My off-the-line performance is horrible. My wife's stock '03 GS300 Sport takes my car with no problems.
Old 04-22-12, 04:16 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut the wire mentioned in this thread

It'll come off the line faster and shift firmer. That leads to longer trans life too, at the expense of being able to feel gear shifts. I don't mind it at all, and you can always wire a relay to a switch (or the power/normal switch) if you want to have it both ways. It takes away the totally smooth Lexus shifting and lets the trans shift like it does in the Supra.
Old 04-22-12, 02:06 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Cut the wire mentioned in this thread

It'll come off the line faster and shift firmer. That leads to longer trans life too, at the expense of being able to feel gear shifts. I don't mind it at all, and you can always wire a relay to a switch (or the power/normal switch) if you want to have it both ways. It takes away the totally smooth Lexus shifting and lets the trans shift like it does in the Supra.
I already had that wire disconnected, I even had the accumulators shimmed, and I had tightened up the slack on the kickdown cable. She still beat me with little problem......and STOCK mind you. All doing those two mods accomplished was blowing out my forward clutch and causing a tranny rebuild. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-22-12, 02:49 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
I already had that wire disconnected, I even had the accumulators shimmed, and I had tightened up the slack on the kickdown cable. She still beat me with little problem......and STOCK mind you. All doing those two mods accomplished was blowing out my forward clutch and causing a tranny rebuild. Caveat emptor.
Sounds like you simply need more power. Even a high stall converter will only help at launch. There is only so much gearing or drivetrain can do.
Old 04-22-12, 04:04 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Sounds like you simply need more power. Even a high stall converter will only help at launch. There is only so much gearing or drivetrain can do.
I doubt that's the entire issue. I have a BFI, upgraded exhaust including an x-pipe and high flow cats. I think it was more the transmission than anything else. The reason I keep losing to her is because of the massive bounce after the car shifts from 1st to 2nd. It lags behind and it doesn't leave a lot of room to catch up.

My thought now is that the forward clutch was bad since I got the car and that may be the reason I lose to her. I only bought this car a few months ago, so it's entirely possible the tranny has been bad the entire time and I just didn't know what it was supposed to feel like. A bad forward clutch does cause a huge loss of power. Just because the tranny shop said the cut wire and the shims caused the forward clutch issue doesn't make it so, I suppose. It could have been bad for a long time and I may just have been masking that fact with mods, not understanding the real problem and just assuming that the tranny was supposed to be THAT sluggish.

Either way, the TC should help a great deal. I would think even a stock SC400 should beat a GS300.

Quick Reply: Lextreme Torque Converter and WHP