Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 04:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I am going forward with it 1000%. I also have an custom boot on my 5spd shifter trim, its not hard to put a boot on just takes some patience as you know, and you can probably glue the plastic ring from the 5 speed underneath to make it super easy.

yeah that is on ebay for like $60 I think, there are 2 of them on there. I will hold out for one with the heated seats seeing as I don't need it right away. you may want to scoop one of those up probably hard to find without the gated shifter. I might just take the older type with heated seats and cut out my own opening if I can't find one, then you can make it even wider left and right I bet.

yeah the left to right with the short shifter would easily fit in that area, probably like 2/3 of that opening even.
I could see it being tight with a normal shifter though but that wont be the case here, I think at the top of this shifter from 2nd to reverse is only like 2-3" apart.
I will try and measure later to be sure.

so 240sx shifter bracket and modify the link gets it to 32" (cost of 240sx short shifter w/plate $40)
make a hybrid 240/v160 shifter that goes straight up and down (cost of v160 shifter ~$60, welding maybe another $40)
custom shifter bezel (30-60 depending on what you use a older or the gated plus little costs).

That should have it in the new perfect spot, crisp short shifting, straight shifter, reverse lockout, toyota *****.
I think I pretty much nailed it, I don't think the 2" will be felt in the car its not like its the 34.5" cupholder spot.

going to be a busy weekend so not sure I will have time to work on the shifter, but will keep you posted.
Old 05-29-15, 05:10 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone who which sensors are which on the transmission? I know one should be for reverse but don't know which.
Old 05-29-15, 06:53 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I used to, but forgot. The only one I was even interested in was the one that would turn on the reverse lights, but I just said fuggit. So I currently don't have reverse lights when backing up, and honestly don't really care. I have none of those sensors hooked up electrically to the car.

Ali, I'm going to buy that one without the gates! Probably be awhile before I actually use it, but like you said, might as well get it while it's available, probably use it in the future.

** EDIT - bought it **

Last edited by Halon; 05-29-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 08:05 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Very nice find Ali! Anxious to see it all welded up!
Old 05-29-15, 09:44 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the plug on the left is for reverse, the one on the right is for neutral position and that one hits the tunnel so u gotta break it off.

i intend to hook the reverse up if i find someone parting a 350z and can bum the pigtail off for the plug..

ali ill try to measure but it is pretty subjective how short you want the shifter to be. might be best left to figure out when you put the thing in the car
Old 05-30-15, 09:17 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Well I feel like an *******. We buggered up the splines a tiny bit trying to get the trans in. My tuner Pulled trans, lightly filed the spline grooves on the clutch disc, cleaned it up and slid right on right after they tilted the motor back. So it actually wasn't that bad with the motor in the car as long as you have access to a lift.

If running a 2jz the area right behind the head back to the area above the trans mount holes is where we bashed the tunnel in.

Last edited by 95SC3T; 06-01-15 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-31-15, 06:02 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Post some pics of where you bashed if you don't mind. Glad it wasn't too bad for you, that's awesome!
Old 05-31-15, 07:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Halon
I used to, but forgot. The only one I was even interested in was the one that would turn on the reverse lights, but I just said fuggit. So I currently don't have reverse lights when backing up, and honestly don't really care. I have none of those sensors hooked up electrically to the car.

Ali, I'm going to buy that one without the gates! Probably be awhile before I actually use it, but like you said, might as well get it while it's available, probably use it in the future.

** EDIT - bought it **
the reverse is to the left of the inspection cover when looking from behind the transmission.

I went ahead and bought the other one, going to do a trade with SCereal for the gated trims

ts looking like it should work well, I just went and measured and between 2nd and R at the top of the shifter is about 2" wide the shift pattern, so it should fit in the gated surround.

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Very nice find Ali! Anxious to see it all welded up!
Thanks, Its been a work in progress, looks like it will work with the shifter straight up and down and can remove the forward bend now.

Originally Posted by estomax
ali ill try to measure but it is pretty subjective how short you want the shifter to be. might be best left to figure out when you put the thing in the car
I just want it to be above the height of the shifter trim. if its below that would be pretty odd.
I think after seeing the v160 shifter I will just make it that same length, its also the same height as the 240sx shifter so I am thinking just do the same height and hope for the best. looking like 9.5-10 above the black inspection cover the threaded part of the shifter ends.

subscribed for pics of tunnel bashing.
Old 06-01-15, 03:47 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

I will try to get pics this week. Please don't hold it against me if it takes me a little bit. lol I spent 11 hrs on it yesterday putting everything back in! However that included stopping for dinner and helping my tuner work on a few other cars while I waited for his help on mine. FYI if you have a 4" dp its gonna be a close fit. will get pics of that too.
Old 06-01-15, 06:03 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95SC3T
I will try to get pics this week. Please don't hold it against me if it takes me a little bit. lol I spent 11 hrs on it yesterday putting everything back in! However that included stopping for dinner and helping my tuner work on a few other cars while I waited for his help on mine. FYI if you have a 4" dp its gonna be a close fit. will get pics of that too.
Long time observer here, but wanted to chime in and congratulate you on getting past that "hump". Your earlier posts seriously reminded me of some of my past frustrations and final triumphs.

I have to say this thread is awesome, I really love watching it progress.

On another note as Ali said earlier I really wish the bmw getrags had more support on this side of the water, that shifter assembly is awesome and even the six speeds are extremely compact and can hold a lot of power.
Old 06-01-15, 11:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the shifter on the bmw is more ideal for modifying, and the output for the drive shaft is a bolt on style both of which I do like but the lack of even semi-reasonable adapter pieces, the higher cost of the transmission, and also hearing that often they need to be rebuilt for synchros after a lot of use or depending on previous owner makes me feel iffy about going that route. easier installation due to smaller size does seem nice though.

now that the shifter is working out on the 350z swap, the only one I think is better on the bmw is the bolt on driveshaft vs the slip in kind with the o-ring, but I haven't heard reports of the 350z one having a leaking issue like the w58 or r154 at higher power levels, so I am pretty happy just going forward with the 350z trans over here.
Old 06-01-15, 12:05 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has no leaking issues. If I recall correctly, my driveshaft if I slide it into the tranny until it dead ends, it backs out maybe 3/4" after bolting the other end to the diff. Never noticed any issue with fluid leaking.
Old 06-01-15, 01:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah its more the r154 when pushed hard can leak out the tail shaft. it doesn't happen to everyone but it happens to some that I have read about but might be just the design of the r154 and venting, so the 350z might not even have that issue. I doubt the shop would push it to over 1000hp on the dyno if there was any indication or chance it would leak, but its definitely an issue that makes me shy away from the r154.
Old 06-01-15, 09:59 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

the bolts collins told me to buy for the bellhousing to adapter plate only seem like they are going to be able to thread about half an inch if that into the adapter plate

is that really enough?
Old 06-02-15, 06:45 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

What size bolts? I mean...1/2" depth on a M3 is different than a M14..pitch of the bolt could change things too..

Rule of thumb that I was told was to have 1-1.5 times the bolt diameter of thread engagement for steel, a bit more for Aluminum..so say a M10 would need ~15mm depth of hole/threads in steel.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?