Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 06:37 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Drove it to work this morning. Verified speedo is accurate at 70mph. Looks like I'm good to go as far as speedo goes. And I suppose that makes my swap 100% complete at this point. Now to get it on the dyno and make some numbers.
Old 06-23-14, 01:12 PM
ATLspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the xterra/pathfinder tail housing swap is a no-go. Apperantly someone already tried it on a forum I'm on (Zilvia.net) and things didn't line up how you would think.. Not sure of the details yet but I'm asking to find out to relay it to everyone else. ( ._.)
Old 06-24-14, 09:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thats not good news, well I guess I may have to throw a whole Xterra trans in there if I try it and see what happens with that first gear. the xterra trans has to be as strong as the 350 right they are basically the same thing I think.
Old 06-24-14, 09:36 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Drove it to work this morning. Verified speedo is accurate at 70mph. Looks like I'm good to go as far as speedo goes. And I suppose that makes my swap 100% complete at this point. Now to get it on the dyno and make some numbers.

when you get on the throttle how laggy is the speedo?

also with your short shifter how were you able to maintain reverse lockout? tried putting mine in and spring has zero function because the shifter is so far push down because of how long it is since the shifter rod was shortened so much
Old 06-24-14, 10:35 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

If I were to take a guess, I'd say maybe a half second delay. It's noticable if you're closely watching it and rapidly varying speed, but it's not bad at all. Under normal driving conditions, I don't even notice it. Again it's a gauge I don't even watch that often, I just like it there so I know how fast I'm cruising down the highway so I don't get pulled over.

Shifter, I don't have a short shifter, it's the stock shifter that I cut and welded a big angle on. The reverse lockout is part of that cap that holds the base of the shifter in place. I can take a picture tonight and post it and that might help. Pics worth a thousand words right
Old 06-24-14, 11:03 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That speedo sounds good enough! I think I'll go this route instead of all new gauges

I know what you're talking about, my oem shifter works fine. I just had my short shifter modded so it sits in the proper place so I can use my shift boot but I ran into the problem I am having now. Guess its just going to have to be this way.
Old 06-24-14, 12:20 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Cool, yeah I think it's a good solution for the Speedo. I'll take some pics of the shifter tonight if I have time.
Old 06-30-14, 11:08 AM
ATLspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ATLspeed
Well the xterra/pathfinder tail housing swap is a no-go. Apperantly someone already tried it on a forum I'm on (Zilvia.net) and things didn't line up how you would think.. Not sure of the details yet but I'm asking to find out to relay it to everyone else. ( ._.)
Originally Posted by Guy From Another Forum
"sorry I couldn't get back with you, Brett at Collins Performance Technologies bought a rear housing and it does not fit, the the shifter linkage does not work with the 350z/g35 because of the way it turns with the shifter linkage vs the traditional shifter style the xterra runs. it ran him 600 bucks to try this out so hes been trying to help and keep people from wasting their money on this."

And there we have it.
Old 06-30-14, 12:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Great info, but obviouslly too bad it doesn't work. So wondering if there's still the idea of replacing that black cover with some sort of billet shifter mechanism.
Old 07-03-14, 07:41 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbomati your solution is the most reasonable so far. may have to look into going that route. I finally got my car running with an exhaust so I can hear something other than the engine. Also did the baptizing drive to work and made it. The 3.9 rear end with 6 spd makes for fast and furious like shifting, getting up to 40 mph and i'm in 6th, that is a lot of shifting lol. can't wait to get the 3.26 rear end on. although I still do about 2600rpm at 60 mph.

the GPS speedo came as well, that is going in next. finally can officially be in the club

cheers
Marko

PS I sent this to Collins but heard nothing back, here is my contribution that we can make better, a non-30 page forum thread for how this swap goes. I don't have the shifter modification stuff in there, I may modify and add stuff as I feel like it.
http://imgur.com/6YORMBA
Old 07-26-14, 10:05 AM
1uzme
Driver School Candidate

Was thinking about selling my 1uz to 350z kit. Basically everything you need to mate the uz to the 350z trans. Might even throw in a 350z trans for cheap.
Old 09-28-14, 02:34 PM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

im trying to fit this tranny into my supra

i measure my w58 from the base of the bellhousing to the center of the shifter and its around 30 inches.

It seems the shortest this tranny can get to is 34 inches can anyone confirm? if thats the case then theres no way the shifter will work in my mkiv supra lol
Old 09-28-14, 03:15 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subeone i am working on getting it down to 30 inches. im fabbing my own shifter bracket. see below.
350Z trans adapter?-po15dmy.jpg
350Z trans adapter?-kay16yr.jpg

this will also put the shifter in a good place in my sc300 and get rid of the annoyingly S bracketed shifter that i made up before. this does raise the shifter up about an inch though, so i am going to have to cut down the top of the shifter by that much and then reweld the threaded portion back on.

Marko
Old 10-09-14, 03:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

take a look at the xterra 2wd 6speed trans. shifter looks about the right place, maybe a bit forward though.
I wish I could find one to measure though.
Attached Thumbnails 350Z trans adapter?-xterra6spd.jpg  
Old 10-09-14, 09:06 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Mines still holding up just fine. As I mentioned earlier, I've now gotten quite used to the shifter and don't mind it at all anymore.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?