Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 06:14 AM
blackkarma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been talking to the guys over at SWAP1UZ.COM about there 1jz/2jz to 350z trans kit. The kit will come with the bell housing adapter plate, the flywheel adaptor which will allow you to attach the 350z flywheel to the stock flex plate and 2 sets of arp bolts for flywheel and flex plate and 1 set of bolts for the bell housing adapter plate. he kits will sell for $815 but if there is a good amount of interest (no number has been set yet) they will conduct a group buy at the rate of $715. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-04-12, 01:54 PM
S13MANIACS
Driver School Candidate

Let me know if the deal goes through as I want in
Old 07-05-12, 06:53 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread just made me buy a cd009! i pick it up on the 14th im going for it!

trying to set my spending limit to about $2500 realistically with all new parts. won't put a 3.26 rear in for quite awhile

adapter, $330
tranny, $550
shorten shifter w/ short shifter $325
clutch, $450-500-ish going with a sprung 6 puck just because i want to.
flywheel. unknown as of now but hope no more than $400
pedal and master cylinder, $500
lines, $50
driveshaft, no price hoping for around $200 + yoke

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-05-12 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 10:40 AM
zr71
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
this thread just made me buy a cd009! i pick it up on the 14th im going for it!

trying to set my spending limit to about $2500 realistically with all new parts. won't put a 3.26 rear in for quite awhile

adapter, $330
tranny, $550
shorten shifter w/ short shifter $325
clutch, $450-500-ish going with a sprung 6 puck just because i want to.
flywheel. unknown as of now but hope no more than $400
pedal and master cylinder, $500
lines, $50
driveshaft, no price hoping for around $200 + yoke
Just registered on here to contribute to this thread. I'm building a big single turbo 350z (built motor, 7175 turbo, etc) and I'm doing an auto to manual swap. Found this thread when researching cd009 to 2jz (both for a buddy of mine who's got a supra and in case my engine pops I want to go 2j).

Drive-shaft will obviously have to be custom, I'd expect a quote higher than 200. I bought a clutch pedal, slave and master for about 75$ shipped.
I'd recommend buying the RJM clutch bracket, it's a really popular mod now a days with the heavy clutches (uses clever physics to make the engagement window longer and softer, with much much more adjust-ability than stock). It's pretty cheap and not going to make your life any harder on install, just easier down the line.

Keep this thread going, I'd like to see how the cd009 mates up to the 2j.

PS:
I picked up a cd009 with 6k miles on it for about 950 before shipping. IMHO if you plan on making power down the road its worth the extra $ to get a cd009, although the older trans has been proven to hold 1200whp (as stated earlier sp broke an input shaft on 5k clutch dump @ the strip). The older trans and the newer trans have identical gears, the main difference is in the syncros.

Last edited by zr71; 07-06-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 06:51 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

anyone know about the HR CD009 6 speed? IT has a internal slave cylinder and different bellhousing bolt pattern. wondering if that would effect using it during the swap. if it would.... i have to find another transmission for my swap... preferably a DE cd009.

something to look out for if anyone else is considering this
Old 07-07-12, 09:47 AM
zr71
Driver School Candidate

anyone know about the HR CD009 6 speed? IT has a internal slave cylinder and different bellhousing bolt pattern. wondering if that would effect using it during the swap. if it would.... i have to find another transmission for my swap... preferably a DE cd009.

something to look out for if anyone else is considering this
There are a few differences besides the bellhousing, I think one includes the clutch you use too.

Don't try to use the hr tranny it wont work with the setup listed in this thread. I'm sure you could get it to work, but you'd have to figure out the differences all over again.
Old 07-08-12, 10:56 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

well got my hopes up. the HR will be to much hassle for me personally. im sure it can be done but i don't feel like its worth trying to do.

im throwing away the 6 speed idea and just going with a w58 like i always wanted to anyway.

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-08-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-12, 11:52 PM
zr71
Driver School Candidate

well got my hopes up. the HR will be to much hassle for me personally. im sure it can be done but i don't feel like its worth trying to do.

im throwing away the 6 speed idea and just going with a w58 like i always wanted to anyway.
I wouldn't frown upon using the older tranny. On the 350z sites I frequent they're practically giving them away... i've seen decent mileage tranny's go for like 300 shipped, 350...
Old 07-09-12, 04:13 PM
HotcakesIS
Driver School Candidate

gl its still going to snap under anything more than 10psi
Old 07-09-12, 04:17 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HotcakesIS
gl its still going to snap under anything more than 10psi
... and if it doesn't, then it DEFINITELY will when you shift under WOT.
Old 07-09-12, 04:35 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ240
That is completely false!! I have both a regular CD005, and an HR transmission in the shop now, which was what the flywheel spacer was modeled off of.

there is an interesting link that someone posted on another forum that showed how to get a DE pressure plate to work on the centralized throwout bearing found on the HR transmission. basically I did it my self by pressing out the old flat faced bearing and replacing it with a more conical faced bearing, so you can basically use any type of 350Z pressure plate made for the DE transmission.

I highly recommend doing that bearing modification if you have the CD009 that is a NON-DE transmission.

IF anyone else has any questions, just post here, and I will answer them!
any reason someone couldn't just drill out the appropriate holes on a flywheel to fit a HR pressure plate bolt style and use the whole slave/tob setup? thats about the only thing i could come up with if i were to convince myself to look into this again. thats really the only difference now since you say your adapters fit the HR and so does the spacer.... or am i completely over looking something.

i tried emailing z1 motorsports in GA and they have zero interest in answering any of my question since i won't be spending money in their favor. they just tell me the transmissions are different and thats it, no matter how much i type. sad to see.

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-09-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 05:50 PM
HotcakesIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCott300
What needs to be done to install the 350Z rear? I am assuming that it wont bolt just bolt up in the factory SC3 location, or does it?

What is the 98-00 rear gear ratio?
I believe one of the holes mount right up to the chassis and your going to have to drill another hole for the 2nd one to the chassis......to better explain heres a pic LOL

Attachment 430926

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-18-24 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 09:10 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

What do you have to do to get the speed sensor to work with the ka transmission on a sc400?
Old 07-11-12, 12:15 AM
96blksc300
Driver

Just found this thread and wow. Subscribed! Love seeing innovation like this. Something more cost effective than the pricey v160 that can still hold better power than the w58 or r154. Especially since the number of this trannys is only going to decline as time progresses. This may actually push me to doing a manual instead of the built auto I'm running now
Old 07-12-12, 08:15 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ240
That is completely false!! I have both a regular CD005, and an HR transmission in the shop now, which was what the flywheel spacer was modeled off of.

there is an interesting link that someone posted on another forum that showed how to get a DE pressure plate to work on the centralized throwout bearing found on the HR transmission. basically I did it my self by pressing out the old flat faced bearing and replacing it with a more conical faced bearing, so you can basically use any type of 350Z pressure plate made for the DE transmission.

I highly recommend doing that bearing modification if you have the CD009 that is a NON-DE transmission.

IF anyone else has any questions, just post here, and I will answer them!
where can someone find such a conical bearing?

Last edited by iridebmx; 07-14-12 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?