Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 09:22 AM
blackkarma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any new swap news
Old 09-16-12, 12:23 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've since thrown the idea away for one reason. no speed sensor unless i went standalone and used an aftermarket driveshaft vss(AEM unit) which would cost another $1500+ ... to me its not worth all those costs right now
Old 09-20-12, 05:44 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been looking into this swap pretty seriously lately, and am extremely interested. To me the main benefit is that once the swap is done, replacement transmissions are now a fraction of the cost. And since I like to visit the track a bit, I highly foresee myself having to replace it at some point. So paying a little up front to ensure future expenses are minimized is a great investment to me.

However, what concerns me is the flywheel/clutch setup. I like to have choices, so my concern is being locked into only the specific flywheel/clutch setups 1uzswap offers, and that's it. And them being able to charge whatever they want for them. I'd much prefer to have several choices, and be able to buy them from whomever I want. I was ready to purchase this, but the clutch situation has me rethinking. Again I'd be doing this swap to minimized future expenses (meaning cheaper replacement trans cost). But if replacement clutches are going to cost an arm and a leg, well then that defeats the whole purpose.

So I'm at a crossroads on this swap at the moment now...
Old 09-20-12, 09:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the clutch is usually more transmission specific. I would guess you can use one from the Z itself I can't see why it wouldn't fit. you can probably use clutches from other nissans also if the splines are the same.
Old 09-21-12, 04:59 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
I've been looking into this swap pretty seriously lately, and am extremely interested. To me the main benefit is that once the swap is done, replacement transmissions are now a fraction of the cost. And since I like to visit the track a bit, I highly foresee myself having to replace it at some point. So paying a little up front to ensure future expenses are minimized is a great investment to me.

However, what concerns me is the flywheel/clutch setup. I like to have choices, so my concern is being locked into only the specific flywheel/clutch setups 1uzswap offers, and that's it. And them being able to charge whatever they want for them. I'd much prefer to have several choices, and be able to buy them from whomever I want. I was ready to purchase this, but the clutch situation has me rethinking. Again I'd be doing this swap to minimized future expenses (meaning cheaper replacement trans cost). But if replacement clutches are going to cost an arm and a leg, well then that defeats the whole purpose.

So I'm at a crossroads on this swap at the moment now...
^^^^ , This is why i decided to go ahead on the V160, first of all it's too many mismatch parts from various application and if i am making 800-900whp last thing i wanna deal with is clutch related issues.If something is not working properly it's really hard to diagnose because it's all mismatch parts.

If the G35 or 350Z clutches will work on this setup i would jump on that train a longtime ago!
Old 09-21-12, 09:25 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the clutch is usually more transmission specific. I would guess you can use one from the Z itself I can't see why it wouldn't fit. you can probably use clutches from other nissans also if the splines are the same.
Word I received is that the clutch and flywheel are custom built for this application, none of it is off the shelf.
Old 09-21-12, 04:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

on the first page the is a post of a member using a 350z clutch.

the clutch fits on the input spline, as long as the flywheel is larger diameter than the clutch, I can't see why it wouldn't work. in almost every trans swap across manufacturers, you always usually find people using the clutch meant for the trans and a custom flywheel. how can a 350z clutch not fit on a 350z trans?

I understand them telling you their setup is custom, theirs is definfately custom built..
That doesnt mean you cant piece together a combo that works, people do this all the time, unless im missing a whole part of the discussion here.
Old 09-21-12, 06:05 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running an off the shelf mr2/toyota scion/4runner pressure plate and a sr20 clutch disc with the 350z trans on my sc400. I assume it would be easier on a 2jz since there are a few flywheel options already out there.

Check out my thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...from-350z.html
Old 09-21-12, 07:04 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, will go through your thread. I would love to use off the shelf stuff, but I personally don't feel I have the expertise in that area to know how to piece it together. I don't like asking for help, but this is one area that I honestly would need help.

SV4double0, if you're willing to help a trans swap newb out, I'd love some help figuring this out. I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 09-21-12, 07:31 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ok so this is my last questions!

what clutch kit and flywheel do you need for JZ engines?

I am sure the 350Z flywheel will not work, someone correct me if i am wrong..If it does i will order this tyrans on monday .
I am just looking at the clutch options if you decide to go twin , triple disc later down the road.
Old 09-21-12, 07:35 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club. The flywheel / clutch options are the only thing holding me back. 1uzswap claims it's a custom flywheel / clutch setup only he can order. The price of the swap kit doubled as I wanted a clutch that could hold a little bit of power.
Old 09-21-12, 09:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The only thing you need to bolt this on to the 2jz which is not available is the adapter plate, which no one is making yet.
Otherwise you would use the same combo as SC4double0 like the SR20 clutch w/ MR2 PP, except you would use just use a 2jz flywheel.
He had to modify a flywheel cause there is no readily available one for the 1UZ, but we have plenty for the 2jz.

Maybe if we show there is interest in a 2jz adapter they would make one, it shouldn't be very hard 2jz pattern is available to them most likely.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-21-12 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-22-12, 04:43 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

The adapter is on eBay for $400 shipped. So I can just use my stock flywheel, then copy his clutch setup and I'm good to go?
Old 09-22-12, 05:34 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

He has the 2jz/1jz adapter already , i saw that adapter for sale!

It's not that easy , you cant just use your stock flwheel with this setup trust me it's not the same, please don't waste your money yet till you get the concrete info!

Same reason why you can't run W58 flywheel when you go R154 or V160
Old 09-22-12, 05:48 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad because this is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?