Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Evap canister line

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 01:28 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evap canister line

The line between my fuel tank and evap canister is clogged or blocked by something. My tank pressurizes until it's about to explode (vents for over a minute with the filler cap removed) and I thought it was just a defective canister.

When I removed the "tank" line from the canister, nothing happened. I opened the fuel filler cap and it blew off a lot of pressure. I can't blow air from the canister end of the line back into the tank using a shop air compressor so it's got to be blocked somewhere. As far as I know there is no check valve in the line; all that happens within the canister.

Can anyone tell me where this line connects to the fuel tank? Maybe someone who has parted out a car or removed the gas tank for whatever reason? I think the line travels with the fuel supply and return lines but I can't track it all the way to the tank itself.

Is it something that could have been damaged by a previous owner changing the fuel pump? I can see no obvious damage under the car like if someone put a jack in the wrong place.
Old 04-19-12, 04:07 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'm blazing ground here

For anyone who finds this when searching many years from now, the evap hose connects to the fuel tank under the car on the drivers side just above the rear axle. There's a U-shaped metal pipe leaving the fuel tank, than a 90 degree rubber hose that connects it to the main line back to the front of the car.

This hasn't helped me any though. With the connector hose removed, I can't blow air front-to-back or back-to-front so that means the line is clogged somewhere. The metal line leaving the tank looks like it's clogged with rust too, so even if I ran a new hose from the canister to the tank it would do no good.

I really don't want to replace the whole tank!