Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Replace Fuel Filter and New Flange Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 07:49 AM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks, got a question on this procedure - do you just straighten the fuel line a little bit to make up for the length lost when cutting off each bolt? How much 'slack' are you really able to get out of the fuel line?

I have a similar problem, but it will involve cutting off more of the fuel line. Whoever worked on my car before me basically mangled the line on both sides of the filter. I guess they tried a little too hard to get the filter off, because the line is twisted a bit on the north side of the filter, and twisted even worse on the south side. All in all, I'm guessing I would have to cut off an additional half inch or possibly even an inch of fuel line on each side in order to remove all of the damaged portions.
Anyway - the bolts don't want to budge now, and with an already delicate/damaged fuel line, I really do not want to force them and make things worse. I would like to just follow the procedure outlined so well above, but my obvious concern is, when I'm done, will there be enough line left to reach the fuel filter.
The other options I've considered are replacing the entire fuel line - which I have no idea how to do, and honestly just seems like too much for me to handle. Or inserting another piece of line to span the distance between the now-shorter fuel line and the filter - which involves an extra fitting and seems a bit sloppy to me, hence why I'm not wild about that solution.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated!
Old 08-19-22, 05:18 PM
780Griffin
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up. I'm having a hell of a time finding the 8mm inverted flare nuts. Might need to drill out some 5/16" ones like you did.