Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Messed up with trans fluid. Full flush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 06:23 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Messed up with trans fluid. Full flush?

I recently drained and filled my transmission after reading many threads talking about how harsh it could be for an old transmission (mine got around 177k miles on it). Well the guy that picked up the fluid got me ford ATF and not the toyota one . No wonder the car have been driving like crap ever since. I am yet to change the filter though. 2 Quarts were added of the wrong fluid.

Well now I have a dilemma, should I fully flush the transmission or continue to drain/fill? What would be the best way of handling this situation? Also what are the chances the tranny goes out on me before I fix?

In the case of the full flush, how many quarts does the 95 sc400 take?

I have a bottle of some additive/treatment for the transmission that prevents slipping yada yada yada. Any experience with those?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-12, 08:59 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright man. I believe the guy that owned my car, did the same thing. Put the wrong fluid in. Jerky shifts and downshifts.

I pulled the pan, changed the filter. Replaced with 4 quarts of Toyota ATF. And boy what a difference.

I would just pull the pan, change the filter and replace the 4 quarts which is around 50% of the total fluid.

MOst poeple say 2 quarts. But mine needed 4 after taking off the filter, when I took the filter off it just poured out.

O btw... trans pan gasket is a major PAIN IN THE BOO~!
Old 04-08-12, 10:04 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very easy fix. Don't use the car of course until you've corrected the mistake. Just do a full flush on it. 12 quarts is enough, you can buy the whole box of 12 quarts for cheap instead of buying per quart. There's about 10 something quarts in there. Then, don't stop the flush procedure until the fluid that comes out is already consistent with the new fluid. Done.
Old 04-08-12, 10:22 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that. I hear the transmission takes like 14-15 quarts and someone else says about 12. I already got a filter and gasket from way back. Glad didnt put it in. I'll try it hopefully next weekend or take it to my guy sometime this week.

As for 2 vs 4 quarts I think 2 quarts without removing filter/pan and 4 when u do. Honestly any pan gasket is a pain. The oil one still leaking looking to replace that next oil change. Cheers
Old 04-08-12, 10:35 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's written in the owners manual. It's only about 10 something something quarts total. So 12 will suffice. I told g4ebguy90 before he did his to be very careful with the gasket touching any oil or else it will fail as soon as he uses his SC. And guys, torque it to the right specs so it wouldn't leak. And I hope you guys know how to properly seal pans, y'all gotta do the "star" motion installing the bolts. And with the Autozone rubber gasket you don't need to use any silicone sealant on it anymore, it's clearly written on the box. If you want to use sealant there's a certain spec or kind of sealant for it also. When I did mine, I bought 2 kinds of OEM sealant, one for the valve cover gasket and another for the tranny oil pan. And when I opened the box of the tranny oil pan filter I saw a rubber gasket already included so I just decided to use it instead of using a messy silicone sealant, which Toyota/Lexus calls FIPG, Form In Place Gasket.
Old 04-09-12, 12:49 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap I didn't think about star pattern . Well, it only leaks on this one strip of 3 bolts. So I will re torque them and then put siicone on the outside. And stop or slow down any leak.

Guys go to remember, I did mine on jack stands, on a gravel driveway. It was not fun. And did as good as job as I could.