Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oh god did I just blow my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 03:50 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh god did I just blow my engine?

Lets lay out all the circumstances that have me kicking myself in the pills. I let my 92 sc300 sit for about 6 months. I went to start it a month or so ago but the battery was dead, getting a new one turned into another month, blah, blah a lot of neglect. So, I finally decide its time to tinker with it again because I've slowly rebuilt the interior. I took the... head in the ***... approach and didn't change the oil or check ANYTHING. The first time I turned the key it cranked right up, just like it did under daily use. I let her idle for a while and everything sounded peachy. Today I went to pull it into my garage. This time when I started it, it died almost immediately. WTF. Started again and wouldn't idle for s***. After nursing the gas for around 5 minutes the idle would stay high enough not to stall(around 500) I started moving and heard the power steering pump start screaming so i went to find some fluid. When I got back it had stalled again.
This time when I tried to start it I heard a....horrible.....just horrible sound. The engine starts to crank(which has me confused) Sounds just like nothings wrong but right at the moment ignition would normally take over for the starter there's an awful metal on metal grinding that rocks the car and stops the pistons immediately. Oil level is fine, coolant was very low.

.................is she dead?
Old 04-06-12, 04:03 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sounds horrible. Usually the fate is sealed when you a knock. That is really only what kills a short block. As for the metal sound maybe the starter is stuck out???? idk... that is really weird.

Just re check everything fill everything up. Make sure it has gas or fresh gas. Change the oil at least. Then go from there. If the horrible metal sound is still there, pull the pan and check for rod movement with your hand.
Old 04-06-12, 04:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

To check to see if the engine is seized, get a breaker bar and turn the crankshaft and see if it rotates. To check to see if you got a mechanical problem, a simple vacuum gauge can save you time. Hook up to intake manifold vacuum and vacuum should read 18 - 21" Hg with the needle Steady. That confirms engine is fine with no mechanical problems. If it's bouncing around, you got a mechanical problem.
Old 04-06-12, 04:52 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

YEAH BUDDY!!! Welcome to the "I blew up a stock 2jz" club
Old 04-06-12, 06:23 PM
tre2k
Driver School Candidate

just a shot in the dark, but a bad spark plug made a mechanic tell me i had rod knock one time when i didn't.
Old 04-06-12, 08:19 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

What kinda mechanic was that...bad spark plugs sound nothing like rod knock...I found out first hand sunday
Old 04-07-12, 07:23 AM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's advice. The shock has started to wear off so I'm going at it today. I'm starting with a tune up if the breaker bar shows it isn't seized. I'll post what I find. Before this happened I planed on reinstalling my reupholstered leather seats and the $400 rear package tray cover that I just received Thursday. FML!!!!
Old 04-07-12, 10:45 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be alright. NA 2jz's are plentiful.

I sold a whole running sc300 *like a idiot I am sorry* for $300.00 with no title.
Old 04-07-12, 12:40 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
It will be alright. NA 2jz's are plentiful.

I sold a whole running sc300 *like a idiot I am sorry* for $300.00 with no title.
DId it hAVE tan interior???
Old 04-07-12, 01:09 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

The engine isn't seized and there is still compression in all cylinders(around 200psi). I might have some seriously bad leak though because the oil that came out looked and felt more like coffee than oil and smelled like gas. I'm turning my attention to the starter now......but I've never changed a starter so I'm not sure how this will pan out.
Old 04-07-12, 02:38 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Does it burn a lot of oil? Also test for leaky injectors
Old 04-07-12, 03:12 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Loud F words everywhere!!!! Starter's fine. It plopped right out when the second bolt (a real mother f'er to get out) came out. It plunges in and out fine and dandy. I guess I'm gonna put everything back together and see if it happens again.
Old 04-07-12, 03:13 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

normally it burns no oil at all. But when the idle gets all freaky it starts smoking a lot.
Old 04-07-12, 03:32 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like leaky injector(s) or maybe fuel pressure regulator...now keep in mind my sc300 is my first toyota and that diagnosis is what ive seen on f-bodys and mustangs...
Old 04-07-12, 09:43 PM
BigSticks
Lead Lap

maybe what killed 2 of my na's within 100 miles of each other, bad ecu cause injectors to stick and stay awake at random times, pull the lid off the ecu see if anything is touching or any caps leaking...

Quick Reply: Oh god did I just blow my engine?