Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel system part identification help

Old 04-05-12, 12:25 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel system part identification help

I summon forth the gods of CL to aide me in my dilemma!

I am upgrading my fuel system and put a Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH in tank. I was wiring up the pump when I noticed that the OEM pump has a small pigtail coming off the (+) lead that connects to this thingy. What is it? Do I need it? What happens if I get rid of it?

I'm tentatively wiring it up like it came but I'm just questioning what it does.

Picture:

And while I have your attention, for people that run a new line through the rear hat and used bulkhead fittings, did you weld them or just put an O-ring on and bolt it down? I'm doing the O-ring approach for now but I'm unsure if it will work.
Old 04-06-12, 12:19 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don think you need it. I drilled it out and just used 12v power and a ground and its done!

Here is how i did my fuel pump hanger setup, check it out! might help you with yours
Old 04-06-12, 07:56 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
I don think you need it. I drilled it out and just used 12v power and a ground and its done!

Here is how i did my fuel pump hanger setup, check it out! might help you with yours
You sir, are awesome!
I ended up finishing it up yesterday anyway. I did retain that little black electronic gizmo and it works fine with it. That setup you made is SLICK. After seeing that, I really should have made the hanger 1 piece with the hat.

I just used the stock assembly as much as possible and ran the feed line up out out the rear access hat. Looks like O-rings seal fine. I used fuel tank putty to "clog" up the factory feed line because I didn't want to remove the gas tank in order to properly eliminate the factory lines. Wired it up directly to battery via 10gauge (the battery is in the trunk anyway) and used a relay with the factory white and blue wires as trigger.
Old 04-08-12, 12:00 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks it worked out great. I'm making a new one with a better electrical system that's simply uses a plug the is sandwiched between the inside and out of the tank. When that is done I'll post up pics at some point.

For the fuel tank you can simply use a oil pan drian plug to plug up the bottum of the tanks. You will need 3 M8x1.5 drain plugs. you can do all of this with out taking the tank out by getting underneath the car and taking off the stock fuel lines than put in the drian plug. Put some rtv on it and tighten it up real good and your done. Should only take about 30 to 45min. I don't like the idea of extra lines hanging around that are not being used, special for fuel.

Last edited by 8052JZ; 04-08-12 at 01:33 PM.