Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

high performance crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 10:12 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high performance crate motor

So i'm settled on buying an engine with lower miles for my sc400 and im looking at two options. I either buy the lower mileage engine and buy the higher performance parts and install them myself or just buy one already built with all the performance parts already in it . suggestions? and if i buy all the parts and install myself, what are a list of things i need? thanks (sorry for not looking for the right thread blah blah)
Old 04-02-12, 12:07 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..did you completely forget about the other more obvious options for a swap? Or do you just not know?
Old 04-02-12, 12:08 AM
DJVe
Driver

i think people have put the ls motor in the sc. not sure how big they can go, but someone i think has a 6.0 liter and calls their car a sc600.
Old 04-02-12, 01:36 AM
DJ XO
Pole Position

Grand National motor would be pretty interesting too. Just as amazing as the 2j family.

To the original post, if you're satisfied with staying V8, I would consider doing a hi performance rebuild of your original, high mileage motor. Maybe even doing a "core swap" if that's easier for you. Keep us posted. Good luck either way.
Old 04-02-12, 01:53 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

4.6l built motor from letreme...hey if you can afford it the 4.6l tt built motor from ttc. However if you have to ask what to buy i would say stay away from a built motor. your not going to know what to do when something goes wrong!
Old 04-02-12, 07:59 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

There is nothing "high performance" for you to bolt onto a 1UZ unless you want to go internal and get cams and the other items they require. Then you'll need a standalone ECU to get the most out of it.

Unless your car has over 500k miles, the odds are very good that the "lower mile" engine you swap into it will perform exactly the same. There are soooo many parts of these cars that wear out before the engine ever will.
Old 04-02-12, 09:35 AM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
..did you completely forget about the other more obvious options for a swap? Or do you just not know?
what are the other obvious options then? yes i dont know because i'm new to all of this so i dont know as much as others im just trying to learn
Old 04-02-12, 09:37 AM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MooJohn
There is nothing "high performance" for you to bolt onto a 1UZ unless you want to go internal and get cams and the other items they require. Then you'll need a standalone ECU to get the most out of it.

Unless your car has over 500k miles, the odds are very good that the "lower mile" engine you swap into it will perform exactly the same. There are soooo many parts of these cars that wear out before the engine ever will.
yeah thats what i meant, all the internal things but im at 260k right now so im going to try to push it to 300k and when the engine finally gives out ill swap
Old 04-03-12, 12:25 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you run without oil, it probably still won't give out at 300K, except maybe the timing belt.
Old 04-03-12, 11:11 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

LOL, grand national motor. That old 3.8L junk. Them cars as far as i'm concerned are not impressive. 3.8 turbo making around 300hp intercooled. I am pretty sure when all is said and done you could turbo a 1uz or supercharge it NON-intercooled and making 300+ hp of 4-5psi.

I am just not a fan of the 3.8L ugly disgusting engine.
Old 04-04-12, 12:32 AM
DJVe
Driver

why would you need forced induction to make 300 on a 1uz? mine is sitting around 300hp
Old 04-04-12, 09:01 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
LOL, grand national motor. That old 3.8L junk. Them cars as far as i'm concerned are not impressive. 3.8 turbo making around 300hp intercooled. I am pretty sure when all is said and done you could turbo a 1uz or supercharge it NON-intercooled and making 300+ hp of 4-5psi.

I am just not a fan of the 3.8L ugly disgusting engine.
That's not really fair, you're talking old technology here. A 1987 Buick GNX was a 13 second car, which actually WAS impressive for the 80's. The Vancouver area in the '90's had quite a few Grand Nationals running mods to pass 600 hp., and my parking lot at work alone had two 11 second Buicks.

That being said, I'd not go the hassle of mixing brands like that.

-=Photon=-
Old 04-04-12, 09:37 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

The reason I don't like the Buick 3.8 is because they have been using that motor for like 40 years lol. Time to retire. Which they finally did I believe. But man. Thing was noisy, ugly as heck, old school tech, leaked coolant in the intake all the time. But honestly when you think about it.

The GNX was supposed to be like the holy grail of the 3.8L, they did tons of work and put different NICE internals in. So out of 3.8L boosted they made 300hp. By very early 1990 we were doing that and more with stock parts on 3000GT's stealths, EVO's.... out of 2.0 and 3.0L.... :P. I am not impressed. The internals on DSM's are pretty basic. Nothing fancy. Yet it took them 25 or so years on the 3.8L to make it close to 300hp... teaming up with MClaren for god sakes.

Sorry guys not trying to troll but I hate that motor. Probaly because everyone I know that drives a Grandprix or grand am, is into themselves and think there car is golden.

Theres also alot of 11 second DSM's out there to with half the displacement. You boost anything over 3.0L your going to have some power for sure. I will admit. I would drive a GNX but I would not seek it out.

Last edited by g4ebguy90; 04-04-12 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 08:16 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Tech of the early 90s had made huge advances over that of the 80s. That was the era when a turbo 4 cyl or 5.0 v8 made 150 horsepower. Muscle cars then made less horsepower than today's average Hyundai sedan. Nothing made close to the GN's power when it was introduced and definitely nothing approached its level of mod-ability. The first guy who upped the boost on a GN probably crapped his pants.

The flow of DOHC heads and the newer ECU's ability to work with a knock sensor really pumped up the power levels of the 90s cars. The GN was the Supra of its day and it deserved the position.
Old 04-05-12, 08:11 PM
V8KLLA
Driver

Originally Posted by DJVe
why would you need forced induction to make 300 on a 1uz? mine is sitting around 300hp
Care to expand on this?

Quick Reply: high performance crate motor