Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 SC300 vvt-i to 1jzgte question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 09:28 AM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SC300 vvt-i to 1jzgte question

I was wondering if you knew of any reason you can't swap a 1jzgte into a 1998 sc300 with the vvt-i? Anything that would make it more difficult or if I need a 1jzgte vvt-i to do the swap? IS the wiring the same? My other question is, I live far from anyone that can tune my car, is a 1jzgte swap better than trying to tune my own NA-T? Thanks For your help.
Old 04-01-12, 09:45 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i remember looking into a VVT-i 1JZ a while back and it turned out it would cost much more than a normal 1JZ. They cost more and i've had trouble sourcing a VVT-i soarer motor set. Wiring is the big question too, im sure the harness plugs into the SC body, but after going through starting problems with my engine, i wouldn't be surprised if a few wiring pins are switched. Lastly, and this was the biggest setback, finding OEM and aftermarket parts for the VVT-i engine. Gaskets kits, turbo upgrades, etc. are hard to find on this side of the world. That was my biggest fear so i went with a non VVT-i setup on mine.
Old 04-01-12, 10:10 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad I have a 1997 now. I can't imagine it would be that big of a difference would it? I mean its just head internals and sensors right?
Old 04-01-12, 01:48 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the vvti swap. You'll have replacement parts off your current vvti ge such as coils, igniter and vvti actuator. 1jz-gte vvti has higher compression ratio so it's better off boost and the single turbo builds boost faster. 1jz to 1jz vvti is a larger upgrade than 2jz to 2jz vvti. The hardest part about a 1jz vvti swap is if you ever want to go singe turbo finding a 1jz manifold but a few ebay vendors sell them.
Old 04-01-12, 01:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Durangosc
I was wondering if you knew of any reason you can't swap a 1jzgte into a 1998 sc300 with the vvt-i? Anything that would make it more difficult or if I need a 1jzgte vvt-i to do the swap? IS the wiring the same? My other question is, I live far from anyone that can tune my car, is a 1jzgte swap better than trying to tune my own NA-T? Thanks For your help.
I would NA-T it. The 1JZ VVT-i is a great engine. Even so, once you move away from stock and need to buy performance parts or more importantly, tune it....good luck!
Old 04-01-12, 04:12 PM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I would NA-T it. The 1JZ VVT-i is a great engine. Even so, once you move away from stock and need to buy performance parts or more importantly, tune it....good luck!
So you are saying it will be easier to Tune a NA-T vs an upgraded turbo set up on a 1jzgte VVT-I?
Also is there and issues with the ECU when swapping a older non VVT-I into my VVT-I?
Old 04-02-12, 12:18 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ it says Chaser..
Old 04-02-12, 12:32 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ it says Chaser..
It's clearly Soarer
Old 04-02-12, 04:53 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Durangosc
So you are saying it will be easier to Tune a NA-T vs an upgraded turbo set up on a 1jzgte VVT-I? Also is there and issues with the ECU when swapping a older non VVT-I into my VVT-I?
I take it back. I forgot you are already VVT-i. It is going to suck to tune regardless of the engine you go with, but your 2JZ rods are weaker than a VVT-i 1JZ set. I change my recommendation to the VVT-i 1JZ
Old 04-02-12, 11:59 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a soarer, i've confirmed it from the seller personally. i was looking at it at one point.
Old 04-02-12, 12:41 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just wanted to clear up some misinformation here, as i have actually owned a 1jzgte VVTI:

Originally Posted by StiCk3
Lastly, and this was the biggest setback, finding OEM and aftermarket parts for the VVT-i engine. Gaskets kits, turbo upgrades, etc. are hard to find on this side of the world. That was my biggest fear so i went with a non VVT-i setup on mine.
exactly which parts are you referring to? i had no problem finding gaskets/coils/wires/parts/etc. for my 1jzvvti. most of the engine is normal 2jz/1jz stuff...
i guess if you're looking for complete engine gasket kits, then yes, you'd have a problem. i had no problem replacing my front and rear main seals, ignition coils and spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets. the turbo is kind of strange, but driftmotion sells an upgraded stock turbo and the ct15b downpipe flange if you want to upgrade, and there are some chinese t3 and t4 manifolds out there for it if you want to do a full turbo upgrade.

it's basically just a 2jzgte VVTI with a shorter stroke, single turbo setup, 9.0:1 compression, and the is300 ignition system.

they are sweet engines. i got 27mpg on the highway with mine when i went on a road trip, and i dyno'd 255whp @ stock boost (10psi) with a stock exhaust... on a dynodynamics dyno.

Originally Posted by SCSIN
GTe motors on all years have the same RODS and pistion the only diff is that the 2jz has oil squirters
this is not true.

also, account2x, the 1jzgteVVTI turbo actually isn't really an upgrade in airflow over the older 1jzgte twins. from what i've seen, the twins always dyno higher (~330whp), and the 1jzvvti people usually don't make it much over 300whp. it's not exactly apples to apples, as the turbo setups and engine compression is different, but the earlier 1jzs usually make more power on the stock twins.
the vvti had insane boost response though. mine would hit 10psi by like 2300rpms with my stock exhaust.

Last edited by cartmill; 04-02-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-02-12, 12:51 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

OP, the real problem with this swap is the fact that you have a 98+ SC300.
i THINK the stock alarm goes through the stock ecu like on the is300 so it's difficult to have everything work when you replace the ECU with a standalone or other stock ECU (someone correct me if i'm wrong here).
Old 04-02-12, 03:33 PM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know much wiring there is involved in swapping a 1jzgte vvt-i into my 2jzge vvt-i? are there enough resources to accomplish this?
Old 04-03-12, 07:12 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the 1JZ that you linked to on ebay, there will be VERY minimal wiring that needs to be done aside from lengthening the harness. If you're going to do it, better snap that one up other wise you need to rewire and swap out the oil pan just for starters.
Old 04-03-12, 07:22 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

you gonna drop it in with that front sump pan on there?

Quick Reply: 98 SC300 vvt-i to 1jzgte question