Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 SC300 vvt-i to 1jzgte question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 07:51 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSIN
all the info u need is here with pictures

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...arness-diagram

wow.
you know what sucks, i figured out every single bit of that info myself. that thread would have saved me weeks of time. i did my swap in the summer of 2010, so i guess that guy hadn't quite gotten started on his yet.

just FYI, if you're using a chaser jzx100 engine and harness, be advised that the chaser electrical system is completely different from the soarer/supra, as you can see from that dude's translated wiring diagrams, so i think it's best to use your own separate relays and just wire it up aftermarket standalone EMS style. and you're using the stock jzx100 ecu right? here's what i did:

i used my own relay/fuse panel that consisted of 1 ECU relay, 1 IGN/INJ/SENSORS relay, and 1 FUEL PUMP relay. between the battery and the relays i had a 4 fuse fuse block (same one that Haltech uses for their standalones) and used a 3a fuse for the ECU, 20a for the ign/inj/sensors, and a 20a for the fuel pump.

you'll also need to lengthen the harness about 10". i recommend using non-insulated barrel crimps and appropriately sized heat shrink. soldering all this stuff would take DAYS. it took me several hours. i extended mine about 18" and i ended up having about 8" of extra harness length, so 10" should be good.

i bought the two male ECU plugs that are missing, and i pinned the required pins that guy talks about in his post #25. it ended up being pretty clean.

you're going to have to change the oil pan to rear sump, alter the turbo oil drain to drain to the rear sump pan, get a downpipe fabbed (driftmotion sells the flanges now), get a new upper radiator hose, get an intercooler, and all kinds of other piddly stuff. the SC climate control uses a low current signal to send to the ECU to kick the AC compressor on and raise the idle, but it's opposite the chaser (12v instead of ground, maybe the other way around, cant remember) so you have to use a high-sensitivity relay. i didnt do this, and just used a separate simple switch to trigger that pin at the ECU...

OP would be going into undocumented territory swapping this engine into a 98+ SC.

Last edited by cartmill; 04-03-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 03:07 PM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO I am now going with a non vtti 1jz into my 98 sc300. What wiring will be involved? any more than if I had an earlier sc?
Old 04-12-12, 03:48 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why though? You have a 98 i would think it should be easier since the engine harness both the 2jzgevvti and the 1jzgtevvti is almost indentical atleast in term on connector on the engine side.

Its really not that bad , i vote for the vvti .
Old 04-12-12, 05:36 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Quick, the 98+ sc300 harness and the 1jzgtevvti harnesses are completely different, like not even close, unless he can find a unicorn Soarer 1jzvvti engine/harness. Even then, it has to be different from the 98+ sc300, which is completely different from the 97- and exactly like the is300...

They do have the same wastespark setup with the 3 channel igniter and 3 coils, but a lot of stuff is different (1j inectors are semi-sequential, ecu plugs are all totally different, etc.)
Old 04-12-12, 07:56 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I am talking about the engine side..

same coils, same ignitor , vvti setup, injectors .

The only thing the 98 VVTi ge doesn't have are the map sensor, the maf maybe different and some of the ecu plugs maybe differen and couple little stupid stuff.

The 98 already works with his car just add whatever is missing into the ge harness or just swap the ecu plugs if they are different.

I know the body plugs from the Sc to the Chaser are different but the engine side is almost identical .

I would just do the VVTi if that really what you want and if you gonna be manual, the wiring puting that set up in the 98 is not bad.

98-2000 SC is the 3 row pin so it's not gonna be to difficult to merge both harnesses .
Old 04-12-12, 08:07 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

So you are talking about using the ge ecu to run the 1j? Ive thought about that, as i have plug-in obd2 emissions testing here near Nashville, but you'd at least have to have a good piggyback ecu. For all that work, why not just do NA-T?

Also, the injectors are fired in pairs on the 1j. On the 2j they are sequential, so that would be a problem right off the bat. The 1j vvti is a MAF system that uses a different MAF (from a 95-96 ls400, voltage is prob different from 98 SC) and there's no MAP sensor. And the ecu plugs are all totally different, at least they were on my chaser harness. I'm pretty sure the vvti soarer had plugs like the jzx100.
Old 04-12-12, 08:18 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

You are not understanding me lol

Pull the body plugs of the 98 sc and merge them in the 1jz engine harness.

He can use the ge harness too just add what's missing and what doesn't match, like maf or whatever..

This setup is really not as hard as people make it seems. it's almost like putting a ariso gte in the SC300 using the ge harness and just add the sensors , ignition wires and injector wires, map , VSV.

I have done it 5 times so i know it could be done.

Switching the injectors wires from batch to sequential or the other way around is not a big deal..easy fix
Old 04-12-12, 08:53 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say a 92-97 ge to gte swap is *way* easier. Wouldn't you?

How many 1jz vvti engines have you swapped into 98+ SCs? Just curious. You seem to have done this a lot.

Why don't you make a HOWTO for the guy?
Old 04-12-12, 09:23 PM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

I want to use a non vvti 1jzgte so that I can tune it easier. Can anyone give me some insight on how dificult this will be since i have a vvti motor or is similar to all the older sc300 1jz swaps?
Old 04-12-12, 09:56 PM
michael63
Driver School Candidate

i have a 98 sc300 and did a 1jz swap into it wasnt that difficult my friend did everything i had everything from a soarer though i guess that helped a lot lol
Old 04-12-12, 10:53 PM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by michael63
i have a 98 sc300 and did a 1jz swap into it wasnt that difficult my friend did everything i had everything from a soarer though i guess that helped a lot lol
What all did you need from the soarer i was just going to get jdm engine with the trans and ecu. Any issues with the swap? How hard was the wiring? Could I talk to your friend who did the work? Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 05:01 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Why is it *way* easier ? IS it because they share the same ecu plugs? You still have to know what you are doing. How many on here went an converter their own harnesses i am not talking about extending your harness

I think i have done enough gte swaps, na-t, etc.. so i am pretty sure i know what's involve.
I did name a few swaps but edited my posts , this thread is not about me sorry.

I really don't have Time for a *HOW TO* right now sorry.

OP what are you goal for this car power wise? And you live in Co which required smog test what are gonna do about that ?

If you really have to pass OBD2 test you can do 2jzgte swap and just use the USDM OBD2 ECU , injectors, and maf sensor that should take care of the smog test for you and Your OBD2 port will still be functional!

Last edited by 99SC42; 04-13-12 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-13-12, 08:26 AM
Durangosc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Why is it *way* easier ? IS it because they share the same ecu plugs? You still have to know what you are doing. How many on here went an converter their own harnesses i am not talking about extending your harness

I think i have done enough gte swaps, na-t, etc.. so i am pretty sure i know what's involve.
I did name a few swaps but edited my posts , this thread is not about me sorry.

I really don't have Time for a *HOW TO* right now sorry.

OP what are you goal for this car power wise? And you live in Co which required smog test what are gonna do about that ?

If you really have to pass OBD2 test you can do 2jzgte swap and just use the USDM OBD2 ECU , injectors, and maf sensor that should take care of the smog test for you and Your OBD2 port will still be functional!
I don't need to pass any emissions where I live so I don't mind getting ride of the obd II. Down the road my power goals are no more than 400whp. I want to keep 1jz stock tranny. I have a friend that is good with wiring if I have both pin out is there really that many wires to change?
Old 04-13-12, 09:00 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Bingo ! then you are good to go..I vote for the VVTi all the way.

Here is the thing both engine will require some wiring..but at the end of the day it's all about you and what's gonna make you happy!

So both the non VVti and VVTi will make 400rwhp , on stock 1jz trans , you just need a decent Single Turbo 60-1 and you are there.

I think the stock 1jzgte vvti stock single will make 460-470hp which is about 400rwhp so you may not have to upgrad the Turbo if you do go that route..

You need the pinout for both harness for the 1jzgte and the 98 SC300 and go from there.

GLWS with whatever Engine you decide to go with!
Old 04-13-12, 09:07 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

from what i have seen, the 1jz vvti single turbo flows less air than the earlier 1jz stock twins, and people dont make it much over 350whp.

it does spool up instantly, but im pretty sure it flows less air.

Quick Reply: 98 SC300 vvt-i to 1jzgte question