Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new guy, some sc300 turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 10:18 PM
cds01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy, some sc300 turbo questions

my dad just bought a 93 sc300 in gorgeous condition with about 90k miles and auto transmission. the interior is so beautiful, and has that lexus class that i love. he picked it up for 8500 dollars (which i sit and look at the car and just cant imagine it being worth only 8500 bucks). apparently though, that is about the going rate for one like this. for the longest time, i have wanted a supra tt (93.5-95) and was hoping to find one by end of next summer after i had a chance to save up about 10k and finance the other 10-14k and bpu it, then pretty much leave it alone seeing as how i probably wouldnt have enough money to go single and what not. so, now i see an opportunity to break away from a supra and still be a happy camper. for the 22k or so price tag on a supra i could get a nice early model sc300 for 9 or so (with the 2500 i have to throw down, that leaves me with about a lowly 250 a month payment, which i probably have an extra 600 a month to spare). so what are my options as far as turbo performance for this. i saw a toyomoto kit which was like 5.5k, so about how much would labor be on that? or how much is a full 2jzgte+labor. can the auto when turboed hold up? can the 5 spd when turboed hold up? would a trans swap be necessary for that power (roughly 400 or so rwhp)? etc etc etc. if yall could point me in the right direction that would be great. thanks!
Old 10-29-02, 11:12 PM
cds01
Driver School Candidate

anyone?

could someone at least point me in the direction of a turbo sc owner on here? i haven't browsed these boards much so i don't know the who's-who of everything.
Old 10-29-02, 11:14 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

type in something like "turbo SC" in the search function
i would answer you if i had any knowledge of turbo
Old 10-30-02, 12:36 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I can't quite answer from experience YET, but I am working on it.

I bought my '93 SC300 5 speed about a month ago now, with 84k miles.

I have since purchased the following items:

-->SP63 w/ .81 jet hotted housing, compressor housing is polished
-->SP jet hotted header
-->HKS gt wastegate
-->Greddy 3 row intercooler
-->Custom intercooler piping, all silver powder coated
-->Blitz BOV w/ flange
-->3" ceramic coated down pipe
-->6x 72lb Injectors
-->2x Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps with Install kits and all fuel lines, etc
-->Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator with 1:1 boost reference
-->Fittings to mod fuel rail for larger injectors
-->HKS 2.0mm HeadGasket
-->ARP Head Studs
-->ClutchNet Clutch-Single disc, double diaphram pressure plate & 6 puck metallic disc w/sprung hub
-->Custom 3" single exit exhaust w/ bullet muffler & 4" SS tip
-->Blue GReddy Profec B Boost Controller
-->GReddy white EGT guage w/ memory & warning light
-->Matching white boost guage (30psi)
-->HKS Type -1 Turbo Timer
-->AEM Standalone Computer

So far my mod price tag is ~ $9,289 so I have already spent as much on the mods as I did on the car.

The only things we have installed so far are the exhaust and clutch. Everything else hopefully get started this weekend.

Basically, you can buy a turbo kit, but if you are going to want to go far with it, you are going to need a bunch of other things ... I am a huge fan of the SP kits from what I read, but I have also heard lots of good stuff about Toyomoto.

I can't help you out with a price on labor, because I got a sponsor for mine (all labor free), but I can imagine that with tuning you are looking at a very steep price tag.

Doing a 2JZ-GTE swap is a big dollar tag as well, I would recommend going NA-T because it just seems to be easier from everything I have read, however, to each his own.

Not sure how the tranny's hold up, auto or manual. I am hoping to keep the stock 5 speed manual tranny and crossing my fingers that it can hold the HP.

Good luck
Old 10-30-02, 03:24 AM
rexst_ph
Driver School Candidate

I have a Toyomoto unit on my 93 sc300. It's an automatic. It only has 25K miles on it to date and I can tell you a bit about the kit. Firstly, the $5500 you will spend for the toyomoto kit is bare bones and you will need odds and ends to make it work the way you like. So be prepared to spend more like 7500 to get what you're expecting. And thats not even an extensive list.

As for the auto tranny. I killed mine in a matter of months after quite a few hard launches and taking off from all those traffic lights. i couldnt help it. It was just too tempting. I had my tranny brought to Level 10 Engineering in NJ and they beefed up all the internals and I also got a racing Torque converter. My tranny is now ready for 1000 hp which it will never make. No problems with it ever since and I've had the turbo setup for 5 years now. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-30-02, 01:54 PM
cds01
Driver School Candidate

thanks a lot guys, you are a helpful bunch
Old 11-12-02, 02:07 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out my -GTE conversion results: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt
Old 09-23-03, 12:04 AM
j0hnyboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Angel
I can't quite answer from experience YET, but I am working on it.

I bought my '93 SC300 5 speed about a month ago now, with 84k miles.

I have since purchased the following items:

-->SP63 w/ .81 jet hotted housing, compressor housing is polished
-->SP jet hotted header
-->HKS gt wastegate
-->Greddy 3 row intercooler
-->Custom intercooler piping, all silver powder coated
-->Blitz BOV w/ flange
-->3" ceramic coated down pipe
-->6x 72lb Injectors
-->2x Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps with Install kits and all fuel lines, etc
-->Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator with 1:1 boost reference
-->Fittings to mod fuel rail for larger injectors
-->HKS 2.0mm HeadGasket
-->ARP Head Studs
-->ClutchNet Clutch-Single disc, double diaphram pressure plate & 6 puck metallic disc w/sprung hub
-->Custom 3" single exit exhaust w/ bullet muffler & 4" SS tip
-->Blue GReddy Profec B Boost Controller
-->GReddy white EGT guage w/ memory & warning light
-->Matching white boost guage (30psi)
-->HKS Type -1 Turbo Timer
-->AEM Standalone Computer

So far my mod price tag is ~ $9,289 so I have already spent as much on the mods as I did on the car.

The only things we have installed so far are the exhaust and clutch. Everything else hopefully get started this weekend.

Basically, you can buy a turbo kit, but if you are going to want to go far with it, you are going to need a bunch of other things ... I am a huge fan of the SP kits from what I read, but I have also heard lots of good stuff about Toyomoto.

I can't help you out with a price on labor, because I got a sponsor for mine (all labor free), but I can imagine that with tuning you are looking at a very steep price tag.

Doing a 2JZ-GTE swap is a big dollar tag as well, I would recommend going NA-T because it just seems to be easier from everything I have read, however, to each his own.

Not sure how the tranny's hold up, auto or manual. I am hoping to keep the stock 5 speed manual tranny and crossing my fingers that it can hold the HP.

Good luck
Angel.. I forgot to mention.. on your downpipe, was it custom made for the lexus, or can you use the mkiv tt downpipe to connect the existing pipes? I'm actually thinking to keep the existing sc300 dual muffler, but increase the pipes to 2.5 inch. My buddy that owns the muffler shop has only 2.5 inch pipes, and unfortunatly not 3 inches. Would 2.5 inch be sufficient enough for 350rwhp-400 max + existing mufflers? Is it possible to use the mkiv 3 inch straight through down pipe, and have it joined together with the rest of the sc300 exhaust pipes? thanks angel. It seems everyone knows you.. Even intellectual. net or something recommends Angel.
Old 09-23-03, 04:13 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

johnyboi....You could use the TT downpipe. How much modification is needed will depend on what manifold you are using and how far down it will reach. I used the TT downpipe. I ended-up cutting about 4-5" off one end and using a 3" - 2 bolt flange to bolt to my SP setup. Hope this helps.

gadgetSC-t