Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ-FE swap complete. S366, Haltech, E85

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 06:26 AM
silver z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Sorry to hear about that 1UZ lasting only a couple of months after all the time , money and hard work poured on it. Indeed it is discouraging after a failed build. Some people tend to lay low on it. Seen it many times.

It is always the case, you are right when you say , you cheap out specially on engine internals , you will learn the hard way.

What tranny do you have on that 300zx ? CD0009 ?
it originally had a r-154 behind it, was thinking of the cd009 but went with the z32 5 speed with an adapter kit.

Originally Posted by PseudoK
how you fit that engine in there when a V8 wont clear the hood?
Fits just fine its as low as possible i can tell you that.

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Z32 Trans =Stock 300ZX trans .

Glad to see your setup still together!! I remember I pulled that motor out so you could come pick up lol, it was like yesterday
yeah was a great little motor thats for sure, i think the only thing left from that whole set is the head lol
Old 06-09-15, 10:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

clean 300zx very nice, sad to hear about the headbolts stretching but very understandable at those power levels.
the best part of those is the head, the 1.5JZ came out looking clean.
Old 06-09-15, 11:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by silver z
it originally had a r-154 behind it, was thinking of the cd009 but went with the z32 5 speed with an adapter kit.
That Z looks good. I always had something for those TT 300zx...sexy. The only thing that prevented me in the past to have one was I hated how crammed that engine bay is. Too much work every time you need to repair something.

Got a buddy doing a 2jzgte with CD009 on the same car now. IF if find a real clean one in alpine silver color... I might do the same swap now that these adapters for 2jzgte are easily available .
Old 06-09-15, 12:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Gerrb, before you build one take one for a test drive and see if you like how it drives. the 300zx handles differently than the rest of the nissans, and it is cramped, but on the other hand it is a strong chassis for sure (except for the oversized slow motor). stock z32 trans can handle more than an r154 can and the lsd etc.. are easier to get a hold of.
Old 06-09-15, 01:29 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Gerrb, before you build one take one for a test drive and see if you like how it drives. the 300zx handles differently than the rest of the nissans, and it is cramped, but on the other hand it is a strong chassis for sure (except for the oversized slow motor). stock z32 trans can handle more than an r154 can and the lsd etc.. are easier to get a hold of.
thanks and will do .. i don't know why I always love the way they look...sleek & sexy

i will help my buddy button up his 2jzgte swap/CD009 swap and will test drive it. He bought the CD009 new here at Z1 since it is near us and got a collins adapter.
Old 06-09-15, 02:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that combo sounds like alot of fun let us know how it drives. I might actually be picking up a sc400 much sooner than I thought, and if that goes through the 350z trans I was prepping for the 300 might just end up as part of the sc400 build, along with a single turbo of course.
Old 06-09-15, 02:13 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

damn, do a twin turbo sc400... I always wanted one , so i can just duplicate your setup , haha. It doesn't have to be a high hp. i just like the looks of twins on an 1uz. 400-500rwhp will make me happy.... Got 3 shells and maybe can use one for a twin 1uz.
Old 06-09-15, 02:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Ill take a look at it and If I can make it happen I would seriously consider even though it would be alot of double work, it would def spool ridiculous with 2 smaller turbo's but would worry about it choking out on top.
Def put one of those shells to good use. after hearing that v8 turbo I officially feel a little bored with my GE NA-T its almost like its too easy to work on now and I wouldn't mind the extra torque.

another fun one I was dreaming up would be a single turbo feeding a supercharger to get the benefit of twin charged down low response and up top power, but to have that work great you would need the screw type supercharger that sits over the intake as those give boost off the line (like SC400TT has). apparently the vortech that goes on the bracket has similar lag to a turbo, so that wouldn't help much as a twin charger setup (what I was thinking of doing before I found that out).

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-09-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 04:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Hahaha, now you are rekindling my interest on the twins which I had since I had my first SC. I have two BW S256 turbos that I was planning to use as my aftermarket twins on my daily driver 2jzGTE SC when the stock twins konk out ... I can probably use them first on a twin 1UZ but i am not planning to spend on its internals.. not worth for me. I just want to see up to where that stock 1UZ internals will hold. I know just the fabrications for the forced induction components of the twins and their dp/mp/exhaust would already be ridiculously pricey . i will do all the install and wiring to save on labor. Let me know when you come up to something on design, I will look around if someone can do something for me on those FI & Exhaust components without giving away my arm and leg. Damn , just waste gates and blow off valves for the twins would already be around $1k .

Hahaha... I know the 2JZ after working on them for a while, they are easy to work on.. but damn 1UZ, every time i remember where the damn starter is, it makes me cringe and don't even want to touch it..lol

I still have one built ATF A340 trans around so i will use that . I hate to get it running and blow that damn sc400 trans on the first day with just 400rwhp.

Looks like that inverted manifold design on this thread got the AC lines out thus no AC ? Heck.. not here in the South ,

Last edited by gerrb; 06-09-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 09:49 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter isn't the hard part, it's the water crossover bridge. After that the starter is cake! When I had my MKIII with the 2J in it, OMG that starter was killer.

I ended up cutting my 14mm (or was it a 12mm) ratchet wrench, and leaving it there for the future lol.

Also for twins, I think a pair of T25's would fit the bill. They are small, made for a 2.0, and cheap. Internal wastegate saves a bit of room. Also, you wouldn't need twin BOV's, one nice one would do the trick.

Or you could go cheap, and get two DSM BOV's (after you crush them, they are good for like 20 psi or something silly).

I think the biggest hurdle, would be to relocate the battery and fuse box for extra room. And dealing with some kind of standalone setup. (KMV sensor likes to fall apart under boost, I had to silicone mine, when I was running FMU).

I guess going megasquirt piggy backed would be sufficient and would allow the use of the auto trans.

MitchP supposedly made a base map for the AEM EMS that didn't require repinning (again it's all hearsay anyway).
Old 06-11-15, 10:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah Gerrb it looks like that SC4 I had my eye own was not the right one, didn't "Speak" to me, but I will be picking one up this year hopefully, right now I am not in a rush have alot of projects on my plate but yeah I always thought the v8 was worthy from way back, my brother has a clean sc400 back in the day (Ali SC4), and man that car always put a smile in my face even though its underpowered compared to a 2jzgte, that torque helps it move quite nice on the highway and the sound, the sounds is for sure the best part.

yeah the sc400 trans would have to go, not worth the time to blow it and replace it, you should def go built on it.
not a question in my mind though I would have to go manual on a 1uz, always wanted one.

internally gated might not be a bad idea on the twin setup for the 1uz, it would def save some space.
you would only need 1 good BOV after the 2 turbos merge together you can even have a 2 in 1 out inter cooler if you like to reduce piping. lots of ways to go about something like that.

standalone is a no brainer the aem ems plugs in and the engines only uses 2 coils stock, so unless you are going to full out coils right away you can use that ems just fine or get the v2. you can still run vvti coilpacks in wasted spark on it using 4 coil drivers anyways, so an aem v1 would be just fine. just need to change some of the outputs around unless you get creative with the base map settings for turning on the extra 2 injectors, there are a few threads on setting one up for the 1uz, and once you do that you can copy it and use it on all your 1uz builds (or wait for your buddy to do it and share the config settings). it does also matter which harness you have as the early ones are batch fire, so if you want sequential you have some wiring to do and they would use different calibration settings.

battery relocate is cake, its like they installed the cd changer and amp just so I could remove them for a battery box. fusebox is a headache, I try and leave it where it is when possible.

hopefully by next year I can have a build thread going on it. I plan to keep it as simple as possible and it will be on the corn 100%.
This thread has been inspiring to say the least, so thanks to the OP for that, wish they had thrown some ARPS in there and we would have known if the aluminum block would have stayed flat and true at those final higher power levels, for all we know it could have been a combo of both. on a 2jz its pretty rare to warp the deck, but on an aluminum block I think its a different story.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-11-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-11-15, 12:54 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go single, twins will create a lot of heat...You will not like it and there is not room for that in my opinion..

Electric fans and a nice single turbo would be ideal..thats what I wanna build unless want tuck the Turbos under the car by the front crossmember.

I have a few ideas since ive been looking at different LSX setups and Turbo kits.

edit

I wouldn't touch the motor if you gonna run on ethanol.

Go coil on plugs, MS3 or AEM v1 I would think would handle it v2 if you have to.

Last edited by 99SC42; 06-11-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 01:48 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Well, it doesn't have to be twins then. You are right, I have read about the heat created . Though I always loved the looks of twins. On second thoughts, I don't want also to spend so much money on this so single is good and I also am not touching the motor. The objective of the exercise is simply push the stock 1uzfe longblock and see up to what point will it stand boost without the stock longblock internals giving way. That's the reason I don't want to introduce any changes in bolts like head bolts. The moment you start opening the damn engine, costs starts going high too labor wise.

All bolt on parts should have room to be able to push the stock motor till it goes kaput so we can really test the damn internals.

It wont be a cheap exercise but if I can find ways to make it happen without giving away an arm and a leg then I probably can make it happen. The hard part for me is the fabrication. How much will it cost. Will it be something really worth doing ? I probably have everything exempt a motor and the fabrication parts . Motor is easy but I will look for one with a relatively low mileage from the insurance companies where I buy the salvage cars.

And most important, it has to have AC.... cant deal with a car without AC . Summer is the best time to enjoy a fast car but if I am like in a steam bath while driving .. heck no, forget it.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-11-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 03:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah the single would make it a project that would be completed in half the time. the v8 should have no problem spooling a T4 turbo faster than a 2jz can anyways.

Gerrb I sorta assumed you had some 1uz's laying around that you yanked out for JZ's, but yeah as you said they are not hard to find, skip the 95's and get yourself a 92-94 with batch injection harness, then you will know its the one with the good rods.

just sit it in the bay with the accessories minus the sc4 hydro stuff, throw on the ls400 fan bracket and some electric fans, flip the exhaust manifolds from side to side, probably have to cut off the stock flanges and weld some V-bands on there, and then work on a crossover pipe from passenger to drivers side that tees up to a t4 flange. all in all it will only be about 2-3 custom pipes and a custom downpipe.
oil feed via the union bolt, and return to the pan is pretty straight forward.

some people have kicked around using tundra or other v8 headers to flip, depending on the one you get with the sc4 it might have the bad design where one of the runners literally points against all the other ones. the log version one looks like it would work better for this application, and there are also aftermarket stainless steel headers one could start from as well.

the fuel system will probably confuse me more than the exhaust fabrication I have a feeling have never done a full custom fuel system before, but I think its about time read enough about it and will copy one of omars setups =)

I would try it with the stock heabolts, but arps would be cheap insurance for head lifting issues. without the arps probably what the OP hit is going to be close to where the head will start to lift. could throw some MLS headgaskets on at the same time, would probably sleep better but 2 heads = double the work again =(
Old 06-11-15, 05:18 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I gave away 3 sc400 engines on craigslist free stuff and 1 I sold cheap... hahaha.... cause I was never interested. They are not hard to find here in my area from insurance companies salvage vehicle sales.

I was just talking to my buddy Jared from Speed for Sale. He told me, man above 400rwhp you are on borrowed times with the rods / pistons of the 1UZ . His suggestion to me was... build a 400rwhp SC400 NA.. Individual Throttle Bodies (ITB) , Kelford cams , Direct Port NOS . That will be fun on the streets and scary sounding setup.

That setup will have less fabrications so it is easier to build than getting 400rwhp from a Supercharger or Turbo Charger . If you just want to test how far stock longblock will go... progressively increase your nitrous shot. That V8 is torquey . Those rods starts to get nervous and may bend so you need aftermarket rods and pistons if you really want to have fun and not worry.

Last edited by gerrb; 06-11-15 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 1UZ-FE swap complete. S366, Haltech, E85