Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How Do you feel about a Fan Clutch delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 09:36 AM
MumRah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do you feel about a Fan Clutch delete

well ive been pondering whether to remove my fan clutch and just replacing my radiator with an aluminum radiator with 2 electrical fans yet i have some friends trying to talk me out of it and some actually pro deleting the fan clutch off the 1jzgte
Old 03-23-12, 09:50 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

electrical fans are louder and don't flow as much air as the stock clutch fan and shroud.

read up on supraforums about the stock clutch fan. it's awesome.
Old 03-23-12, 10:21 AM
MumRah
Rookie

i will thanks
Old 03-23-12, 10:22 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stick with tried and true.
Old 03-23-12, 11:03 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on how you do it.

Its been proven that the clutch fan and shroud will keep your car running much cooler than a electric fan many times. I mean look at the guys pushing the big power. they are all running clutch fan.

Now if you do the electric fan route make sure that you duct the fans and make a propor shroud and I highly doubt you would have an issue.
Old 03-23-12, 11:11 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

I ran the E-fan setup on my 1J, but went back to stock clutch not because of cooling but because my 3'" piping route that I took interfered with my fan motors. Next go round, I will be going with thinner fans..

You can definitely tell how much more air flows with the clutch in comparison however, my needle has always been in the middle, with the clutch and e-fans.. I haven't used an external gauge to determine the diff..

In respect to the high HP cars using clutch fans, do any of the high end cars use clutch fans? (no sarcasm)
Old 03-23-12, 11:52 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
In respect to the high HP cars using clutch fans, do any of the high end cars use clutch fans? (no sarcasm)
what do you consider a high end car?
Old 03-23-12, 12:49 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cartmill
what do you consider a high end car?
Thats a good question.. anything that does 550hp+ out of the wrapper..
Old 03-23-12, 02:14 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

those cars may not have room for a big clutch fan and shroud.

my good friend has a 2004 M3, and it has a clutch fan. it's only 333hp, but i'd consider that a "high end" car... i dunno.

a LOT of brand new large trucks have clutch fans, and all the big rigs have clutch fans... they are just incredibly reliable.
Old 03-23-12, 04:15 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MOST newer cars with bigger motors or boosted motors run Efans bone stock.

Before anyone questions this, here is a short list

Evo
STi/WRX
350Z
Camaro
Corvette
Mustang (V6, GT, Cobra, Shelby GT500)

They are super reliable but do in general have a CFM limitation.
A properly shrouded setup on our cars SHOULD be just fine.
Old 03-23-12, 05:26 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran a GS300 e fans on my car , they work like factory pnp i just wired them in the EMS at certain temperature.

I have the same E fans on my GS300 , the car has 248k miles and my car never overheated.

E fans works great if you set it up right , and use the correct fans and shroud.
Old 03-27-12, 04:07 PM
MWSC300
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1JZGTE swap with FMIC and exhaust with a tune. I deleted the clutch fan and have no cooling issues. I am only currently running one fan as well.
Old 03-27-12, 09:13 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cartmill
electrical fans are louder and don't flow as much air as the stock clutch fan and shroud.

read up on supraforums about the stock clutch fan. it's awesome.
Listen to this man. I just built my motor but was previously making just over 600hp now shooting for 800 +/- on a high compression , high revving 2j and electric fans have never crossed my mind. Not only does the clutch fan with factory shroud proven to flow better but it a way more reliable than an electric fan setup.
Old 03-28-12, 04:45 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trufanatic
Listen to this man. I just built my motor but was previously making just over 600hp now shooting for 800 +/- on a high compression , high revving 2j and electric fans have never crossed my mind. Not only does the clutch fan with factory shroud proven to flow better but it a way more reliable than an electric fan setup.
Do you have any data to back it up?

So i guess the Efans that comes with the cars from the factory are not reliable? really?

So why everyone on SF is jumping on IS300 fans with PHR fan shroud? I think the whole setup is ~$900.

It's all about what you are running, fans and shroud if you are running some crappy Efans and shroud it won't be reliable.

Some 1k hp+ mk4 are running Efans and some are running the stock setup, my point is a properly Efans setup will be just as reliable a the stock clutch fan if not better.
Old 03-28-12, 07:15 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Not all cars that come from the factory are making the power 1j and 2jz motors do and we cant dismiss that an *** of power equals increased heat.. Electric fans tend to fail at prolonged high rpms and with the toyota shroud air is directed over more surface area with the clutch setup than it would two 9'' fans. And no everyone over at SF is not fleeing to the PHR shroud/electric setup. I see PLENTY of high power supras and SCs in south florida last year at our bbq of maybe 20-30 supras , 1 had the PHR setup(asked myself wtf it was for a minute) and of all the high powered sc, all were running a clutch fan. There are also plenty thread on SC of people going back to the clutch fan setup

My perfect alternative would be the 97-98 supra shroud with the two small electric fans. Only reason is when stopped in south florida heat they come in handy with cooling the condenser. But i guess to each his own.

Last edited by trufanatic; 03-28-12 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: How Do you feel about a Fan Clutch delete