Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Responsiveness

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 11:11 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Responsiveness

Hey guys I was searching and reading about the responsiveness of the 2jz-ge(and even gte).

It came to my mind when i drove sisters 2011 car which didnt have the same power but had a responsiveness that my 94 lacked.. I know age has a big part to it and im not sure if the v6 factor of her car has a role. But i wanted to know what are ways/mods to increase throttle response of the sc300? lighter flywheel? lighter pulleys? FFIM?

Ive been reading about ffim on a turbo thread, could we run ffim with out need of ems or any tuning(assuming stock injectors and maf and **** is used)?

Id really appreciate good help, i know how to search and i have searched.
Old 03-21-12, 11:22 AM
sj408
Instructor

What kind of car is your sisters? Alot of cars now a days have different response due to a multitude of things.
drive by wire.... direct injection.... secondary electric motors etc

For your car the first thing i would check, and i know it sounds stupid but check for slack in your throttle cable and tighten accordingly. Where its locked in the bracket you can remove it and adjust the 2 nuts to get your pedal response back.

also im assuming your car is stick by the lightweight flywheel suggestion?
Old 03-21-12, 03:11 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

yes its a stick, hers is auto. its a dodge van lol.. i also was thinking the distributor thing have a factor too? vvti 2jz have better response?

Ill definitly check the throttle cable since i have removed it when i was doing plugs lol
Old 03-21-12, 07:23 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive by wire

That's it.
Old 03-21-12, 09:15 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, same question the op posted except its a 94 sc400. I get very little response when i slowly accelerate from a dead stop. Now, if i want the car to MOVE, it moves fine. Its only when i let off the brake and accelerate moderately from a dead stop. I was thinking spark plugs? tune up? Any suggestions? Ill do it, i just need to be pointed in the right direction. The car has 129k, and lacks maintenance. i just got it Sunday.
Old 03-22-12, 05:27 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

remove slack from the throttle cable...if the car is moving the slack is taken out by you having the butterfly open. At a stop it is hanging
Old 03-25-12, 12:45 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem is more of a hesitation once it hits 1100 - 2000 rpm. If I accelerate on the pedal slowly it does it this hesitation right about 1100 rpm. If I accelerate hard i don't feel the hesitation because I'm getting past the 1100 rpm mark really quick. Fuel pump? I did plugs, seafoam, pcv valve, air filter....I'm lost.
Old 03-25-12, 06:53 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That minivan (in 2012 trim anyway) is packing 283hp and 260 tq, a good deal more than your 225hp / 220 tq. Extra displacement helps it hit this torque sooner too. I think the biggest difference you're experiencing is the van's electronic throttle can be programmed for a big initial hit, making it feel far more powerful than it actually is.
Old 03-26-12, 03:57 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
That minivan (in 2012 trim anyway) is packing 283hp and 260 tq, a good deal more than your 225hp / 220 tq. Extra displacement helps it hit this torque sooner too. I think the biggest difference you're experiencing is the van's electronic throttle can be programmed for a big initial hit, making it feel far more powerful than it actually is.
Thank you for the best info yet. I know the power differences and i agree about the electronic throttle.

How would ffim affect my powerband? would it need a tune or throw a code?
Old 03-26-12, 04:54 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was a better reader I would have noticed INTIMAZY beat me to the E-throttle point several days before.

I don't know enough about 300s to make a definite statement on the FFIM. If it's a vacuum-switched dual-plane like the 400s got in 98, it might be interesting. If not, your current IM probably makes more off-idle torque than the newer one.
Old 03-26-12, 06:06 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

If I was a better reader I would have noticed INTIMAZY beat me to the E-throttle point several days before.
Got your back.
Old 03-27-12, 09:05 AM
sj408
Instructor

I don't know enough about 300s to make a definite statement on the FFIM. If it's a vacuum-switched dual-plane like the 400s got in 98, it might be interesting. If not, your current IM probably makes more off-idle torque than the newer one.
Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Got your back.
hey i beat you both!

Thats why i had to turbo my sc.... i cant stand jumping in a newer minivan and feeling more power haha
Old 03-30-12, 10:57 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

lol my bad guys, i guess i just didnt understand "drive by wire" right away. so my 94 sc300 is drive by cable?.. did they change that at all on newer years or any 2jz like supra's?

The cable slack definitely helped it feel better on the pedal, thanks everyone for all the help, specifically intimazy and sj408 haha
Old 03-30-12, 11:43 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
The cable slack definitely helped it feel better on the pedal, thanks everyone for all the help, specifically intimazy and sj408 haha
No problemo!
Your 94 is a cable throttle. Not drive by wire.

In case somebody doesn't understand the question and ends up asking the same question next week, here is what the big difference is.

Essentially, when you press down the pedal on your SC, lets say 3/4 of the way down, the throttle opens ~75% (neglecting laminar flow, fancy physics, and the shape of the plate)
If you press the pedal down halfway. Throttle opens ~50%
If you press the pedal down 1/4 of the way, you guessed it ~25%

Drive by wire does things a bit differently.
Pressing down 3/4 way on a DBW car might also be ~75% open throttle.
Pressing down half way might actually be ~65% throttle.
Pressing down 1/4 of the way could be ~50% throttle.
DBW lets the ECU do some pretty funky stuff to the throttle position curve. For the casual driver it feels great. You think your car has soooo much power because you barely press the gas and the car zooms. Aftermarket even sells units for certain cars that make the throttle opening MORE aggressive. However, it does not in any way improve horsepower. Many times DBW is responsible for LOWER horsepower because certain systems will limit the throttle opening percentage in certain gears.