Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1995 SC 400 Coolant Overflow Reservoir Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 03:38 PM
stevesawsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 SC 400 Coolant Overflow Reservoir Replacement

SC 400 Club Lexus Newbie Here-
I own a 1995 SC 400 purchased about 8 years ago with only 8,000 origional miles on her. It was the purchase of a lifetime! I love this car- get many compliments on it from admirers.

I have what I think is a common problem occuring with these vehicles- the coolant overflow reservoir has developed a hair line crack and is leaking- I checked with the local Lexus dealer and found anew replacement was about $400!!!

I have made a temporary fix with hi temp epoxy- it works, but looks horrible and I am sure will not last.

The economy being what is these days, I need a alternate solution to the OEM part. I amwondering if any of you have any suggestions? I dont think a used part wil be any better in the long run. I have seen a chrome replacement part that looks quite different than the OEM part- not sure how this part works as a replacement.

Any help will be greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
SC400 Owner in the NW
Old 03-13-12, 04:14 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also in for ideas. Mine came with epoxy piled onto it but it leaks. The leak isn't much, needing a topoff maybe every 1k miles.

No need to buy a used one - it'll just happen again!
Old 03-13-12, 05:31 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to West Marine and order an overflow tank you can secure in the same space. Unless you are going for concourse original, it is not worth it to even consider buying the OEM. Alternatively, a wrecker may have what you need.
Old 03-15-12, 06:19 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try PM'ing Aliga. He's the man when it comes to getting used OEM parts. He may have one in good shape.