Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ran outta gas, now low idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 05:41 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ran outta gas, now low idling

This morning I ran out of gas, luckily just made it to a gas station. While in a rush I gassed up and switched the key on while the car was already on, apparently forgot to switch it off and now I'm low idling. I checked out if it was my gauge by putting another cluster in but same result.

My friend suggested it was dirt in the gas lines and to pour in one of those octane boosters, did so, didnt help that much although there was a very slight improvement.

Could this be a coincidence? Electrical related problem? Yesterday I was readjusting my subwoofer and amp and the line from the battery hit the metal piece under the rear seat (ground) and I couldnt catch it quickly enough until it stopped making sparks. I am crossing my fingers that didnt cause other damages.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-09-12, 08:47 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its very possible that the ECM tried adjusting for poor fuel amount when you ran it out of gas...reset the ECU by undoing the neg. batt. cable for at least 10 mins and start it again. It will idle low after this, but give it a few mins and it should slowly creep back up to normal. Good luck
Old 03-11-12, 04:04 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply. I've been testing that method for a couple of days now, it seems to idle normally, after doing the reset, while I'm in gear and say stop at a light. I put gear on N still idling normal... Back to D starts low idling. I figure something got messed up along the chain of events.

Every time something is fixed, its like........

Old 03-11-12, 04:47 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

How old is your fuel pump
Old 03-11-12, 05:16 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I think as old as the car. I was contemplating bypassing its ecu this morning but didnt have time. You think its the pump?

Edit: I just did the 12v mod for the fuel pump and I hear something from the back like a constant static like a plane. Performance is better, still low idling at around 1k RPM while on D and around 2k while on N.

Last edited by Kalogerus; 03-11-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 05:26 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Help? Would it have anything to do with the K&N filter? but again I drove 500 miles after installing it and it was fine until I ran outta gas.
Old 03-14-12, 04:06 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I was letting my car run and warm up the other day and had it run out while I was inside and came out to find that she ran dry! Did you switch the car on run a few times to get the fuel pump to fill the lines and pressurize before trying to start the motor? I was always told to do this and haven't had any problems. She is still running smooth. Have you had any luck getting it to run good again?
Old 03-17-12, 02:01 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

That day I was running late for class, luckily there was a gas station close by and died about 0.5 miles away from it. Started again and it did start just enough to get to the station. Filled up and rev'd a few times before I put in gear. Since then its low idling although I started it probably 30 times after that. Full tank but still low idling. I tried removing ground for 10 mins and the 12v mod with no result (although the 12v mod made a huge difference in performance). Undone the 12v mod still the same. I have no idea what to make of it. No engine light on or anything of that nature. I'm just quite baffled with all this.
Old 03-17-12, 05:15 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
I think as old as the car. I was contemplating bypassing its ecu this morning but didnt have time. You think its the pump?

Edit: I just did the 12v mod for the fuel pump and I hear something from the back like a constant static like a plane. Performance is better, still low idling at around 1k RPM while on D and around 2k while on N.
1k rpms is not a low idle. 2k in neutral is very high.
Old 03-17-12, 07:39 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh sorry sorry very stupid mistake. I meant 100's not k's. Also I didnt take in account that each small tick = 200RPM. Not sure what I was thinking.

On N im running 300-400 RPM (around 2nd tick) and on D Im running 200 RPM (around the 1st tick).
Old 03-18-12, 11:47 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Last night I decided to mess around n go hard on the pedal, red lined it a couple of times. After that at almost every light signal I stop for while on D the car dies. I didnt even know it died until the light turned green and car wouldnt go. It just gets quiet and dies. Is this related?
Old 03-18-12, 01:13 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Oh sorry sorry very stupid mistake. I meant 100's not k's. Also I didnt take in account that each small tick = 200RPM. Not sure what I was thinking.

On N im running 300-400 RPM (around 2nd tick) and on D Im running 200 RPM (around the 1st tick).
Update: Last night I decided to mess around n go hard on the pedal, red lined it a couple of times. After that at almost every light signal I stop for while on D the car dies. I didnt even know it died until the light turned green and car wouldnt go. It just gets quiet and dies. Is this related?
That day I was running late for class, luckily there was a gas station close by and died about 0.5 miles away from it. Started again and it did start just enough to get to the station. Filled up and rev'd a few times before I put in gear. Since then its low idling although I started it probably 30 times after that. Full tank but still low idling. I tried removing ground for 10 mins and the 12v mod with no result (although the 12v mod made a huge difference in performance). Undone the 12v mod still the same. I have no idea what to make of it. No engine light on or anything of that nature. I'm just quite baffled with all this.
You should test your ISC valve, your TPS, and your speed sensor. Check to make sure that your TPS is calibrated properly, and check to see if the ECU is throwing codes.
Old 03-18-12, 06:51 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Does unplugging your MAF do anything?
Old 03-20-12, 10:56 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any updates with the idle problem?
Old 03-21-12, 08:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there is a good chance you just lost 1 of your 2 coilpacks, it happens all the time on the 400.
An ecu reset should have cleared out the ecu, and if its still running funny it is probably a different problem.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-21-12 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Ran outta gas, now low idling