Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

no fuel or spark

Old 03-05-12, 07:12 PM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no fuel or spark

1995 toyota supra N/A

hey guys i took out my engine to replace several things and now put it back in, well I'm now not getting spark or fuel.

I turn the key and dont hear the pump whirring, and went under the car before turning the key and could pinch the fuel feed line, after i turned the key (maybe i was really deaf and couldnt hear the pump) i went underneath and easily pinched it as it had no pressure.

i also took out the main wire that supplies power from the coil to the distributor and put it about half and inch from the chassis and only threw one spark and thats it..it tries to crank but thats about it.

one thing to note is that i dont have one ground point which goes to the cylinder head, another thing to note is that i had a wire touching the positive battery terminal and i accidentally touched the intake manifold, and dont ask me how i know but the fuel pump started working..fuel everywhere because the union bolt wasn't tightened properly.

what do you guys think could make me not have fuel or spark?

maybe i shorted something out when i did that contact,....the main relay?

thanks for your input
Old 03-06-12, 10:19 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, there are several problems to diagnose at once.
Old 03-06-12, 10:21 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

First, you almost certainly fried something when you connected the intake manifold to the positive terminal of the battery. Thankfully, the fuel did not ignite from the spark at the unintentional connection.
Old 03-06-12, 10:23 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Second, you need a good ground connection to the engine. You do not have to take it directly from the battery ground but that would be a good place for it. You can use large gauge welding wire (stranded, cheap, and readily available) until you finish diagnosing your issues.
Old 03-06-12, 10:24 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

"I dont have one ground point which goes to the cylinder head" - Once you have a good ground connection to the engine you can retest your spark in the unlikely case the improperly grounded engine was the only problem. It probably isn't (see my first point above).
Old 03-06-12, 10:25 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Next, check your relays and fuses in case you blew one or more of those.
Old 03-06-12, 10:26 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

I am breaking these points up in case someone else wants to jump in and suggest a different test or order of testing.
Old 03-06-12, 10:29 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

If you have followed my suggestions so far, you have a good ground connection, you have determined either there is or there is not still a problem with the ignition, and you have confirmed all your relays and fuses were still good or you have replaced any that weren't and retested to see if you have spark and fuel.

In my opinion you won't have fuel and you probably won't have spark but I will wait for your results.
Old 03-06-12, 10:31 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

No Fuel - search the Forum for the 12v relay bypass and see if by some miracle that solves your fuel delivery problem. If it does, you probably fried the fuel pump ECU when you touched the wire from the positive terminal of the battery to something that turned on the fuel pump. If not, start the standard "no fuel pressure" diagnostics.
Old 03-06-12, 10:32 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

It is lunch time in Texas so we probably won't see an update until tonight. Good luck and keep the Forum posted.
Old 03-06-12, 10:44 AM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

hey thanks alot wadelovell, i posted this in texassupras.com as well and have offered 50 dollars to the one that helps trace this thing down

well i tested the efi relay and it clicks after i try to put it in when the power is on so its not the relay

i connected the grounds now but nope..the starter turns the engine over but like i said the car has no fuel or spark .

unless im missing more grounds.

how do i check if the ecu is getting power?

those are my grounds, the one next to left runner and the other ground under the 4th runner

thanks alot for your input i will try to follow the list you posted
Old 03-06-12, 10:45 AM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

btw do these engines have a crank angle sensor?
Old 03-06-12, 11:10 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

If the 95 has a distributor then no...op, when I had the same problem my fuses all tested good, but replacing the main relay started the car right up