Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 sc400 eaton m90 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 08:35 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

So iac can be remotely mounted between the compressor and the tb, but what about egr, and the adapter plate? Anyone got some more info on this topic?? What else is needed besides a longer belt?
Old 10-30-14, 09:33 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

If EGR is the only holdup, just delete it. It's barely worth worrying about with a stock system.

I haven't really studied up yet on SC supercharging (SC SC'ing!), but in general, the biggest issue is achieving proper belt tension. That may mean a custom mounting plate with adjustable pulleys.

From what I have read, the stock injectors, fuel pump, and ECU should be capable of handling 7-8 psi. That makes it an easier conversion than my previous experience where I had to upgrade the injectors/pump and add a piggyback controller. Assuming you have the adapter plate, of course. Without that, you're kinda up a creek as far as mounting it and aligning the nose with your drive belt.
Old 10-30-14, 10:54 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

well i'd like to keep EGR because of downed MPGs and soot buildup that removing it can cause. the adapter plate is the only problem yes, and a TB relocation pipe, it seems those 2 are the only things that need to be addressed, the IAC and EGR can be stuck on that pipe as well. the only place that has the adapter plate is bullet but it's 1900 bucks for just the plate, belt, and some bolts, which seems ridiculous to me. i wonder if i can use the top portion of the stock intake manifold as a template for building my own plate, it doesn't seem very complicated at all.
Old 10-30-14, 12:32 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

If you're worried about EGR removal lowering mpg -- and the difference is between none and negligible (I've yet to see anything definitive either way) -- then supercharging is not for you. (As for soot buildup in the blocked off pipe, who cares? At least it isn't building up in the intake manifold anymore.) When I SC'd my other car, gas mileage dropped from 30 to 23 mpg regardless of whether I'm in boost. I could probably gain some of that back with a less rich fuel map, but then I would risk knocking. The product literature about no efficiency loss when cruising because of the bypass setup is bs... Everyone I've heard from has reported similar losses, and having read up more this morning on SC400 sc'ing, expect a big parasitic effect from the extra drag on the drive belt spinning the charger.

One of the threads I read this morning, either here or on Lextreme, said that time and materials would be a minimum of $600-700 for just the adapter plate. And that was from several years ago, so probably $800-1000 in today's materials cost. Not counting a business' mark-up... It's an expensive game to play in.
Old 10-30-14, 12:40 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do a centrifugal supercharger.....that way you dont have to mess with the intake manfiold....and you can add a intercooler....

Here is the bracket on lextreme.....http://lextreme.com/supercharger-bracket.html

Or this..

This is the best place for 1uz/2uz/3uz performance parts......but gotta pay to play...

http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/tov81in.html

Last edited by CatManD3W; 10-30-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 09:18 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yea it seems the easier way to go, but costs more i wish someone would just give this stuff away lol