Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 02:20 PM
SC400R1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2

I forgot to start this thread earlier, Ive had my 93 SC400 for about 8.5 years now. Even though It mostly sat in the garage and was just a grocery getter while I was living life on bikes. I have taken a lot of road trips, and have put 100k miles on it. It's sitting at 210k right now, I take very good care of it, but I am very abusive to this car when I am driving. This car has been off road, lost control of and burned off many of tires. in Within the past few years ive taken a break from the motorcycle life and started doing little odds and ends to my car. It currently has Tanabi 1" drop springs, IS wheels. a couple years ago I did a black interior swap. (I still need auto shifter and floor mats).

I have a check engine (code 21) which I cant figure out. Ive replaced the main O2's and that didn't help. The car pulls strong as is, the few random times the check engine light has shut off it really runs like a bat out of hell. Anyway, recently I've added and intake, and exhaust. Exhaust is 2.25 from the headers back, with a Magnaflow X chamber mounted just behind the transmission.
I also just wired in my Apexi safc2, and Innovative Wideband sniffer last night. I need to calibrate wide band, then I'll start tuning. I decided to make this thread because there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of write ups on semi stock 1UZ's with afc's. We'll see how it goes, wish me luck

www.kriskoo.com
Attached Thumbnails 93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2-photo-1-.jpg   93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2-photo-2-.jpg   93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2-sc400-dynamic-1-web-.jpg  

Last edited by SC400R1; 02-29-12 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 02:39 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks nice and clean!
Old 02-29-12, 02:46 PM
DJVe
Driver

can't wait to hear how the tuning goes! I imagine with that exhaust set up, it is pretty loud/aggressive? when you say header back, do you have the stock manifolds on or aftermarket headers? also cats or no cats? what intake do you have on there, or is it bfi/custom? the dash looks dope, take picture from further back!
Old 02-29-12, 03:53 PM
SC400R1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! (its actually no that clean, I photoshopped out the holes from the front license plate)
The interior how ever is near mint (super lucky find!)

lol yea so this exhaust of mine, as of now it is stock exhaust manifolds, NO cats, & ust the X chanber. Intake is an Ingen. Ok believe it or not, the car is actually quiet. I thought it was going to be obnoxiously loud, and that I was going to have to add mufflers right away. Much to my surprise It is only noticeably louder from 1k - 1500rpms, after that it gets really quiet, windows down low speeds I cant even hear it. When I'm really getting on it, it sounds great and doesnt really attract any unwanted attention under WOT. I'll try to make a video with sound. I mean maybe it just seems quiet to me because I was expecting worse.
Old 02-29-12, 05:22 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested in seeing just how rich Toyota actually set the factory ECU to. And if there is a noticable difference by pulling fuel across the RPM band. Please keep us all updated!
Old 02-29-12, 07:42 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice car...you are one of the longest SC owners on here. I am sure it drives as good as it looks. :-)
Old 02-29-12, 09:14 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice
Old 02-29-12, 09:26 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice. Looks like you have got a good start on doing some mods. One comment and suggestion though. The injen intake is hurting your performance. This has been proven numerous times. The best intake is a custom one called a BFI (Big Friggin Intake). Search for it here. This intake, when done correctly, has been proven to make more power than any aftermarket intake out there. I did one on my brother's SC400 and it definitely works. May not be completely obvious but it does. I actually bought a pre-made kit that a fellow member has assembled and written out detailed directions for. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BFI-3-2-Air-...ht_2281wt_1270
Old 02-29-12, 10:32 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

very nice! my exhaust set up is similar but i still have my cats after my manifolds and but no mufflers just a X pipe. been debating about removing the once after the headers and installing some vibrant ultra quiet resonators
Old 02-29-12, 11:36 PM
SC400R1
Driver School Candidate

...as requested, a dash shot from further back. And please if you have a black auto shift lever please sell it to me lol. I forgot to mention I also tore my dash, AC controller, and all interior lights apart to install blue LED's (pain in the ***) I'm thinking white needles are next maybe? Oh yeah as far as mods go Ive also done the EGR delete, and cross drilled/ slotted rotors.

The car def runs rich, Ill let you know just how rich when i get the wide band calibrated.

Yeah I've had the car forever, and honestly i dont think ill ever get rid of it. I'm not sure how an SC came into any of your lives, but out of anything on the market right now, you have defiantly purchased one of the best bang-for-your-buck money can buy you. I dont mean to sound cocky or anything, but I feel like I have a pretty damn valid opinion of cars. Credentials: The car I owned Prior to my SC was a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo (fun car) Ive also had a 350z briefly. But my real experience comes from working at the Porsche/Mercedes dealership. Granted this was back in 01-03' I've still driven a LOT of awesome cars, almost every luxury/exotic you can think of from back then. Point is, after all the cars I drove, I reached the opinion that I dont think there's a better quality car than the SC that you can buy with out spending $50 to $100k. As I mentioned, even though I always take good care of my vehicles, I am abusive, and my cars are always being "pushed" I managed to break both my stealths, and I even broke my 3500 Chevy. The Lexus how ever, has really proven its self to be the best quality build I've come across. Yes my car drives like a dream, Ive replaced just about everything on it except the engine block its self. It's literally like a brand new car. The poly bushing replacement, and sway bar links was a recent replacement that made a huge difference in handling.

Thank you I will def look further into the BFI, i was actually thinking about fiber glassing a custom intake just to try out.

Axmily - what kind of header do you have? I def want to get a set soon, but dont know what's the best kind to get.

I'm pretty drunk right now so sorry for the incessant rambling. But seriously remember that Investing in your SC is always a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails 93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2-sc400-interior-web-1.jpg  

Last edited by SC400R1; 02-29-12 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 11:50 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400R1

I'm pretty drunk right now so sorry for the incessant rambling
Hahaha, pretty sure we have all done it. At least I have
Old 03-01-12, 02:45 AM
fliaznguy
Rookie

I like the history you have with cars. It seems we have a lot in common. The 3000gt vr4 was fun but liable to fail at any given time. The transfer case was especially prone to said issues. Anyway, I have spent the last 2 summers on an 09 zx-6r. Lots of fun but my sc400 and sc300 are both what I turn to in the winter months. As far as your shifter, as it is leather wrapped, you can dye it. Any place that sells a wide range of automotive parts/paint will have this. Scuff the leather with a scotchbrite (sp) pad and then you can dye it. You can hit the bits that arent leather with a latex paint. I'd do this when you know you have a couple of days for downtime on the car.
Old 03-01-12, 04:58 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Just want to say, you have a very.good lookin SC400
Old 03-01-12, 08:03 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never found anything I didn't like about my two Stealth TTs (92 and 94). The 94 was perfect and I sold it only because it kept getting me into trouble

12.5 @ 109 with only a downpipe, MBC, and HKS VPC/GCC combo. I loved hearing the comment "they're slow pigs" and making them eat their words.

The engineering of the SC is second to none. I like mine so much and it's still in "beater" status until I finish getting everything on it operational. I don't plan to restore it to showroom but it'll be clean and enjoyable for years to come. I do have a wideband for laptop use so I'm willing to try tuning my car -- I started with the old school "****" style SAFC years ago.
Old 03-01-12, 06:15 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Your headlights appear very clean sir! Maybe it's the lighting or something? I'd like to hear your car. Any videos?

Quick Reply: 93 SC400 + Intake, exhaust, safc2, Wideband O2