Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 1jz downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 03:20 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 1jz downpipe

Does anybody make a downpipe that fits on the sc300 with a 1j r154 swap?
Old 02-19-12, 06:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought mine used. Driftmotion sells them. If I go with a 4 inch DP, this one will be for sale.
Old 02-21-12, 05:33 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the question is do they make them for a 1jz with stock twins? Then the answer is no. I'm actually going to working with Aaron on this to make a down pipe just for the 1jz sc300.

If you're single'd then yes they do offer a generic 3" dp that should work for your needs.
Old 02-21-12, 11:37 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin727
If the question is do they make them for a 1jz with stock twins? Then the answer is no. I'm actually going to working with Aaron on this to make a down pipe just for the 1jz sc300.

If you're single'd then yes they do offer a generic 3" dp that should work for your needs.
If you get Aaron to make one for stock twins that connects to the aftermarket Y-pipe for the stock twins that is sold on Ebay and their site, then count me in. I'll even put a deposit down for it if he does it.
Old 02-21-12, 03:16 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
If you get Aaron to make one for stock twins that connects to the aftermarket Y-pipe for the stock twins that is sold on Ebay and their site, then count me in. I'll even put a deposit down for it if he does it.
Yeah,this is exactly what I want too.I know they make one for the single kit.sorry I forgot to clarify that in the post.
Old 02-21-12, 03:23 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

I'm sure he can do that.

I think that should be an option and another option for those that DO NOT want to run the y pipe in fear of killing the twins early.

So a new Y pipe and dp should be OPTION A
Just the dp off the stock y pipe should be OPTION B

Anyone else want to help support this?

Also if I had to ponder correctly and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the higher flowing y pipe is killing the stock twins because of what? Does it have to do with the shafts being ceramic?

If it does I know a guy who's building upgraded twins and can rebuild stock units at an affordable price. Even has the option of a stock rebuild and for an additional fee of upgrading to steel shafts instead of ceramic.
Old 02-21-12, 06:17 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure he can do that.

I think that should be an option and another option for those that DO NOT want to run the y pipe in fear of killing the twins early.

So a new Y pipe and dp should be OPTION A
Just the dp off the stock y pipe should be OPTION B

Anyone else want to help support this?

Also if I had to ponder correctly and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the higher flowing y pipe is killing the stock twins because of what? Does it have to do with the shafts being ceramic?

If it does I know a guy who's building upgraded twins and can rebuild stock units at an affordable price. Even has the option of a stock rebuild and for an additional fee of upgrading to steel shafts instead of ceramic.
These options would be great and I'm sure he wouldn't have any problem selling these.not everybody has the luxury of having a good exhaust guy to Fab these up so these would really help.and I'm interested in upgrading my stock twins if you know someone.
Old 02-21-12, 08:45 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Hmmm I always understood it as the stock Y-pipe was too restrictive and the pressure would blow the seals out when running increased boost. Not that aftermarket Y-pipes cause premature failure.
I've been running 14psi for about ~6000 miles now since last July on an ebay y-pipe and the turbos are just fine.
The ceramic delamination was a heat issue that I remember reading on the Aussie Soarer forums, could be solved by running a higher flowing aftermarket Y-pipe that doesn't trap as much heat.
Old 02-21-12, 08:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm I always understood it as the stock Y-pipe was too restrictive and the pressure would blow the seals out when running increased boost. Not that aftermarket Y-pipes cause premature failure.
I've been running 14psi for about ~6000 miles now since last July on an ebay y-pipe and the turbos are just fine.
The ceramic delamination was a heat issue that I remember reading on the Aussie Soarer forums, could be solved by running a higher flowing aftermarket Y-pipe that doesn't trap as much heat.
Interesting to hear! Do you have a pic of your set up? I am interested to see fitment etc etc.
Old 02-22-12, 06:47 AM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm.I'm curious as how much of a heat deduction a aftermarket steel y pipe adds.if so this could be a huge aid in helping the longevity of the stock twins.I think I'm going to try and Fab some bungs to the stock cast y pipe and to the steel e bay y pipe and install some egt sensors in and make a few dyno runs with each and see if there's a big temp difference between the two.it would be nice to have some numbers to back this up.
Old 02-22-12, 07:04 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

From what I've read here on CL and SM is that the ebay y pipe causes the twins to prematurely fail and that it's a hit and miss. Some run on the y pipe for a good period of time and others not long after install have problems.

Now this could be just because of the fact that each engine mileage is unknown of course and how well taken care of each 1jz was..

The real question is has anyone rebuilt the stock twins and then ran the aftermarket y pipe and if so how many miles, how hard, and how are the stock twins holding up??
Old 02-22-12, 08:40 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

I don't know how much I can provide in terms of pictures. It's kind of hard to see but since my cars in the air right now I'll see if I can snap a few undercar shots tonight.
Install is a royal ******. The Ebay pipe needs to be "massaged" with a "small" sledgehammer to let you thread one of the nuts on the stud.

Over on SoarerCentral, it's somewhat general consensus that the largest restriction is the elbow coming off the stock twins especially since the rear opening is smaller and blocked by part of the front exit. It could very well be the reason why the majority of the turbo failures on these cars are rear turbos.

Doesn't address the topic specifically, but a couple of members mention the use of aftermarket "dump pipes" and heat issue. (Note: their terminology for "dump" pipe differs from the one we more commonly use) Search on there they have a pretty vast wealth of info on the topic. The search function on the site is pretty miserable so it's going to take a while
http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-...834#POST444834

http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-...780#POST223780

The aftermarket Y-pipe also makes you run a higher boost even with a stock catback (up to 14psi so far on my car). However, I don't think this causes as much strain on the turbos as having to push through the tiny openings of the factory Y.
Oh and it really makes the stock twins spool wicked LOUD.
Old 02-22-12, 08:57 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

my ebay Y pipe holds just fine and my ct12a's are just fine when I was running close to 21lbs on my 1J.. What the Aussie guys stress is the Y pipe should continue its division further down and have a separate port for the WG.

Link to pics of Lews dump pipes: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...75/286881.html

They are rare so when they are up for sale, they can be had for $500 plus. Shipping from AUS is a killer.. EMS and customs can be a pain.
Old 02-22-12, 08:31 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
my ebay Y pipe holds just fine and my ct12a's are just fine when I was running close to 21lbs on my 1J.. What the Aussie guys stress is the Y pipe should continue its division further down and have a separate port for the WG.

Link to pics of Lews dump pipes: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...75/286881.html

They are rare so when they are up for sale, they can be had for $500 plus. Shipping from AUS is a killer.. EMS and customs can be a pain.
I really like the design of that y pipe.having separate dump tubes probably frees up alot of heat and turbulence.
Old 02-23-12, 12:16 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by simplified
I really like the design of that y pipe.having separate dump tubes probably frees up alot of heat and turbulence.
That divorced wg design is a good design. 7mgte guys have been using that for years on the ct26 stock and upgraded with amazing results compared to just a regular 3"dp.

Quick Reply: sc300 1jz downpipe