Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400: intake manifold porting and gasket matching

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 10:28 AM
dawhorl21
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol there is nothing wrong with bringing up out threads..... i have seen a huge increase in acceleration but i have not had a chance to dyno the car yet. i can post a youtube video if it would help
Old 10-18-12, 03:20 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawhorl21
lol there is nothing wrong with bringing up out threads..... i have seen a huge increase in acceleration but i have not had a chance to dyno the car yet. i can post a youtube video if it would help
Nice. What did you port? Just the intake? The exhaust side of the engine too? Any videos of SC's are good ones
Old 10-18-12, 11:34 AM
dawhorl21
Driver

i just ported the intake manifold upper and lower. i am gonna take the heads off and do a little port and polishing but the exhaust manifold is so rediculous there is no point in bothering it. if anything just get headers. yea i have been lagging but i will post some videos and like them
Old 10-18-12, 11:35 AM
dawhorl21
Driver

o and for the record to all who read this look up removing the anti squat wire that will give your sc new life
Old 10-19-12, 06:15 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawhorl21
i just ported the intake manifold upper and lower. i am gonna take the heads off and do a little port and polishing but the exhaust manifold is so rediculous there is no point in bothering it. if anything just get headers. yea i have been lagging but i will post some videos and like them
Nice I'm interested in the port and polishing of the heads. Could you post some pics while you do that? Maybe a guide?

Why is porting the exhaust rediculous? Is it much harder?

Thanks. Oh and the anti squat wire (4th solenoid tranny mod) is great!
Old 10-21-12, 12:46 PM
dawhorl21
Driver

yea i just learned about it the other day and it is great. who would think something like that would even exist lol. well cause no matter what you do to the stock headers they still suck unless you can get new ones. yea i will post pics of that too.
Old 10-23-12, 11:54 AM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Nice I'm interested in the port and polishing of the heads. Could you post some pics while you do that? Maybe a guide?

Why is porting the exhaust rediculous? Is it much harder?

Thanks. Oh and the anti squat wire (4th solenoid tranny mod) is great!
It's that pink wire on the ecu that u can just cut right? Nice to see this done on the sc 400, I've thought about porting since I got my first sc400
Old 10-24-12, 12:41 AM
dawhorl21
Driver

yea it makes a huge difference. its kinda dirty near the tranny but thats where i cut it. if the wire is pink it would be way easier to cut near the ecu not by the tranny
Old 09-28-14, 07:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

bringing this back, anyone else done it and have any feedback? maybe even recorded performance figures? i'm gonna do this tmr and just wondering what the outcome is.
Old 09-29-14, 04:21 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please take pics. None of the previous guys pics came through.
Old 12-01-14, 07:16 PM
dawhorl21
Driver

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Please take pics. None of the previous guys pics came through.
I have pictures on instagram @dawhorl21 but I will post head porting pix tomorrow
Old 12-02-14, 06:03 PM
sc300PR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, i opened the heads on my old sc400 but the headers are pretty restrictive.. the port end up being a decent amount bigger than the header opening.. so not much performance gain :/ i tried to open up the headers haha had noo luck doing that.. material was too hard to port for my tools..
Old 01-24-15, 08:48 PM
dawhorl21
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300PR
yup, i opened the heads on my old sc400 but the headers are pretty restrictive.. the port end up being a decent amount bigger than the header opening.. so not much performance gain :/ i tried to open up the headers haha had noo luck doing that.. material was too hard to port for my
tools..
Yea but once you get headers then you will see huge gains
Old 09-30-15, 11:36 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for posting this, dawhorl21. I started in on it a few days ago, doing a runner or so a day on my spare manifold, so I can swap everything over when it's done and not have the car neutered for days or weeks. I was using a grinding bit, which is slow going, before switching to a carbide cutting bit today. That progressed much quicker ... until it spun free and went flying who knows where, so off to the store to buy another.

I've found that the little casting notches (flat spots) in the runners are a good indication of how far to open it up. Overall, the upper plenum seems to be a very high quality piece, with few casting marks. (The non-visible lower manifold is another matter, entirely. I'll be cleaning up all that unneeded material when I get to it.) I did find it odd, though, that the throttle body mount has several rough transitions. I smoothed out the innermost edge of the lip and some of the casting marks on the wall behind it.

I also cut out the internal EGR pipe that sticks right into the TB opening, as I have EGR disabled and see no point in leaving that surprising obstruction in place. I assume the design intent was to drop the recirculated EGR air directly into the path of fresh air, so that it gets distributed evenly to each runner. I always figured it just got dumped into the far side of the plenum where the EGR mounts.

I'm curious what people think about shaving down the grooves on the top of the plenum? I'm undecided if they're structural reinforcement or purely a design element leading up to the Lexus badge. It would be a lot of work to smooth them all down, but as long as I'm tinkering with this with no time crunch to wrap it up and get it back on the car, it seems potentially worthwhile to remove as much excess material as possible.

Oh, and if people have any questions about the porting process, here's a decent guide I found:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ifold-porting/
Old 11-23-15, 11:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Here's what I ended up doing, in case anyone wants additional pictures and/or descriptions of the process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9253383

Quick Reply: sc400: intake manifold porting and gasket matching