Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is my Transmission shop trying to pull one on me ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 07:07 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
This is dumb.

A341 From a JDM engine is $400, and no one wants them. They have extra clutch packs to handle more power, and often only have 20-30k miles on them.

Swap bell housings and tail sections and now you have $1800 left over for blow, and hookers!
So his 5-speed ECU will control a 4-speed tranny how? He needs an A650E, and as far as I know, you can't just pop an A340/1 in there and ride.
Old 02-14-12, 08:35 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
This is dumb.

A341 From a JDM engine is $400, and no one wants them. They have extra clutch packs to handle more power, and often only have 20-30k miles on them.

Swap bell housings and tail sections and now you have $1800 left over for blow, and hookers!
Your opening statement is correct...
Old 02-18-14, 09:33 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's that time for me & I would like to replace the tranny in my 90 LS with a JDM.

Can someone with any experience walk me thru this? I thought that the speedo input was incorrectly located on the JDM case , just for starters???

I do have a good JDM source local to me. Any & all help appreciated!
Old 02-21-14, 07:57 AM
fourstars
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont spend that type of money for a rebuild transmission. you can buy yourself another "SC" for that kind of money. warranty will NOT help when your stranded and without a car for a few days, weeks or months.. my experience, these tranny are not made to be rebuilt. and as many times as you rebuilt them, you'll run into another problem related to tranny itself. you get a few guys who beg to differ.. but hey thats just how it is. toyota dont even recommend doing a full transmission fluid replacment, why do a full tranny rebuild. my theory, tranny contains gears and bearings just like differentials. if you ever done a differential change, you see it has a magnet on the plug that collects chipped or worn out metals. these metals comes from the gears after years of services. same as the tranny. the tranny gears becomes so worn that it causes mis-alignment by the smallest of millimeters. thats why toyota do not recommend COMPLETE fluid change. because the millimeter build up of resedues on gears actually helps. complete fluid change will damage the residuee. a complete rebuild tranny is not what many would expect. according to my tranny guy (family member), they only change what they think needs to be change. mostly those are gaskets, solenoids, bearings, pumps. sometimes snap rings and most of the time, gears are not change only cleaned. change what is broken and if it doesnt work, get a use 2nd hand tranny...
Old 02-22-14, 01:24 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would take that as a WONDERFUL excuse for a manual swap ;-)
Old 03-01-14, 09:28 PM
jjpark712
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe shop charges you to tell you that you're in need of trans rebuild.
I probably run my shop little different than others but this is what I do to check.
1. Check trans fluid color, smell and level.
2. Raise the car with one person sitting inside the vehicle.
3. Remove under body panels to gain access to bottom of the radiator.
4. Start the vehicle while transmission cooler line disconnected from the radiator.

Within couple seconds of engine running Fluid should come out.
If it doesn't, transmission pump isn't working and need to rebuild or replace trans.
Four steps takes about five minutes.
Out of all the transmission rebuild that came into the shop, never had to replace a single torque converter unless torque conver clutch is bad.