Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

USDM 2JZGTE going in

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 04:42 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USDM 2JZGTE going in

Okay, so after hours of searching these and other boards, I could not find the exact answers I am looking for. Basically, I decided on putting in the 2JZGTE, PREFERABLY the USDM version, but if I can't find a trust worthy one, I'm going to get the JDM version. I understand the differences between them what with turbos and injectors and blah blah blah. I know I can bolt my W58 up to it as well, but other questions I have, come up with debatable answers so I'd like something solid. What (finally to the point now) other ABSOLUTE essential parts/mods do I need for this to be completed. I don't want to run into stuff half-way through the swap.

Here's a pointless image of my bay to keep you interested. One thing I figured I needed was different motor mounts. I do have MKIV motor mounts for the swap. All info given is greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-12, 06:09 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like your brake booster mod. I have the same one on my car
Old 02-08-12, 08:23 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the same thing also.....was about to start a thread with the exact same question....funny read my mind.....

A small list that I have gathered (this is if you go the JDM 2J route):

1. Wiring Harness redone (I am sending it off to Dr Tweak)
2. Oil Pan swap from stock GE and turbo Oil lines drilled and taped
3. Find USDM turbos (or go single)
4. TT Fuel Pump
5. TT throttle cable
6. Motor mounts (replace if need be)
7. Intercooler/Piping

Thats all I have gathered, please someone chime in if need to be corrected or added to....
Old 02-09-12, 12:08 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I've heard that a certain year Camry throttle cable will also work.

I know that you also need (very incomplete additional list):

8.) TT PS pump reservoir
9.) TT MAF and tubing (I think it's a MAF for USDM)
10.) TT fuel pump relay/computer if it's any different from the SC's pump computer located in the rear of the SC's interior.
11.) A more substantial radiator for additional cooling.

I know someone here has covered a full listing of parts here or on Supraforums at one time. There is also the Phil Aldridge USDM swap manual which should list everything with instructions.
Old 02-09-12, 12:09 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-12-13 at 12:23 PM. Reason: duplicate post, just caught a year later
Old 02-09-12, 04:18 AM
Toastt
Pole Position

Thanks for the help. Still would like some more info before I start this though. Also, you said IF I go the JDM route, how much more different is the installation from the USDM one?
Old 02-09-12, 04:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nto-sc300.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-project.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...onversion.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...to-2jzgte.html
Old 02-09-12, 06:36 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toastt
Thanks for the help. Still would like some more info before I start this though. Also, you said IF I go the JDM route, how much more different is the installation from the USDM one?
Jdm engine you will need a US waterpump and housing to get rid of the hydro fan assembly. You would also have to use a front sump oil pan which you can get off of the GE motor. It would need to be modified though. Brake booster vacuum supply would have to be added. Supra fan blade with the sc origional shroud. Your stock SC radiator is fine, no need to upgrade. Use your SC motor mounts and brackets. Heater core hose. Cam seals and all that good stuff too. Jdm engine uses a map sensor and AIT sensor instead of a mass air meter. The JDM and USDM downpipes have different flanges on them. If you order a down pipe keep that in mind. There are also pretty indepth write ups on the harnesses. Also all of your factory AC stuff will work. No need to break the system apart.

Last edited by Vwpride12; 02-09-12 at 06:57 AM. Reason: yup
Old 02-09-12, 06:38 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

And...You will always run into stuff in the middle of a swap. GL!
Old 02-09-12, 07:40 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
Jdm engine you will need a US waterpump and housing to get rid of the hydro fan assembly. You would also have to use a front sump oil pan which you can get off of the GE motor. It would need to be modified though. Brake booster vacuum supply would have to be added. Supra fan blade with the sc origional shroud. Your stock SC radiator is fine, no need to upgrade. Use your SC motor mounts and brackets. Heater core hose. Cam seals and all that good stuff too. Jdm engine uses a map sensor and AIT sensor instead of a mass air meter. The JDM and USDM downpipes have different flanges on them. If you order a down pipe keep that in mind. There are also pretty indepth write ups on the harnesses. Also all of your factory AC stuff will work. No need to break the system apart.
Pretty sure you need a REAR sump. Front sumps are for 4 door toyota cars, Rear Sumps are for 2 door.
Old 02-09-12, 06:40 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 88supramki
Pretty sure you need a REAR sump. Front sumps are for 4 door toyota cars, Rear Sumps are for 2 door.
Yup, I was backwards, had to look at my thread...lol