Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

many problems with my sc400 1993 help !

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 07:06 PM
ryosuke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default many problems with my sc400 1993 help !

hi i need help and information and hope u guys can help me, im newbie =)

1. when i switch gears from park to drive or park to reverse or drive to reverse and vice versa the car gives one big car shake? any problems?

2. when i reverse and then step on the brakes, the brakes stutter 2-3 times in succession, doesn't happen in when i drive regularly

3. and very rarely, when im about to park but not yet change from reverse/drive to park but have my brakes fully depressed the car sometimes shoots forward 3-4 feet with the brakes fully depressed ! happen a few times but not consistently

4. what is a tune up? what gets tuned? how much is a tune up? should i buy the materials and bring to mechanic for a tuneup (use better parts since i dont know what stuff they use)

5. what is a fluid flush? what fluids gets changed? how much is a fluid flush? should i buy the fluids and bring to mechanic for the fluid flush ? (since i dont know if they use generic fluids or it dont matter, works the same ?)

6. if i turn the car in a local toyota dealer how much can i fetch for the car? its 1993, sc400, 82,000 miles in working condiion, condition is fair.

thanks for reading guys, i really need the help and info !!
Old 02-05-12, 07:22 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

well you have a lot of questions and ill answer them as best i can in order you asked

1. have you checked the transmission fluid level? the level could have an impact on the transmissions performance

2. never heard of a stutter in the brakes but can you give anymore details?

3. absolutely never heard of this

4.a tune up is a term that carried over from yesteryear. in the old days you would have to "tune" a carburetor depending on the climate or time of year. so to answer your question nothing gets tuned up. a new age tune up would consist of changing the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap. ignition rotor. different people choose to change different things for a tune up. normally you can find better deals then the mechanic but shop around

5. a fluid flush on a car is where the old fluid if pushed out by new fluid. most times it can not get all of the new fluid but it is alot better then contaminated fluid. some places do a drain and fill and others use a machine to exchange the fluid.

6. asking that question is a bit preposterous because no one here knows the exact nature of the car. there are many factors that you will just have to get a quote at ur local dealer. but why do all this other work if u plan on ditching the car anyway?
Old 02-05-12, 09:01 PM
ryosuke
Rookie

2. when im reversing and i press on the brake, the brakes and u can feel it, imagine short quick brakes in quick succession (2-3 times) when u only pressed it down once

3. i would depress the brakes completely and then the engine whirls and it shoots forward with the brakes completely depressed, happened 2 times so far over a span of almost 1 year, and those two times happen within a week or two, but still very dangerous... i haven't tailgated a car that closely ever since

4. how much it generally cost?

5. how much it generally cost?

6. because im getting 10 mpg, if tuneup and fluid flush can fix those issues i wouldn't get rid of it, but if it cost too much to maintain, why not get a new car if i can get 3 or 4 gs for turning the car in and get a new car.
Old 02-06-12, 09:14 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

2. Do you have an abs or trac light on?

3. Maybe it has happened to someone else but I'm stumped without seeing it happen

4&5. Again you have to shop around I bought the parts for my sc300 and did the work my self $2000 worth of maintenance for $350 also flushes I did the same thing as I work at a shop that has them. Call different places in your area

6. Different dealers will give you different values so bring the car to them and shop around