Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuild my 2J or put in a 1J?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 02:09 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild my 2J or put in a 1J?

I've been weighing my options, coming up with the pros and cons and I can't really come up with a decision. To rebuild my 2J with labor came out to the mid 5k range. For that much, do you think it would just be a better idea to swap in a 1J and already be boosted? Note my 2J has been blown so I need to come up with a decision kinda quick, it's not something I plan on rebuilding over time
Old 02-03-12, 02:30 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

id either 1jz or buy a cheap 2jzge to replace.
Old 02-03-12, 02:31 PM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toastt
I've been weighing my options, coming up with the pros and cons and I can't really come up with a decision. To rebuild my 2J with labor came out to the mid 5k range. For that much, do you think it would just be a better idea to swap in a 1J and already be boosted? Note my 2J has been blown so I need to come up with a decision kinda quick, it's not something I plan on rebuilding over time
What exactly happened to your motor? You're stating that it needs to be rebuilt, the entire longblock, Head and Shortblock or just the shortblock? Please elaborate...

I'm also assuming that your 2J is also a GTE?
Old 02-03-12, 02:34 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1jz like me!!
Old 02-03-12, 03:09 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
What exactly happened to your motor? You're stating that it needs to be rebuilt, the entire longblock, Head and Shortblock or just the shortblock? Please elaborate...

I'm also assuming that your 2J is also a GTE?
It's a GE and I spun a bearing. I know that doesn't require replacing all the parts I'm considering to replace, it's just one of those things that's like "I'm in there, might as well replace everything else"

Last edited by Toastt; 02-03-12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 03:16 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I think you should look for another ge block, replace the gaskets, seals, piston rings, and oil pump and call it a day. Would be cheaper, plus you can use the rest of the $ to turbo charge the ge and cross off turbo kit on your signature.
Old 02-03-12, 03:18 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I think you should look for another ge block, replace the gaskets, seals, piston rings, and oil pump and call it a day. Would be cheaper, plus you can use the rest of the $ to turbo charge the ge and cross off turbo kit on your signature.
I'm leaning more towards that now. I had the mind set of "I need 'stronger' internals" for a while, just for insurance purposes so I felt safer. The stock GE ones, especially if they're brand new, should hold of up for a lot of HP though. Correct?

Last edited by Toastt; 02-03-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 03:21 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

the stock ge internals can handle more then any tranny you put on it (with exception of th400 v160)
Old 02-03-12, 03:25 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imDementeD
the stock ge internals can handle more then any tranny you put on it (with exception of th400 v160)
Old 02-03-12, 04:18 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

...meaning the ge block can handle more whp then any tranny you can match to it with the exception of the th400 and the v160

so say you get the r154 transmission which can handle like 600whp ..the ge internals can handle it..thats all i was saying...unless your looking for 1000whp the motor (if in good condition) can handle a huge amount of power.
Old 02-03-12, 04:31 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm I came to the conclusion when my ge just literally came to a dump 2weeks ago I refuse to put money into it now so I'm biting the bullet and swapping the onebjay in
Old 02-03-12, 05:48 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently getting ready to drop some acl bearings and new piston rings in my block i would of dropped a gte but I rather the higher compression. at the end of the day and you guys have to do your research the 1j can take abuse but it won't out power the Ge block. and the 2jzgte is basically the same thing as the Ge besides the fact that the gte had oil squirts to keep the pistons cooler and the piston itself is different which is why it is lower compression but even the 1&2jzgte are known for spinning bearings.. So to be completely honest you are kinda better just rebuilding a Ge block just because in doing that you know the condition of the motor and it should cost you less then buying a used gte block which could have had the shid beat out of if with 50k miles..
# make sense?
Old 02-03-12, 06:17 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
I'm currently getting ready to drop some acl bearings and new piston rings in my block i would of dropped a gte but I rather the higher compression. at the end of the day and you guys have to do your research the 1j can take abuse but it won't out power the Ge block. and the 2jzgte is basically the same thing as the Ge besides the fact that the gte had oil squirts to keep the pistons cooler and the piston itself is different which is why it is lower compression but even the 1&2jzgte are known for spinning bearings.. So to be completely honest you are kinda better just rebuilding a Ge block just because in doing that you know the condition of the motor and it should cost you less then buying a used gte block which could have had the shid beat out of if with 50k miles..
# make sense?
I've came to the conclusion that there is really no sense in swapping the motor, but I can't find any solid HP rating for the stock GE internals, everyone has a different number
Old 02-03-12, 07:28 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toastt
I've came to the conclusion that there is really no sense in swapping the motor, but I can't find any solid HP rating for the stock GE internals, everyone has a different number
Ive heard 550-600 is the limit to keep some sort of reliability, but i believe people have put down upwards of 900whp on a stock ge bottom.
Old 02-03-12, 08:52 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

in reality the 2jz's are built equal in my eyes other than the minor differences in bolt pattern, interchangeability, compression, etc. when you want a reliable motor you really want to look at a good maintenance, the correct mods to match each setup and a "GOOD TUNE". i will change my mind in which one is stronger once someone does a tensil strength test/ stretch test on ge and gte rods/ pistons/bolts/etc. other than what ive said i have seen high power numbers in both motors and also failures in both. to the op i would just buy a used ge and work with it since theyre so cheap and plentiful. i dont ever see myself downgrading from a 3.0 to a 2.5 even though the 1j is faster but thats comparing apples and oranges since one is NA and the other is FI. on the same playing field both being boosted i think 2j would dominate in power and cost

Quick Reply: Rebuild my 2J or put in a 1J?