Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ijz newbie swap help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 04:10 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ijz newbie swap help

i recently purchased a very clean 95 auto sc300 for a stupid low price and want to swap a 1jz-gte 5 speed into it. I have swapped and helped swap many cars in the past but this is my first sc swap.i want to take the time and money to do it right.i have been researching this swap for a few days now and have found alot of helpful info but i still have a few questions concerning the swap.

im assuming the 1jz 5 speed out of the soarer is the swap i want for this since it has the rear sump?

does the harness need to be extended the 18ins some people claim.ive read that it has too and i have read that it fits without modification.and if it needs to be lengthend does and body make a plug in harness extention for this or am i going to have to break the soldering gun out?

there is alot of threads on auto to manual conversions so i think im covered on that.unless theres some little tips i should know about that havent been covered in other threads.

im assuming i will need a supra tt throttle cable cuz the sc's is to short? mk3 or mk4 cable?

will the r154 fit in the auto shifter location on the sc or will i have to fab some things up to make it work.i have the trim piece with the shift boot on it so im assuming thats all i will need?

and will the auto driveshaft bolt right up to the r154 or will i need a different or custom driveshaft to bolt it up to the stock auto rear diff?

i plan on running the stock twins for awhile or till they go with simple bolt ons like a fmic,downpipe,full exhaust.does anybody make a fmic,downpipe,exhaust that will bolt up with this swap or am i gonna have to fab all this up in house? i know driftmotion makes alot of swap parts but no bolt ons for the sc 1jz swap could i find.

i know the stock rear on the sc is going to be an issue once i start uping the power.will the mk3 rear bolt right up? if not what rear would be the best upgrade for my situation. i plan on keeping the car below 450hp.i want this to be a daily driven streetable car if need be.

and finally where can i find a clean swap at or atleast some positive feedback on some realible companies that sell them.

im sure alot of these questions are somewhat answered in other threads but i couldnt find any that exactly catered to my situation so any feedback would be greatly apprieciated.im trying to make this go as smooth and as clean as possible so i would like to have my ducks in a row before i start this project.thanks
Old 01-26-12, 04:43 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simplified
im assuming the 1jz 5 speed out of the soarer is the swap i want for this since it has the rear sump?
Ideally yes. Every other 1JZ has a little more work required to make it work.

does the harness need to be extended the 18ins some people claim.ive read that it has too and i have read that it fits without modification.
I have no idea how anyone could possibly do it without extending it. I considered it when doing the swap but saw that this wasn't going to work and just extended it myself.

and will the auto driveshaft bolt right up to the r154 or will i need a different or custom driveshaft to bolt it up to the stock auto rear diff?
You need the front half from a mk3 supra TT with R154 OR a Soarer front half.

i know the stock rear on the sc is going to be an issue once i start uping the power.will the mk3 rear bolt right up? if not what rear would be the best upgrade for my situation. i plan on keeping the car below 450hp.i want this to be a daily driven streetable car if need be.
I guess you're referring to the open diff. Really besides the lack of LSD, the diffs are bulletproof.
Mk4 auto TT will. Not mk3.

im sure alot of these questions are somewhat answered in other threads but i couldnt find any that exactly catered to my situation so any feedback would be greatly apprieciated.im trying to make this go as smooth and as clean as possible so i would like to have my ducks in a row before i start this project.thanks
There are tons, search again and good luck
Old 01-26-12, 06:07 PM
simplified
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info INTIMAZY. well def help me with my swap. my car is an auto and i plan on doing the manual conversion.pedal assem and the other parts that are involved. will the 1jz r154 swap shifter fit into the auto shifter location without any modification?
Old 01-26-12, 07:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My thread will cover several of your questions. Its in my signature. GL in your swap.
Old 01-26-12, 07:20 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

For the R154 5 speed tranny, Soarer would be the best option. However, another option would be a MK3 TT R154 + JZ bellhousing (you can get these from driftmotion).

Extension of the harness would be wise. It would provide the ECU protection from elements. I have read that some people leave the ECU in the engine bay and did not require extension. Soldering and heat wrap would be the right way to do it if you are going to extend your harness.

As far as the throttle cable, I used 88-92 4 door corolla throttle cable and it works fine. Also cheaper too.

Actually, I think all of your questions has at lease an answer if you use the search button.
Old 01-26-12, 08:38 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

for a noob you're off to a good start with researching. Here's what i can answer so far...

Definitely want to go through with extending the harness either by yourself or through Dr. Tweak (Phoniex tuning). If you do decide to extend it yourself, you may run into the starting/3k rev problem as you do have a 95. If you do you will have to work that out with some not so hard rewiring that i've documented and detailed in my thread (see sig.)

I have a MKIV throttle cable in my SC and it's a tad short to my liking as it doesn't fit in the throttle bracket on the intake manifold. It works just fine, just doesn't look pretty. A few members have mentioned older camry throttle cables as a better option.

Bolt on parts are out there, just depends on how much you're willing to spend. I spent a total of $250-300 on my FMIC fleabay setup. There are JDM FMICs out there but for the cost you're better off just fabbing up your own setup. Driftmotion parts will work just fine, just as long as it isn't MK3 specific like exhaust parts.

As for a motor swap company, I would recommend JHOT if they were still around. I got impatient and picked up a set off of fleabay that was listed as a Supra swap but i spotted some discrepencies and turned out to be a soarer setup. Was missing the map sensor and a few connectors were crushed during shipping. Also it had a bad PS pump, AC compressor, alternator and belt tensioner, but i swapped them all from my old 2JZ engine. It also had a missing MAP sensor and the harness was cut where it was supposed to be. Wasn't happy with what i got, but i made it work.

When you look for a swap setup look for a few things...
1) it's a SOARER setup not a SUPRA. Supra 1JZs can be spotted with their different wiring harnesses and ECUs. Chaser's can be spotted easily with their front sump setup
2) it's a complete swap setup. PS pump, alterntor, MAP sensor, etc. Even if the parts are bad you never know when you could use the parts. Plus you never know you could get some extra parts (i got a crusie control unit with mine)
Old 01-26-12, 08:49 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I have a MKIV throttle cable in my SC and it's a tad short to my liking as it doesn't fit in the throttle bracket on the intake manifold. It works just fine, just doesn't look pretty. A few members have mentioned older camry throttle cables as a better option.

Funny you mentioned about the MK4 cable. When I swapped my 92' 2jz-ge 5-speed out, the two cables were identical as far as I could tell. I agree that it's a tad short but it's workable.
Old 01-29-12, 12:44 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running the camry cable on mine, but it's just a little long. Works perfectly fine, just has a little slack.
Old pic, but you can see here that it isn't an absolute perfect fit.