Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone have same transmission issue / fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 10:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

hit all the classifieds and check your local stuff out also.
Old 07-23-12, 05:31 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea this sounds like a faulty shift solenoid. i have the same issue with the o/d light flashing and sometimes sluggish shifts, or perfect shifts dependent on at what rate im traveling (highway/city) - i have not had any 1st to 3rd gear shifts though.. im going to replace the solenoids, it doesnt look to bad.

drain the fluid
drop the pan
unbolt two bolts holding the solenoids on
unclip the harness
reverse steps to install new solenoids and add a new oil filter and gasket

DIY:
-If you get the kit with the lock up, that solenoid is farthest to the right
(http://www.rostratransmission.com/manuals/Form4187E.pdf)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html

The kit mentioned in this DIY is Rostra #67420K
http://www.electricaladvantage.net/t...lenoidkit.aspx
-This is a UNIVERSAL KIT, so youll have to find the bracket that will fit, however i found the following kit that has the correct mounting flanges. but i will 100% confirm this when i install it.

Part Number:
-52-9002
-Toyota Solenoid Kit A340E (3 Solenoids: 2 Shift, 1 Lock-up)
-Orange wired solenoid = shift solenoid
-Blue wired solenoid = lock up solenoid
http://www.rostratransmission.com/tr...ansmission.php

Confirmation on part number:
-jeep website but we have the same A340E transmission.
-part number listed: 52-9002 is the same as 940-00094393a
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post244408897

Vendor:
-part number 940-00094393a
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00094393a.htm

Last edited by bryan767; 07-23-12 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 12:49 AM
Markster
Driver School Candidate

BRYAN wow you rock man. This is great information.

So Check this out.

Let my car sit for a couple days and decided to tackle the Transmission filter change first. Took pan off and replaced transmission filter / screen. Does not have the wiring noise now. WOO HOO. And, it drove great. The transmission is not slipping and it seems to have fixed the dead transmission that I experienced the other day.

I still have the shifting problem though and I will tackle the shift solenoids in the next couple of days. I don't want to do any modifying of brackets so I will purchase the ones that fit perfect.

I will drive my car in the heat of the day tomorrow to see if the transmission filter being clogged and gummed up was the problem.

Oh yes, when driving car after transmission filter was changed, first / 1st gear had allot more power and the gear seemed much longer. Don't know why but maybe there is more line pressure now that the filter is not restricted with slime, allowing shift solenoid to work better. Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm excited to see if my transmission can stand the heat tomorrow.
Old 07-24-12, 01:30 AM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems in the 92 sc400 some people have an a340e and some a341e transmission. I purchased a340e solenoids a few years back for my transmission. I pulled the pan, replaced the filter, but the solenoids ended up being the wrong size.

Fortunately just a fluid/filter changed fixed my transmission issues at the time. So I didn't end up buying another set.

Last edited by V8drummer; 09-03-12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 01:39 AM
Markster
Driver School Candidate

bryan767 any idea what the OEM Toyota part numbers are for the shift solenoids? I am curious to see how much they are through the dealer. Like I said i really don't want to modify any brackets but I will if it is the only rout.
Old 07-24-12, 12:35 PM
Markster
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so drove my car today after replacing the filter yesterday. Car started up this morning without the usual winning / wiring sound coming from the transmission pump. It is great to have it working again. I am sourcing the shift solenoids right now. Hope to purchase some today or tomorrow.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I lost all gears in my tranny the other day. Would not work in any gear until I let it cool down, then I was able to limp home in 1st (limp) gear.

The winning / wiring that was coming from my transmission was because of clogged transmission filter. It was not letting the pump get enough or any fluid.

Fingers crossed it will be ok now. I did read another post where the user had same issue and had put new tranny filter in and he had driven 6000 miles without any more problems.

Looking forward to having my gears shift properly now. 1st to 3rd is not nearly as fun as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc.
ha ha
Old 09-02-12, 02:54 PM
mostone131
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Markster
Ok, so drove my car today after replacing the filter yesterday. Car started up this morning without the usual winning / wiring sound coming from the transmission pump. It is great to have it working again. I am sourcing the shift solenoids right now. Hope to purchase some today or tomorrow.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I lost all gears in my tranny the other day. Would not work in any gear until I let it cool down, then I was able to limp home in 1st (limp) gear.

The winning / wiring that was coming from my transmission was because of clogged transmission filter. It was not letting the pump get enough or any fluid.

Fingers crossed it will be ok now. I did read another post where the user had same issue and had put new tranny filter in and he had driven 6000 miles without any more problems.

Looking forward to having my gears shift properly now. 1st to 3rd is not nearly as fun as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc.
ha ha
Hey did u ever find the solution? I have the exact problem
Old 09-02-12, 09:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

try and avoid the whole flush thing it can make the problem worse. it's better to go with the plain old drain, refill, and new filter.
Old 08-30-13, 05:29 PM
Elusive79
Driver School Candidate

Default Similar Issue

My issue is somewhat the same. The fluid level is fine, but burnt orange, oil change place recommended a flush, but I haven't done it yet. My car has 218,000 miles on it, not sure if the tranny fluid has become part of the seals so not sure if I should flush at all. My main issue is that takeoff seems to be from either 2nd or 3rd gear and once I am at hwy speeds, o/d may or may not kick in. Sometimes it will go into o/d, but kick out, back in, out, etc. etc. One thing to note is that it shifts fine with no shudder or anything like that. any suggestions?
Old 03-23-14, 03:19 PM
Markster
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to fill you all back in so late after I fixed the problem.

I found a transmission parts supplier in my area and went down and told them what transmission I had and asked for the shift solenoid. The guy knew exactly what transmission I had. He said the solenoids are easy to come by because the SC400 transmission is found in several other automobiles like, the jeep grand cherokee and a few others from that era. I'm pretty sure he said cherokee and some other cars.

Anyway, long story short, the parts were about $80 total for the two solenoids and about an hours worth of work.

I am not going to write up how to do it someone else already did that.

But, my sc400 shifts like a dream.

DO NOT REBUILD TRANSMISSION if you have a shifting problem, no matter what anyone/tranny shop tells you.

This is a rather easy fix that I wish I had tackled a couple years earlier.

Anyway, it has been almost a year now and the transmission is perfect. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 03-23-14, 07:35 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mage
Is there a drain plug on the torque converter? (I have a '93 sc400)
I dont think so, that is a closed system, but I could be wrong. Just pour out the old fluid...
Old 03-24-14, 10:53 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mage
maybe i'm missing something... doesn't do much good to drain the small amount of fluid in the pan. and considering the cost of the special fluid ... !
I know for a fact that the LS400 torque converter does not have a drain plug, which probably means the SC400 doesnt as well. Count your blessings...my Explorer takes 9.8 quarts of ATF...and thats a V6...