Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Engine Removal 1UZFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 06:27 AM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Engine Removal 1UZFE

I'm looking into removing my current engine and trans in my 94 Sc400. My rear main seal is leaking and I'm due for a timing belt and water pump. So instead of making those expensive repairs, its makes more sense to me to put the money towards an engine and trans swap.

I have located an engine and transmission from a 95 Sc400 that has approx 150,000 miles. Thats half the mileage I currently have on my car. The prices on the engine and trans are extremely cheap and I can get both for less than $300.

The engine and trans are in a junk yard and the only cache is that I am responsible for removing the engine & trans if I want to buy them. The problem is that the car is in the middle of a junk yard and I'm kind of stumped on what would be the best way to go about removal as far as actually lifting the engine and trans out of the car. Also, is it best to keep the engine and trans together and remove it all as one unit?

I also should have access to a cherry picker, but I've never seen what one even looks like. I'm guessing thats what I'm gonna need to remove the two. If you guys have any insight that would be great. I have the Lexus shop manuals so I think my only problem is gonna be actually lifting the engine and trans from the car.
Old 01-21-12, 07:14 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would start with a cherry picker and some jack stands. It would be easier to remove together but depenes on how the car is sitting and location might be better to seperate. Regardless u will have to loosen exhaust, deive shaft, etc from under car and even the tranny crossmember. I think you shoukd do the maintence instead of this. Especially if you have good comoression on all eigbt cylinders. Jmo. GL on your decision and work in the future. Keep us posted.
Old 01-21-12, 08:28 AM
Str8sikk
Driver

Dude....rear main seal is less thN 40 and waterpump timing kit is 175 on ebay i know cuz i just did this. Lol. Remeber u will have to recharge ur ac, and other misc stuff that add up. And just cuz the motor is in the junk yard dont mean its good. U dont know the real reason its there. Just sayin. I wuld buy those parts hell u culd even do a tune up and still be cheaper. Gl thou
Old 01-21-12, 08:29 AM
Str8sikk
Driver

I jist notcied u never seen a cherry picker. Afyer re reading i wuld advise strongly that u dont pull it unless u have someone who knows how to use one.....
Old 01-21-12, 09:32 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed that you have never seen punctuation, or the english language written out. Here, let me help.

Nobdy will tke U srsly if you reply lke ths

Have two, three helpers (Safety first, then teamwork).

Drain all fluids, and remove all hoses and wires from the chassis, not the engine.

Get under that thing and start unscrewing your engine mounts, and trans mounts.

Hook up the pickah to the lift points on the engine.

Wrestle that pig out, it's going to be a bear!

Drink a 6-pack with your buddies, and marvel at the awesome work you did!

Easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by spoolxexo:
e30antonio (06-24-20), sc400resto (09-11-19)
Old 01-21-12, 03:34 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i would rather tackle the maintenance on your own motor now rather then swap, however if you must swap it i would also recomend doin the same maintenance on the motor your swapping because who knows how long its had that same wp, timing belt, etc. but if your gonna say eff it and swap the motor as it sits, its pretty easy, drain, disconnect, and unbolt everything attached to the motor/trans. hoist it out and cross your fingers that you have a good motor. good luck, remember aint nothin to it but to do it. ;-]
Old 01-21-12, 05:14 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

haha spoolxexo your funny lol. Egangster. seriously dude its a forum not an essay or a formal letter. Have I seen proper punctuation? yes! Did I type with it? No! So maybe you should go back to grammer school and use proper english. Did I type with proper english? No! Do I care? NO! becuase i was on my phone and I didnt feel like correcting my phone over and over. I dont care if someone takes me seriously on here or not its the internet. If you know me in person or by doing biz <<<short hand for business....with me then Ill ask for your respect and to be taken seriously Is that ok with you

I gave valid info to help him out. He said he has never seen a cherry picker. Am I wrong, maybe I dont read well either. Why does everyone have to be smart asses on the internet.

If he feels he is capable then he is, but its still easier to just do the maint on it. poorsupra and 1992lexus please be careful we have the grammer posting police on board and I also noticed you spelled some things wrong too lmao.
Old 01-21-12, 06:37 PM
bthomas
Rookie

HA HA the spell-check gustapoe.

Just wondering...most wrecking yards I have been in are nasty mud-holes (gas, oil,battery acid etc...).
My cherry-picker has 3 inch wheels that would be worthless in that environment. The tiniest of stones will flip a weighted picker over if maneuvered improperly on smooth cement.
I agree with previous posters, you should do belts and main seals before you put another questionable engine in.
If you do decide to get the wrecked one...get a comp check or have them start it up before you throw any money at them. Just smart money, if you are counting penny's put a drip pan under you current engine when parked.
Timing belt....there is no way around it, both engines are due.
Old 01-21-12, 10:00 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses. Mainly I'm just trying to find out if the engine and trans can be pulled out together. If my engine didnt have 300,000 miles on it then I would do the timing belt and water pump job again. As far as the rear main seal I dont have access to a lift and I'm not trying to replace that seal with the car on jack stands. If i do buy the engine I'm going to replace all the seals, water pump and timing belt. I talked to guy at the junk yard and found out they will lift the engine out, I just have to disconnect everything. So i just have to use the cherry picker to unload the engine/trans from the box truck.
Old 01-21-12, 10:19 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop motor from the bottom if you don't have a picker.
Old 01-22-12, 03:14 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Where r u located in md?