Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Getting tired of this

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 12:33 PM
copermn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting tired of this

Ok, so my car only does this when its cold out.

I start the car and the exhuast billows out smoke, but the engine doesn't run like crap so I know it's not a blown headgasket, plus the oil is fine. The smoke also has a slight smell of coolant to it. I have no idea why it's doing this, but it only happens now since it got cold out and its not the headgasket b/c of what I said earlier. Any other ideas? I've never seen anything like this before :/

Oh, also it doesn't overheat, when I drive it.
Old 01-16-12, 03:38 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still a blown head gasket.
Old 01-16-12, 09:29 PM
copermn
Rookie

how so?

it has a brand new head gasket, arp head studs i just installed at the end of summer. it was all fixed up. Only started doing this when it got cold and it stops smoking when the engine warms up. My last car blew its headgasket but when that happened, it billowed smoke the entire time it was driven, even when it was driven. that's why i have a hard time believing that's what the problem is. It may have a little tear in the headgasket, but idk why. it's been fine since i did it, just since it got cold out did it start doing this.
Old 01-16-12, 10:40 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Mine originally did that when I bought it. Fuel pump was dying swapped it and it drove fine until I went with a 1JZ. Still using that pump these days.
Old 01-17-12, 01:11 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Nick, when's the last time you changed the oil? Would it be a good idea to change it and see if there's coolant in it? Just as another way to rule out the head gasket.
Old 01-17-12, 02:12 PM
copermn
Rookie

i checked dipstick and it was fine. drove it today and it didn't do the whole smoking thing. if i just go drive it when i start it, it won't smoke. let it stand it will. and if it is a blown headgasket it'd be smoking ALL the time, which it doesn't. i understand what some people are saying. but it doesn't make sense. sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. it's not a constant smoke and it stops once the car is moving or warmed up. Oil isn't disgusting and coolant doesn't just randomly disappear from the radiator. I lose a little bit of the fluid if i let the car billow out the smoke, but if i drive it after i start it then it won't do that.
Old 01-17-12, 04:35 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your valves?
Old 01-17-12, 11:54 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

instead of smell what color is the smoke, im guessing valve seals also based off very last statement. an even easier way to be sure (if you have a couple hours to spare)..is checking compression.
Old 01-18-12, 12:27 AM
copermn
Rookie

its a white smoke. and i was starting to suspect valve stem seals past few days and i would check compression cept weather here is crap and i leave in a few days to go back to school and will be unable to check it there :/
Old 01-18-12, 04:25 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I'll talk to someone at Kish and see if I can pull it in to look at it on thurs. Its maybe 50/50. But if I can, we could do a compression test.
Old 01-18-12, 05:55 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure it isn't hot exhaust mixing with the cold air during cold idle enrichment mode(startup/idle air)?

You don't see cars on the road doing this all the time in traffic on a cold morning?

If your going to have someone do a compression check, having them do a cylinder leakdown test would be good as well.
Old 01-18-12, 05:57 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It only makes white smoke when the engine is cold on a cold day and then goes away when warmed up meanwhile the car drives absolutely normally without overheating?

Sounds like normal condensation until the exhaust pipe warms up...

edit: Beat me to it

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 01-18-12 at 05:58 AM. Reason: RyanV beat me to it
Old 01-18-12, 10:26 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I believe he's had the smoke problem since before the weather had cooled down. Also I think he said it bellows smoke at idle unless he dives it right away. If it was normal condensation, it would keep smoking. What of the smell of anti freeze?

Sent from Droid
Old 01-19-12, 01:40 PM
copermn
Rookie

well.. I don't think it's a blown headgasket but something is definitely cracked. The oil is milky.. just checked.. but the smoke goes away when its warmed up.. so cracked head? blcok? idk.. but we're going to probably get this

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/35500/10002/-1

and try it out, because they use that stuff in race cars and it works great. so yeah.. i'm pissed since I am leavign today to go back to school.. now I won't be able to work on it while I'm gone, this sucks donkey D***
Old 01-19-12, 04:33 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Head gasket can expand and condense.

When your head gasket warms up, it will start to expand and seal off all the little flaws and uneven surface. Everything will then seem fine.

When your head gasket cools off, it will then condense. Fluid such as your antifreeze and oil can flow through and get into your cylinders, oil system or cooling system.

Quick Reply: Getting tired of this