Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Man! Now Check Engine and Track Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 04:45 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Man! Now Check Engine and Track Off!!!

Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place.
I just did the rubber washer tilt wheel fix, and it worked like a charm (though yanking on the wheel didn't help the telescoping wheel work any better). Took her for a drive to buy some malt beverage and actually see the dash over the steering wheel spoke. When I got back, and was sitting in the driveway, I noticed the check engine and track off lights were now on.

Yesterday I asked about reading codes, as a general question. Now I really do need to know, and can't afford the $180 factory service manual right now. Is that information available here, or online somewhere?

Also, the Track Off scares me --- traction control issues sound potentially very expensive.Has anybody had this happen, and discovered a simple, inexpensive fix? The owner's manual says if it comes on take it to your local Lexus dealer, but that isn't going to happen on my present budget.
Old 01-15-12, 05:10 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Trac off is a function of the CEL being on. Dont worry about that.
Old 01-15-12, 10:19 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is an SC300, bend a paper clip to jump between E1 & TE1 (best to search on retrieving the codes because this is from memory) in the diagnostic connector under the hood. (The pin out is on the underside of the cap.) Get back in the car and turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start the car). The center indicator light will flash continuously but the CEL will blink after about five seconds, then pause and blink again. The first set of blinks is the first digit of the engine code. The second set is the second digit. If the next set differs, it represents another two digit code. So, if you have an Air Flow Meter Signal error you will see three flashes followed by a single flash "31". If you unplugged the MAF you will see two flashes followed by four flashes "24". If you had an error 31 and then unplugged the MAF to limp home you will have three, one, two, four and it will repeat.
Old 01-16-12, 04:25 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Trac off is a function of the CEL being on. Dont worry about that.
You gave me a good feeling with that one, man. I thought I was going to have to look for a Club Ex-Lexus forum.
Old 01-16-12, 04:30 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Thanks Wade. That helps a lot.
All the OBD I codes are two digit then? Is there a pass code between immediate demand codes and stored codes, or will it just give codes that are there?
Will pulling the clip/jumper while its giving codes clear the memory?