Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Radio Issues and More...Tech gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 10:00 PM
Illest18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio Issues and More...Tech gurus needed

Hey everybody, Its a new year and I have new problems.

I have a '93 5spd and today I hit a bump in the road (literally) and now I have no power to my radio or the light surround the cigarette lighter.
I have taken apart the console to check all connections concerning the radio even all fuses. Its an aftermarket radio (Kenwood). This was installed by the previous owner. How do I fix this?

Now tomorrow I need to buy a new battery. The battery tray is falling apart and earlier I realized that the battery wanted to become friends with one of the pulleys. Well the pulley didnt like that and tore it up. So I am also getting a strap as well.

On top of these things now I am getting a squeeking noise coming from either one of the pulleys or clutch fan. I might have to take it to a shop. Where wand why would this noise come about?

Also on top of that I noticed hesitation in high RPMs I can not tell if its the clutch going out or the engine itself. The transmission has been really loud lately as well.

If anyone out there could give me some information concerning these issues that would be great. I am on a budget. YES I HAVE SEARCHED. Thank you.

Last edited by Illest18; 01-01-12 at 10:03 PM. Reason: More issues
Old 01-13-12, 11:01 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse for the radio is under the hood in the fuse box. If you want, we can check your trans fluid next week. It's pretty easy to do. Also, the stutter at high RPM (if under heavy load) could be clogged fuel filter, or fuel pump going bad.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
Old 01-15-12, 01:41 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re: I am getting a squeeking noise coming from either one of the pulleys or clutch fan...where and why would this noise come about?

Lots of possibilities but, in my experience, it is most likely to be the belt tensioner pulley for the serpentine drive belt. However, you mention the battery and the power steering pump pulley met. The power steering pump is my second guess. Get a stethoscope from the auto parts store (under $10) and try to locate the squeal with that. Typically, the noise you are referring to comes from a worn bearing or bushing. Replacing the offending bearing or bushing is usually required.