Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket header CEL problem 2jz-ge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 01:13 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not calling you names. I said you were *like* a little girl, not that you ARE one. At any rate, bring your car to me and I will fix it for you for $20. Seriously. And what constructive suggestions are you looking for out of curiosity? I have already offered a solution to your problem that is low cost, and one that is high cost. Would you like a middle of the road estimate as well?
Old 12-18-13, 01:48 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I'm not calling you names. I said you were *like* a little girl, not that you ARE one. At any rate, bring your car to me and I will fix it for you for $20. Seriously. And what constructive suggestions are you looking for out of curiosity? I have already offered a solution to your problem that is low cost, and one that is high cost. Would you like a middle of the road estimate as well?
Originally Posted by deathsled
you can purchase an o2 simulator and wire it in in place of the 3rd sensor, or you can have a custom flange type spacer made to do same kind of job as the screw in type
congrats you wasted a full page trying to flame war on forum posts to just say the same thing that the second post mentioned and trust me if that would have fixed it i wouldn't be here(haven't tried the simulator cause no shop wants to do that install) .. that was the first attempt by the exhaust shop tried was to space the o2 sensor (they understood the first time i told them the pre-cat in the header was bypassed), im willing to except that maybe they didn't space it far enough but I'm sure not driving from Missouri to your location for you to do the same thing. like i said before I'm not made of money .. and I've sunk most of my money into chasing CEL's and the reason i returned after 2 years was to see if anyone had any fresh ideas .. not to hear and repeate the same thing repeated over and over again..
Old 12-18-13, 01:55 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Adam -Please let him figure it on his own ...

GL OP, Please refrain from the personal attacks or name calling.
Old 12-18-13, 02:01 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I think I may have a solution for you. That 3rd o2 is the flange type right, so how are you going to thread in one of those extenders if theres no thread?

I think if you buy this o2, it comes with a threaded/detachable Toyota-style flange and a gasket for it. If you bolt on the flange, you could then thread in one of those extenders, and then thread in the new o2.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...780&cc=1187568

I know it's not OEM Denso, but for 40 bucks it might be worth a try I think.
Old 12-18-13, 02:05 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Candela
OP, I think I may have a solution for you. That 3rd o2 is the flange type right, so how are you going to thread in one of those extenders if theres no thread?

I think if you buy this o2, it comes with a threaded/detachable Toyota-style flange and a gasket for it. If you bolt on the flange, you could then thread in one of those extenders, and then thread in the new o2.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...780&cc=1187568

I know it's not OEM Denso, but for 40 bucks it might be worth a try I think.
finally someone hears my plea for help, ill look into it and give it a shot ... and tyvm for the link
+10 internet points for an original idea

already have the threaded fouler so this could work

Last edited by Override; 12-18-13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 02:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the fouler trick is not the best solution in the world. the inspection guys will see a fouler right away. good luck with that. you can use one of these, just had to search google for toyota o2 adapter.
http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...-Flange/Detail

And for the record, stockhatch posted the correct solution before you became defensive and told him to read, which he clearly did. He is a knowledgeable member who took the time to try and help you out.

the proper thing to do in your case is to take the o2 sensor thats only purpose is to detect a cat, and relocate it to after your cat. it takes 4 wires of the proper length from radioshack for under $10, some crimps and a new bung. If your exhaust guy cannot weld a bung on an exhaust for you then you need to find a new exhaust guy.

thread closed. If you want it reopened PM me with a good reason why.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-18-13 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 09:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Re-opened temporarily by request of OP to post the results. keep it positive or the thread will be deleted.
Old 12-19-13, 11:01 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Batiatus
I have these headers installed and have never had a CEL. I wonder if its something else causing it. Maybe one of the O2 sensors got messed up during installation. What year is the car?
I'm more inclined to believe Batiatus' response now that after replacing the mid pipe (that had a giant hole before the 3rd o2 censor and six patches in it and wield job that was referred to as "chicken poop" )

I sent this link to my exhaust guy who also sided with me/Batiatus and told me the code P0420 was not showing up anymore due to the mid pipe issue the remaining cause is a P0171 (as of 12/19/2013 9am) witch he stated could just be a lose hose or bad seal and my exhaust guy is basing his knowledge on 34 years of experience as the owner and lead mechanic of the garage.

so for those of you following at home here is the whole break down

stock 2jz-ge with MVP Motorsport header, with all new o2 censors, new exhaust gasket between header and mid pipe, new custom fabricated mid pipe, with 3rd o2 censor in stock location with custom extension at the base of the flange to avoid any possible P0420 commonly associated with aftermarket headers, the new mid pipe extends to the brand new catalytic converter and custom Y-pipe that feeds into the Original resonators and mufflers at the back axle.

i hope this clarifies any confusion

i hope to have a follow up report when i get the car back from the shop (it spends more time in the shop then in my own garage )
Old 12-19-13, 11:54 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Is your Car a 96-97 Sc300?

96-97 have 3 O2 sensors. just like the one posted in that picture, under the car right under the passenger floor board.
Old 12-19-13, 11:57 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Is your Car a 96-97 Sc300?

96-97 have 3 O2 sensors. just like the one posted in that picture, under the car right under the passenger floor board.
that is correct .. 2 o2 censors are located in the MVP header and the 3rd o2 censor is located within the first 3-4 inches of the start of the mid pipe
Old 12-19-13, 02:03 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^^^ Lol if you would mentioned that the car was 96-97 , you problem would've been solved 2 years ago.

gl
Old 12-19-13, 07:38 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

4th post down says at 12-29-11, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Override
Its a 1997non vvti
Originally Posted by Quicksc4
^^^ Lol if you would mentioned that the car was 96-97 , you problem would've been solved 2 years ago.

gl
and even my profile right under my name says 1997 Lexus SC

i dont know how that was that was missed
Old 12-20-13, 05:09 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^^ There you go again with the smart comments..
Old 01-18-14, 02:24 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

I got the car back .. and it runs great (Best condition its ever been!) .. but the CEL is back again .. but this time i can completely confirm that P0420 and P0401 and officially gone however....

I had the P0171 looked at and even had the MAF cleaned and hoses checked and supposedly the vac system is not the problem ... i hear that cleaning the MAF on these cars is risky business and may not even fix the issue

I understand that a P0171 is a Bank 1 Lean code and the shop I've taken the car to has claimed to rule out everything but the MVP Header and I'm desperately clinging to Batiatus's advice but not being technically inclined (automotive speaking) I have no counter argument to try to preserve this part or prevent it from being modified and i don't wish to buy the OEM manifold due to its rarity and expensive price tag

My only argument for keeping the MVP header is that the P0171 is a relatively recent code (had the header for 2 years .. and the code for less then 6 months old) and could only imagine that if the MVP header "may" be responsible by causing this recent code is due to the new down pipe is now holding proper back pressure and is now causing this code... i could be wrong but its the only think i can logically think of

any suggestions?
Old 01-25-14, 04:16 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read this thread since I am having a similar issue.

93 1st gen 2jzge. Bank one lean condition. 17-18:1 AFR part throttle. Exhaust is hot hot hot after a short trip.

It happened after a header install, I added an AEM UEGO, so I only have one 02 sensor.

Tried tying in 1 o2 sensor into the two inputs, no luck.

Realized My car wouldn't start without the fuel pump ECU bypass.

I am suspecting that my Fuel Pressure Regulator is bypassing too much flow, causing the lean condition.

Does this sound like a possibility?