Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: which fan are you using/happy with
electric fans
43.75%
stocker clutch fan
56.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

clutch fan or electric fan???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 11:06 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch fan or electric fan???

so iam on the fence here. currently on my track/daily rb powered s13 i have a dual electric fan setup. that uses a toggle switch. it is a drag on the alt in the hot summer months. espically on track days. now i don't have a ac unit on this car.

on the other hand i do plan to run ac on my 1jz sc. and i wan'ted to keep the stock clutch fan to reduce drag on the power system on hot days.

But i hear the electric fans have a better cooling efficency. and i must agree on my current car it does. (rb's are known to run hot esp at the track). so what iam asking is who has clutch and who has electric???

ive heard of people switching from one or the other..
Old 12-24-11, 05:04 PM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running electric fans but it's only to clear up the clutter up front so my chrome pullies are not being blocked. I also only drive my car about 4-5 times a month..

IMO, nothing cools better than OEM so if you're looking for the best cooling option, I would say to keep your Fan Clutch. That's just my $.02..
Old 12-24-11, 06:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have to agree with the above statement. I think with all the threads I have read on here is to keep the stock fan and the STOCK fan shroud. This does the job, not one without the other. Yes some people think otherwise and will continue to do it their way. I on the other hand, like the clean OEM look and the doing things right. I didnt vote due to me not being able to tell you the truth due to my install not in and running yet.
Old 12-24-11, 06:51 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or go with an OEM electric setup and have the best of both. An electric fan has max flow exactly where you need it the most and clutch fans are the weakest: at idle or low rpms. The good aftermarket fans cost a fortune and the cheap ones aren't worth buying.

The solution? Pick up an OEM fan for a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII. There are dozens of walkthroughs on these exact fans, along with suggestions on what fan controller to use with them. They'll last forever and their CFM is through the roof. Electric fans mean fastest engine warmup and cooldown too.

Google the Taurus/Lincoln fan swap and you'll see why it's so good. I plan to switch my Ram to this soon. I don't expect to touch my SC unless its stock hydraulic fan quits.
Old 12-24-11, 11:35 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I say stick with the stock fan and stock shroud. I'm running those and have never had a cooling problem (knocks on wood). The stock fan is pretty beefy and moves plenty of air even for pretty harsh driving conditions, in my experience.
Old 12-25-11, 05:30 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Mr moo what year taurus? And the last gen mark 8? I ask because I've never heard of these fans being used. I will look that up on google. More, more testimonys people!
Old 12-25-11, 11:32 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

You're shooting for the 3.8 liter Taurus from the mid 90s. The Mark VIII has a larger version that might be too much for what we need, and it pulls over 30 amps while running. Not only are the fans powerful but they also are mounted in their own shroud and it's easy to adapt it to fit most vehicles.

Taurus fan (img found at delta4x4club.com)

You can use a standard fan controller that sells for around $100 or go with a fancier model. Many people are happy with this one (the first model) in the $160 range.

Google for Taurus fan mod and you'll be reading for weeks! They're on everything from Corvettes to F150s.
Old 12-27-11, 07:23 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do your research on that Taurus fan bro.. I did and read that during start up, it pulls 90amps.. not something you want to run without the proper supporting alternator, wiring and relays..
Old 12-27-11, 07:59 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Lots of items pull that kind of amperage for a fraction of a second. It's constant current that is the only real concern, and it's around 10 amps which is standard for any electric fan with real capability. Do you think Ford equipped every rental-grade Taurus with some kind of special electrical system?

Like this site says, the installation is the most important factor. He's got a chart of current readings under various conditions, including a comparison with a SPAL aftermarket fan. I think this is a lot more useful than some guy's youtube video that shows a spike for a few milliseconds.
Old 12-27-11, 03:54 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Yes, a 130 amp motocraft alt. is no better than a 110-120 Denso unit that we have.
Old 12-28-11, 01:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I use the stock fan and shroud, very dependable cooling. I do want to upgrade to IS300 electric fans though.
Looks Clean, has coolant reservoir which is nice cause ours is in the way of the FMIC most of the time.
Its an OEM Toyota part designed for a 2jz, its a perfect match. they are pricey however.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...minum-radiator

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-28-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 02:20 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran e-fans (hayden), both constant and off of temp and they did the job.. however due to a faulty relay, I decided to go back to stock clutch fan for now.. HOWEVER, I do miss the cleaner bay. I will be going back to e-fans should I decided to keep the ride..
Old 01-01-12, 05:52 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

these lexus units look very appealing..
Old 01-01-12, 08:21 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone who has used both the electric fans setup and a huge stock clutch fan (and had the ability to actually monitor temps with ems or an aftermarket coolant temp gauge) will tell you that the stock clutch fan is much better. People generally only use the e-fans for looks or for more clearance. The stock fans on these cars flow more air, are much quieter, and dont create any more drag than a big e-fan (people like to argue this one), they are much simpler (no relays and such) and theyre much more reliable.
Feek free to read up on this on supraforums. Often discussed topic over there.
Old 01-01-12, 08:40 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although i like more mechanical equipment in my car, the fan i chose electrical, because it gives me more control. I usually don't even turn them on unless i'm parked for over 20 minutes in 100 degree weather.You guessed it,its an N/A

Quick Reply: clutch fan or electric fan???