Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone retrofit an ISC to an aftermarket intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:07 PM
deathsled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone retrofit an ISC to an aftermarket intake manifold?

So I purchased my sc300 with a custom front facing intake manifold with a giant throttle body. It works great and sounds awesome but it has no provision for the idle controller. The car runs fine without it but startup usually takes a moment and a little feathering of the throttle until things get going (you're doing the ISCs pretty much).

I know that in the 3000GT/Stealth world (where I've lived a long time) a guy once made a little adapter block for the ISC (appears to be the same basic design as on the 2JZ) for people with aftermarket intake manifolds that you could bolt the ISC into and then run hoses from it to before and after the TB.

Has anyone ever made anything like this for the 2JZ? What do people with FFIMs usually do about the ISC? Or does everyone just delete it and deal with it?
Old 12-21-11, 07:58 AM
1gzfeTurbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you're into finite element analysis for optimal design and placement, I'd say just look at what Toyota's engineers did, fab something up with aluminum stock, drill it, tap it, cut it, deburr, assemble with some RTV and see what happens. I personally don't enjoy playing with the choke to start a car, but I do enjoy playing with metal

If it doesn't work right you would have to stick block-off plates on there which for the size of the ISC wouldn't affect much. You'd also probably have to extend the harness.

Hope this helps.