Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First sc300!!! overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 10:07 PM
cpbehling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation First sc300!!! overheating

Sorry to waste every ones time with my nonsense but I just recently bought a 92 Lexus SC300, 2JZ.
It was a project car of the previous owner. I paid $3000 (was asking 4000) talked em down.
It looks great, runs good but i recently discovered a problem.
I drove it about 40miles no problems but when i recently pulled into a parking lot and stopped I noticed it over heating and white smoke billowing out from the hood and under the car. I popped the hood and looked around and I noticed it coming from the very rear of the engine, behind the throttle between the rear of the engine and the dash (no where near the radiator or the hose)
It was was making a loud hissing, pressure sound for a while then slowly went away.
What could this be?

Last edited by cpbehling; 12-17-11 at 10:54 PM. Reason: !!!
Old 12-17-11, 11:26 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

could be your head gasket, do you have any pictures?
Old 12-18-11, 01:35 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What color is the coolant? If green it's less likely to be HG.

Could be that retarded rear coolant hose that goes to the heater core. Mine leaked. Had to pull the motor to get the SOB off. Cracked my windshield in the process.
Old 12-18-11, 07:24 AM
cpbehling
Driver School Candidate

Default First sc300!!!

Im trying to post pictures but they arent uploading properly.
I noticed a brown gook when i opend the radiator cap and there was no water in the radiator..?
Old 12-18-11, 07:28 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Looks like that head needs to come off. Sounds like a lifted HG.
Old 12-18-11, 08:06 AM
cpbehling
Driver School Candidate

Y would there be white smoke coming from the center rear of the engine..between the engine and the dash? with a hissing pressure sound
Old 12-18-11, 01:17 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, add some water to that car. My suggestion is to flush that engine out completely. Drain that oil, flush whatever crappy water is in the radiator. I have a feeling they put some stop leak crap in there or something. Change the thermostat and start her up again. Hopefully you can save the engine or replace it soon. Start by being optimistic and try to flush everything and start her up again. If it is still overheating then double check the clutch fan.
Old 12-18-11, 03:36 PM
cpbehling
Driver School Candidate

I had my friend look at it and hes thinking it one of these three things: gasket leak, waterpump or cooling line. Like I said the steam is coming from the very rear of the engine between the engine and dash.
Im trying to find the cheapest way to temporally keep this car going so i dont have to dump money in to it. Im looking to get a new 2jz and slap a turbo on it.
Old 01-13-12, 01:41 PM
Lexusoarus
Driver School Candidate

If the car stalls out as soon as you turn the key and make a putting noise, that's your gasket. And yes that may have been more like steam than smoke. After that happened my radiator busted from the overheating...
Old 01-13-12, 04:04 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbehling
I had my friend look at it and hes thinking it one of these three things: gasket leak, waterpump or cooling line. Like I said the steam is coming from the very rear of the engine between the engine and dash.
Im trying to find the cheapest way to temporally keep this car going so i dont have to dump money in to it. Im looking to get a new 2jz and slap a turbo on it.
there is so much wrong with this post

why put any money into it if ur just gunna get a new motor and turbo it anyway.. take it off the road and take ur time getting what u need. properly flush the cooling system and pull the dipstick for the oil to check for "chocolate milk" on the stick.

this is one of those cases where pictures would really help use help you

3rdly a cheap fix is not a guaranteed fix and if it is my car i would rather take the time to find the real issue and fix it properly rather then throwing a cheap can of headgasket fix in ur engine (DO NOT USE THAT STUFF)
Old 01-14-12, 01:44 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

in my 1jz i had the rear coolant hose, which your and a few other people are referring to bust. i could drive it for a few days then id notice the temps would jump. i come to a stop and see white smoke and a hissing noise. i took my phone, put it on video with the flashlight on to see if i could see anything.. this is what i found:

skip to 00:30

turned out the previous owner used normal hose and not heater hose. took about 45 minutes to get off and a new one on.
Old 01-15-12, 09:42 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you solved it before the engine was ruined.
Old 01-15-12, 12:16 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

I think you lucked out that it wasn't the other hose by the heater core. From the driver's side I can reach that hose blindly pretty easily. The side going into the firewall was such a biotch I had to pull the motor.