Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Top hose prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 06:25 AM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Top hose prob

My sc300 top radiator hose has to much pressure. Searched already cant find anything heat is coming out cool water pump,thermostat,radiator all new bottom hose doesnt get hot no overheating at all need help
Old 01-13-12, 01:31 PM
Lexusoarus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same exact problem...I changed out my Radiator, the hose, thermostat and cap. The car isn't running hot at all but the top hose is pressured like a freaking balloon and it's new. I replaced the hose because the other one busted from so much pressure. So what I do is drive to work with the radiator cap slightly on to release pressure.
Old 01-13-12, 03:56 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

msc300 you might have an air pocket or the radiator might be clogged. can u give me some more info about ur cars maintenance? also where in ? NJ are you i might be able to lend a helping hand
Old 01-13-12, 03:58 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusoarus
I have the same exact problem...I changed out my Radiator, the hose, thermostat and cap. The car isn't running hot at all but the top hose is pressured like a freaking balloon and it's new. I replaced the hose because the other one busted from so much pressure. So what I do is drive to work with the radiator cap slightly on to release pressure.
that is hurting your vehicles performance and correct operation. when you changed the radiator did u bleed out al lthe air properly?
Old 01-15-12, 10:04 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Have you checked for a head gasket problem? My radiator separated (top of tank from core) when the HG failed. My daughter has been driving the car for the last three years and I suspect the problem developed over time. It is also possible you have a stuck thermostat. They are cheap and easy to get to. In the SC300 the upper radiator hose should not require bleeding. At least that has been my experience and is consistent with the design: the upper radiator hose connects at the top of the radiator and it rises above the level of the engine. TRY this: 1) raise the front end so you can easily turn the wheels in the air (as you would for a power steering fluid flush). 2) remove the radiator cap. 3) Add fluid up to half an inch from the top if space is available. 4) Lightlysqueeze the upper radiator hose and confirm no air bubbles come out. 5) top off the radiator, reinstall the cap, and lower the car.