Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power gains without Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-11, 07:51 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power gains without Turbo?

Hi there

I am new here. I just bought my first Lexus after wanting one so long. It's a 1993 Lexus SC300 Original White color, Automatic and is in pretty great shape. No problems, just a great car to get in and go.

I would like to know what I can buy to make the car a little faster without going turbo.

Would a Injen Air Intake system help it much? Or is the stock air intake system better?
Would a 5zigen Fireball Exhaust system fmake it faster?
Would a aftermarket header make it faster?

I've read that replace the Intake, Header, and Exhaust will make a car faster? Wondering if this goes the same for the 93 Lexus SC300. Or is it that Toyota/Lexus spent millions of dollars to engineering their stock system to where putting an Aftermarket Intake system, header, and exhaust will not be better than stock?

Thanks
Old 12-04-11, 07:59 PM
durps
Lead Lap

From what I've read, you're better off keeping the stock intake and doing the BFI mod to it, than getting an aftermarket one. If you're on those guys that likes those nice sexy engine bays, then go for an aftermarket, but it'll be better to stick with the stock one.
As for the other questions, I have no clue haha, I'm still reading up on these cars until I get mine after paying off some student loans and stuff.
Old 12-04-11, 08:15 PM
D3adfla5h
Driver School Candidate

I would assume as with many many other cars that more air flow increases more power. My 95 BMW had pretty big gains after adding and aftermarket intake. Headers and went straight pipe after the high flow cat..I don't have dyno sheets but I could feel the difference with no question.
I have an sc4 currently not running but going to go the same route for starters and see what happens
Old 12-04-11, 08:16 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

On my 300zx twin turbo, by upgrading to the twin air doolz intake, it gave it a quicker response. By putting a Stillen Twin Turbo Exhaust system, it made the engine flow better and feels quicker as well. Same goes for the twin turbo downpipes.

I was wondering if the above can be changed out on the Lexus SC300 and gain some type of performance. I'm going to get a coilover system next weekend so I can lower the car to get better stance. Hopefully it'll lower the center of gravity and make it slighly faster.

After researching the BFI mod, I'm not sure if this applies to the SC300. Will it work greatly for the SC300? I've read that it helps significantly for the SC400 V8 models but not much to the SC300 models.

What about replacing the stock torque converter on the Automatic transmission with LuxuryMod's High Performance Torque Converter? I would assume it'll make it more responsive.

Last edited by 300ZXSC300; 12-04-11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 08:19 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will get a little bit of additional power with an intake, headers, and exhaust. I'm not sure if anyone has a dyno sheet to show the gains though. It's a lot of money for those simple bolt ons. Just remember, out of the box NA-T kits are only $1,500 these days. You'll get A LOT more power.
Old 12-04-11, 08:25 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as I can tell, the goh-zigen exhaust is axle back, not cat-back. sound and visual upgrade, only.
In order to obtain best results, full exhaust including header are mandatory for NA applications.
BFI, as mentioned above for intake.
will probably net about 25-30hp more over stock.
tuning will be the big thing, probably eek out another 15, maybe.
Then, to get the real power out of NA, you'll want to dump the power-sapping auto for a manual.
you'll need to build an engine, high comp. pistons, pnp head, etc.
and more tuning.

make more than a 2jzgte swap? maybe, but you'll have maxed out the ability of an NA motor by this point, and spent the same money.
Old 12-04-11, 08:39 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

I'm not too familiar will turbo applications as far as routing them. I know there are NA-T kits out there, but I'm not at that point to where I am capable of rigging it up. I don't even know how to service my own 300zx twin turbo other than add on some aftermarket parts unrelated to the turbos.

Is there a guide that will describe to you how to convert auto to manual? I would need a clutch pedal assembly and all that. ouch!
Old 12-04-11, 09:31 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, the difference between a z32 and an sc is night and day for turbos. on the SC, you don't have to remove the engine to do any major work.
NA-T swap is relatively easy. (compared to changing plugs on a vg30de, anyway). Plenty of guys have done it, just browse around a bit, you'll see what they take. Also, the mkiv supra has the same motor, plenty of guys take their NA motors, and turn them into turbo cars (come to think of it, they did exactly that in Fast and the Furious!)
Old 12-04-11, 09:47 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never heard of any really powerful nonturbo 2jzge engines.

if u could spend the money im sure you could make a strong 300hp n/a engine. but it would cost some money
Old 12-05-11, 07:00 AM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

Great. Thanks for the information. I will need more researching on how to route turbo pipes, what's involve in a turbo system, how they function, and etc. Not yet for a turbo project yet, but I'm willing to learn all about it. I love my 93 Lexus SC300.
Old 12-05-11, 07:17 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Search naturally aspirated supra with ITB's. I believe it was red and was posted on Canibeat earlier this year.

EDIT, found a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJwjHg5XM58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSybI...eature=related

Last edited by Tabaka; 12-05-11 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 01:54 PM
Shfordman
Driver School Candidate

whats up everyone i have a black on black 93 lexus sc 300 y would it better to keep the stock intake? to add more power would it be good to get bigger injectors or should i just keep the stock ones...i plan onn gettig a turbo but before that i want to ge as much horsepower as i can without it
Old 12-05-11, 05:48 PM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

I work on cars daily, just put together a 2004 Volkswagaon Jetta 2.5L engine and 5 speed tranny that a automotive shop gave up on. They did rebuilt the engine but didn't put anything together, so I took over the entire job. This was a week ago, and now I got the entire engine timed, new waterpump, new belts, new knock sensors new basically everything along with pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing. Fired the car up this afternoon and it idles great. Imagine taking someone's job where the engine and transmission is completely stripped and parts are stored in the back truck all over the place. My customer came and picked up the car and paid me $4,000. That should be way more than enough to fund my engine project.

With the above said, I'm going to purchase a JDM 2JZ Non Turbo motor locally from a Japan Importer for $350 with 9 months warranty. I'm going to put that 2JZ on a engine stand and break it down and build it up. Opt for the TT headgasket as well and better head bolts. In the mean time, I can read more on the NA-Turbo setup. My car just has too many mileage, even though it drives great with no problem. It's a good thing I'm getting the JDM 2JZ Non Turbo motor as a spare to build upon.

I"m looking at the Suprastore.com for the Twin Turbo headgasket for the 2JZ non turbo. Seems like a awesome website.
Old 12-05-11, 08:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 300ZXSC300

I"m looking at the Suprastore.com for the Twin Turbo headgasket for the 2JZ non turbo. Seems like a awesome website.
Yeah........... it's........ not. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6771400-post307.html
Old 12-06-11, 07:18 AM
300ZXSC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Oh wow. Didn't know that. It seemed like a great modification places for the 2JZ NA-T, 2JZGTTE, 1JZGTTE. I'll guess I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads up. Not in a rush to get the parts though.

Gotta pick up the motor this weekend then spend some time removing all the add on accessories that comes with it extra power steering, alternator, ac compressor, cut harness, broken sensors and etc. Prepping the motor of the unless junks first before I remove the head.

Quick Reply: Power gains without Turbo?