Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supshortblock or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 01:52 PM
scmissle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supshortblock or rebuild?

Im stll learning about the good old 2JZ engines and plan on learning a lot more. I have been on hold, but I am looking into building a car for road race and time attack. These will be street class competitors but the Berk Technology cars are going to be a well known problem. I'm just wondering if i used a Toyota 2JZGTE block with my NA-T setup im building how well will this engine hold in time attack? It will be professionally assembled, but im wondering how much at high rpms will the new shortblock hold together. I have been told they can take 8K RPM, but im concerned on that. For the price of the new shortblock i canalmost reuse my old block and get forged rods, pistons and good ARP hardware, but im also concerened of the block cracking due to high miles (180K). If anybody has rebuilt a high milage block and had success using forged components please let me know!
Old 11-30-11, 03:37 PM
1100HP
Driver

Take it to a reputable shop and have them go ovr the block. They will tell you iwhat condition it is in. If it is fine have them go 20 over and build with high qualty parts. I rev my motor up to 9500 rpms and dont have any problems. Also my motor is pushing out over 1000whp and for road racing you will only need about half of that.
Old 11-30-11, 04:45 PM
scmissle
Rookie

Thanks for the rely. Im thinking CP Pistons and running BC Rods and ARP head and main studs. Another question I have is being a road race car would i be able to get away using eagle rods? Im not going anything over 600HP, and my frends Mustang runs eagles with no problems even after 45K miles.
Old 11-30-11, 06:39 PM
1100HP
Driver

My motor has CP pistons, Carillo rods and Titan 272 Cams. To tell you the truth I would go with Manley Turbo Tuff Rods, Cp Pistons, a 264 cam, ARP L19 studs, and the Titan ATI. If you built that motor it would laugh at 600whp and last forever. Do not get caught up in the hype that you have to have a certain rod, piston, cam, etc. To many bandwagon people out there that tell you what parts to use when they either have never attained your goal, or have never had experience with a product.