Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dash wiring! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 08:02 AM
C3BlacIce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dash wiring! Why?

I've been having a time with this purchase of my first sc300 recently the climate controll went so reading different theards I decided i'd take a stab at it by checking fuses again and looking for coins around the cig lighter. Well went for the fuses on the kick panel and to my surprise There was a cluster of cut and spliced wires. Sad at my new problem i begin to tear in, and my dash lights went out completely! no temp reading,rpm, backlight nothing! i immedetely put it back together only to find nothing still worked. I have pics but cant post untill tonight but i do have one colpret. the two sides had been grounded and the top taped to a 12v lead. Im not sure what this is or what it does but im sure its something with the lights. anyone please with a diagram or info on this part/problem would greatly help.

I'll post pics when i find my usb.
Old 11-30-11, 08:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Anyone who searched diagram and cluster would return the hits that all these are in my gallery. https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=13879
Old 11-30-11, 11:22 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

usually when I search I search the forums...Oh and op, unless you are connecting and/or unplugging connectors, leave the wires alone. There is a LOT of wiring in these cars. If it aint broke dont fix it
Old 11-30-11, 03:12 PM
C3BlacIce
Driver School Candidate

@ O.L.T. :Im still lost on your diagram but do appreciate it.

@2jznosht: I searched the same and no go, and when i put the pics up you'll see why they had to come out (speaker wire shouldn't be a solution lol) I'll let you guys know what happened. Thanks
Old 11-30-11, 03:48 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by C3BlacIce
I've been having a time with this purchase of my first sc300 recently the climate controll went so reading different theards I decided i'd take a stab at it by checking fuses again and looking for coins around the cig lighter. Well went for the fuses on the kick panel and to my surprise There was a cluster of cut and spliced wires. Sad at my new problem i begin to tear in, and my dash lights went out completely! no temp reading,rpm, backlight nothing! i immedetely put it back together only to find nothing still worked. I have pics but cant post untill tonight but i do have one colpret. the two sides had been grounded and the top taped to a 12v lead. Im not sure what this is or what it does but im sure its something with the lights. anyone please with a diagram or info on this part/problem would greatly help.

I'll post pics when i find my usb.
This is generally what happens when people who donk know the elecrical systems in these cars start doing that. I say leave it alone because I tried messing with wires and blew out a ton of kick panel fuses lol. Did the display go out, but heat and air work?
Old 12-01-11, 05:55 AM
C3BlacIce
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved, did more researched and found out that there was a bad ground all along. i did eventually put everything back minus the (literally) 4 ft of extra wire.[/IMG]

This part is what got my confused the most without it being grounded and jumped to the ignition the dash was solid blank. Can anyone let me know what it is..

This was the culprit. Thanks to all.