Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Pump? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 08:41 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump? (video)

I'm trying to diagnose this strange noise coming from my car..its only when the wheel is turning..Power steering pump?

http://youtu.be/K75hHrSzeqs?t=1m15s
Old 11-25-11, 09:05 PM
Initial J
Driver

YEAH THAT! i've been wondering the same thing too. i really think it is the PS pump. i've been doing some research on the boards and people have said to flush out the whole system. i also was reading that a guy bought a new PS pump and still had the same problem, to fix his problem he has to completely bleed his PS pump by taking off one of the lines and the belt then hand turning everything so that the fluid levels would even out perfectly then the problem was gone for him.

this only happens on cold cold starts and i bet it's happening to a lot of people right now, including myself
Old 11-25-11, 09:18 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your wheel hits the limit then it makes that sound.. or thats what happen to my SC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnG_9-VK84s

If it sounds like that change your PS fluid.
Old 11-25-11, 09:24 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There are alot of things that affect the power steering pump to make noise, could be air in the system, dirt in the system, needs power steering fluid, clogged system, etc...

First thing you do is flush the system. Never hurts to do this once in a while. Here's a guide to completely flush the system and bleed the system; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

While you're at it, check your ventilation hoses. There are only 2; 1 attaches to the intake and another to the manifold. If the hose is already hard and worn change it. It can really cause the PS pump to have hard time creating noise.

Since I changed my PS pump, rack and pinion and high pressure hose I haven't had this problem after bleeding the entire system. Although I changed to the driftmotion.com steel braided high pressure hose which completely deletes the 2 ventilation hoses, so my PS pump whines if I'm on an angled surface and my wheels are turned all the way. Not that loud though, nothing really that would bother me.
Old 11-25-11, 09:29 PM
ads_mobile
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like your pump is going bad. Don you have any leaks from it ever before? Is there bubbles in your ps fluid? Is your fluid black? You can try changing your fluid, but guessing it's a 95 model or and 130 k new or rebuilt pump should do trick
Old 11-30-11, 03:45 PM
1100HP
Driver

Most of the time it is due to air pockets in the power steering system. Flush the system if it hasn't been done in a while and then bleed it properly.
Old 12-02-11, 07:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Murco
Also, NEVER hold the steering wheel against the stops. R&P systems do not have a pressure relief and you'll hear a groan from one when the pressure builds-up at max deflection. This may also lead to pressure spikes that cause seal leaks over time.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...questions.html

Originally Posted by Murco
After working on cars for almost 20 years these are new too me so I'm kind of excited to find a solution, mine is leaking somewhere!

When they are old to you and you know how Lexus put the *wonderful* variable power assist pressure valves on them, come back to the conversation.
Old 12-03-11, 12:06 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
When they are old to you and you know how Lexus put the *wonderful* variable power assist pressure valves on them, come back to the conversation.
Thanks for the welcome, I'll figure it out myself...